"Charging" Guests - how much?

Al,

You didn't ask for this - a differing opinion. And I'm going to come off as a little rude. Eeek. But I just don't get it. I really don't. I don't understand charging guests. And I never will.

To each their own. It's just been such a lovely part of my DVC experience - sharing it.

Oh boy. I just had to write it. A la I really tried to stop my fingers from typing and I just couldn't seem to stop them. :lmao: ;)

Nonetheless, I hope you have a wonderful time. Sounds like a terrific vacation.

Lisa

I agree! We're staying at the SSR grand villa next week with 6 other people and I'm not asking them to pay. They are my guests. I think the only time I would have them pay is if I'm not going with them. They can pay the maintance fees for those points. I think that's fair. They are still getting a good deal out of it.
Mark

My mom has a standing invitation to go with me whenever I go. (And she's only turned me down once - and that's because I was going to a convention!) So, the deal we have worked out is that she pays half of my yearly maintenance fees - about $350. I figure that's still a pretty good bargain for her. So far, I've already taken her on a DCL cruise in a balcony cabin (using double developer points) and a 5 day stay at the AKV. In October, we're going to spend a week at AKV followed up by 4 days at HHI. She seems happy with deal, and it would have cost her a lot more if we had paid cash for all of this. Her theory is that since I put out the initial outlay of almost $17,000 that she should contribute in some way, and I do think that is fair.

My best friend and I are going in Jan. for a girls trip. We're staying in a value studio at AKV Sun.-Thurs. It's going to cost a lot more for her to get there (flying from Denver) than for me (flying from DC), plus she has to buy her pass and meals, so I have no intention of charging her. BUT I'm sure she's going to insist, so I decided if she can't be stopped to charge her share of my maintenance fees for that stay. It's 8 points a night, so 32 points total, divided by half so 16 points for her portion. 16 x 4.71=$75.36, which isn't much but covers a month's worth of dues for me so I'm happy :).

I'm sure it won't be enough for her, but really the only payment I need is to see her!

Hmm my family is a bit different. General rule of thumb - whomever is putting up their timeshare for use gets reimbursed somehow. In my upcoming family case, I offered to host as a thank you and wanted to share my DVC. Our next vacation after that is w/ friends and again we offered with the understanding - this time is free, after that some compensation is due.

I'm fine w/ rounding up dues to the next even dollar and charging based on the difference between a 1 bdrm and and whatever more was booked. But each individual is a case by case basis.

Good Luck!

When we invite people to stay with us, we don't charge them. When family and close friends ask to use our points, we charge them. Usually $10/point.

Here's why we charge: those are points that we would otherwise bank for a future vacation or rent if we could not vacation that year for some reason. Also, it takes time to call MS and arrange their stay and to set up ME and DDP if they opt for those offerings...sometimes, it takes multiple calls to get them as close to what they want as possible. We feel that our vacation points and time are worth something and we've never had friends or family who asked to use points be upset for paying $10/point, especially when they've already researched the cash price for the room that they would be staying in. ;)

ETA - We have 2 relatives who invited themselves along while we are there in Oct. We will ask them for $$ for their room since they invited themselves and want to stay where we stay.

This is very well said - if you invite them, don't charge. If they ask to use your points, charge them. I would find it hard to charge family members but I know my family would offer to pay but I wouldn't accept. If they want to "treat" us in return, then I may accept a couple dinners paid by them. In the sense that you are using more points than if it were just your immediate family going, then I would "charge" them half of what you would a stranger renting points from you. Otherwise, they could just rent points from another DVC owner which may be cheaper than what you would charge. But ultimately this is your decision that you have to feel comfortable with without causing family problems!

I have never charged any guests, friends or family, for sharing our DVC with us. I have had guests buy us dinner, gift cards, groceries, etc. for being able to stay with us. Part of the fun of having DVC is being able to share it with those who are close to me. JMHO....

I was planning a trip along w/ my 4 adult members of my family w/ 2 kids and two additional in-laws. Before I bought DVC we stayed at POP and every family paid for their own rooms. This trip I am renting a 2 bedroom and a 1 bedroom. They are paying me the cost of what a room @ POP would have been. Everyone is of course getting their own tickets and dinning plan. I plan on using part of the money to buy the family tickets to MVMCP (except for the in-laws since they aren't mine they are on their own).

I am also using my frequent flier miles for as many tickets as I can get. I can't afford to take too much of a monetary hit but if I can help out so we can all have a nice vacation I'll do my best.

I think this would be a case by case situation. If you are taking friends or family members who you know couldn't afford to go otherwise then of course you don't expect have them pay for the room expenses. I wouldn't invite anyone expecting them to pay anything.

However if you are taking friends or family members who are insistent that they pay for their part of the room then I don't see anything wrong with them paying some of the room expense. Some people are just uncomfortable allowing others to pay for the room that they are staying in. If they WANT to pay something towards the room then whatever the going rate is for renting points should be a fair rate to pay.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter