• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Click Here

Checking ID for alcoholic beverages?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only time I get carded is here and there during the F&W festival, and at the pool bars. I'm in my mid thirties, but I look younger...so I am told. (Thank you Peter Thomas Roth and my many other potions!)

Oh, picture of passport, good idea!
Yes, I'd definitely rather go without wine than risk losing passports carrying them around the parks. I honestly don't expect to get ID'd, but just in case? There's no way I could pass for 30, nevermind 20 lol.
I only have experience in one drinking establishment on this subject. However, the server asked for an ID from a couple and their obviously age-appropriate mother. They tried to show a picture of their passport and she would not accept that. They tried to show some kind of card ID and she would not accept that either. It had to be the passport. Now, that being said....I don't know how common this is, but wanted you to know at least what I have seen happen.

It's Florida state law to require a photo ID (and that only a passport is valid for foreigners) regardless of how old they look, however, it's generally not done if you look over 30. BUT, they can ask. I have, however, heard bartenders tell people that a passport photo on your phone is acceptable. So I do keep one on my phone but I haven't been asked for photo ID at Disney since 1991 and that was only at Pleasure Island.
Is it- can you point me to the statute, as I cannot find that anywhere. I can only find statute that says its a criminal offence to sell to under 21 but they are absolved of liability if they have checked ID. That same statute sets out what is and what is not adequate ID, but it does not say ID has to be checked before a sale.
If there is no mandatory checking of ID in the law, then I come back to my original point- it is ridiculous to check the ID of people in their 40's.

We are not going to discuss that video. It is not Disney related nor restaurant related

pit and all references have been removed. Thank you!

Last edited:
Here is the official Disney language
dont like it? Bring it up to Disney.
also, don’t joke about it. If you jokingly say aren’t you going to card me? They then will. And no ID, no drink

Any Guest who wishes to purchase an alcoholic beverage at Walt Disney World Resort must present one of the following valid forms of identification:

• U.S. state driver’s license (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. state ID (includes U.S. territories*)
  • U.S. military ID
  • Original passport
  • Copy of passport (either on paper or captured on a mobile device), along with a government-issued photo ID** that can verify the person and birth date shown on the copy
  • NEXUS card issued by U.S. Customs and Border Patrol (Canadian Guests only)
All Guests visiting from outside of the United States are required to present both a valid passport as well as another form of government-issued photo ID from their country of origin.

For all questions concerning our identification requirements, please call (407) 939-6244. Guests under 18 years of age must have parent or guardian permission to call.

Walt Disney World Resort reserves the right to refuse sale and/or service of alcoholic beverages to anyone.

The Walt Disney World Resort alcohol policy is subject to change without notice.

*U.S. territories include Puerto Rico, Guam, Northern Mariana Islands, U.S. Virgin Islands and American Samoa.

**Foreign driver’s licenses or ID cards are not acceptable by themselves.

Is it- can you point me to the statute, as I cannot find that anywhere. I can only find statute that says its a criminal offence to sell to under 21 but they are absolved of liability if they have checked ID. That same statute sets out what is and what is not adequate ID, but it does not say ID has to be checked before a sale.
If there is no mandatory checking of ID in the law, then I come back to my original point- it is ridiculous to check the ID of people in their 40's.
Here is the appropriate part of the statue. It is basically a get of jail free card for the bartender/bar if they checked appropriate forms of I.D. and something happens. Some businesses tend to be conservative in how they apply the ID checks. Others are more liberal.

If someone purchases alcohol that is underage, the actual clerk and establishment is liable to fines and/or criminal charges.

So it is up to the establishment to determine there threshold of risk and how they want to establish how/when ID checks are required.

Part of the applicable statue
(c) A licensee who violates paragraph (a) shall have a complete defense to any civil action therefor, except for any administrative action by the division under the Beverage Law, if, at the time the alcoholic beverage was sold, given, served, or permitted to be served, the person falsely evidenced that he or she was of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage and the appearance of the person was such that an ordinarily prudent person would believe him or her to be of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage and if the licensee carefully checked one of the following forms of identification with respect to the person: a driver license, an identification card issued under the provisions of s. 322.051 or, if the person is physically handicapped as defined in 2s. 553.45(1), a comparable identification card issued by another state which indicates the person’s age, a passport, or a United States Uniformed Services identification card, and acted in good faith and in reliance upon the representation and appearance of the person in the belief that he or she was of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage. Nothing herein shall negate any cause of action which arose prior to June 2, 1978.

Funny story: We were staying at the Poly a few years ago. My adult DD (age 25) and I went to the gift shop to grab a bottle of wine. I was ready to check out and the ladies at the counter carded my DD. And as every mid-20 person she had her id on her. Then the ladies looked at me and asked for my id as well. Of course I didn't have it! (gee let's do the math here: kid is 25 so therefore....) I asked my DD to buy it since she was "of age"!

I started taking regular trips to Disney when I was 30, am mid-40s now, have never once been carded, nor has my husband (same age). I would bet the chances of you being asked for your ID are almost zero.

Here is the appropriate part of the statue. It is basically a get of jail free card for the bartender/bar if they checked appropriate forms of I.D. and something happens. Some businesses tend to be conservative in how they apply the ID checks. Others are more liberal.

If someone purchases alcohol that is underage, the actual clerk and establishment is liable to fines and/or criminal charges.

So it is up to the establishment to determine there threshold of risk and how they want to establish how/when ID checks are required.

Part of the applicable statue
(c) A licensee who violates paragraph (a) shall have a complete defense to any civil action therefor, except for any administrative action by the division under the Beverage Law, if, at the time the alcoholic beverage was sold, given, served, or permitted to be served, the person falsely evidenced that he or she was of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage and the appearance of the person was such that an ordinarily prudent person would believe him or her to be of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage and if the licensee carefully checked one of the following forms of identification with respect to the person: a driver license, an identification card issued under the provisions of s. 322.051 or, if the person is physically handicapped as defined in 2s. 553.45(1), a comparable identification card issued by another state which indicates the person’s age, a passport, or a United States Uniformed Services identification card, and acted in good faith and in reliance upon the representation and appearance of the person in the belief that he or she was of legal age to purchase or consume the alcoholic beverage. Nothing herein shall negate any cause of action which arose prior to June 2, 1978.

Yes, exactly, there is no Florida statute that says you have to ID anyone, and no need whatsoever to be IDing anyone who is absolutely obviously over 21, as in someone in their 40s. These stories of IDing elderly folks etc are idiotic policies.
In virtually every developed country in the world it is illegal to sell alcohol to minors, and in virtually every developed legal system there would be a defence to say proper ID was produced and thus the seller was tricked into selling the alcohol. This just codifies what is proper ID to ensure someone is not basically turning a blind eye with fake ID. This doesn’t mean, by any stretch of the imagination that it’s sensible or a legal requirement to request ID from people in their 40s.
Disney does not routinely ID people in their 40s. I buy lots of drinks when there, for example at Xmas and last summer, and every year before that, and was never ID’d. I’ve been sat at bars and never seen anyone near me ID’d. My family have never been ID’d. If we were in our 20’s though that may be different. But OP is 40. The website says what it does so they can if they want. So you ‘may’ be but very unlikely. If you look young you could be.
Now I’ve been to areas in the US where they do ID everyone.
I was even in Hershey at a supermarket and I had to buy he beer from a ‘restaurant’ (tiny bar with a bar stool at the end of the isle). I was asked by the 21 year old serving if I was 21 and for my ID, we both started laughing- the whole process was comical.

Last edited:
I started taking regular trips to Disney when I was 30, am mid-40s now, have never once been carded, nor has my husband (same age). I would bet the chances of you being asked for your ID are almost zero.

yeah don’t take that bet

i see the most reports of ID checking at Epcot and especially during the festivals

but it can and does happen elsewhere as evidenced by the posts.

ive been asked for ID and I kissed my 20s goodbye decades ago 😂😂😂😂

Doesn't bother me getting asked for ID, they are only doing there job

I'm 36 and majority of people still are shocked I'm passed 18... I've not aged much at all apart from a couple grey hairs coming through 😂

In 2017 I didn't get ID'd much in WDW as I had my then 9, 7 and 5 year old boys with me

Doesn't bother me getting asked for ID, they are only doing there job

I'm 36 and majority of people still are shocked I'm passed 18... I've not aged much at all apart from a couple grey hairs coming through 😂
Lucky. I work with a guy who looks really young and up until he was early 30s he was asked if he was 18 by bouncers on the clubs around town. We all burst out laughing.

Lucky. I work with a guy who looks really young and up until he was early 30s he was asked if he was 18 by bouncers on the clubs around town. We all burst out laughing.

Its always a laughing point between the person asking and myself! If the server is my age or older they usually laugh and say something down the lines damn wish I aged like you.... Or what you using...

Younger servers get embarrassed for no reason and gingerly hand my ID back

I am in my late 40s and have NEVER been asked for ID for alcohol at WDW. Asking people who are obviously in their 40's for ID is a ridiculous and unnecessary policy. In the UK the stricter establishments tend to ask anyone who looks under 25, but the drinking age is 18 (unless having a meal, then you can order cider or beer with a meal at 16).

Worked my way through school in a restaurant, and our manager had a policy to help protect his waitstaff and bartenders. We carded everyone. That way his, admittedly, very young team was not put in a place where they had to make judgment calls about who to serve. Some people look much younger than they actually are, some people look older. So, yes, I carded people who I knew absolutely were of age. Was there occasionally a person who did not get served because of not having an ID? Yes. But I didn’t have an issue with that.

Ridiculous that a driver's licence isn't enough since all states are required to accept Canadian driver's licences for driving based on treaty agreements but on the other hand having a photo of your passport is pretty easy. My wife was carded at a conference in the U.S. and she was 62 at the time. :(

Depends on the circumstance. I'm 70, a US citizen, but wasn't allowed into the FW 2019 New Years party with the alcohol wristband because I'd left my ID at the site. Had to go back (on the bus no less) in order to get champagne. I questioned why, as I'm obviously of age, and was told it was Florida's laws. Didn't totally buy that but no sense in arguing.

Depends on the circumstance. I'm 70, a US citizen, but wasn't allowed into the FW 2019 New Years party with the alcohol wristband because I'd left my ID at the site. Had to go back (on the bus no less) in order to get champagne. I questioned why, as I'm obviously of age, and was told it was Florida's laws. Didn't totally buy that but no sense in arguing.
They lied.

I am in my late 40s and have NEVER been asked for ID for alcohol at WDW. Asking people who are obviously in their 40's for ID is a ridiculous and unnecessary policy. In the UK the stricter establishments tend to ask anyone who looks under 25, but the drinking age is 18 (unless having a meal, then you can order cider or beer with a meal at 16).
Many servers and employees working stands are college aged CMs who are not trained bartenders or bouncers. They should be erring on the side of caution by requesting ID if they can't discern someone's age. Where I live in NY, all grocery stores require ID from everyone when buying alcohol - whether you are 21 or 85. They actually take your ID and type your birthdate into the register in order to proceed with the transaction. Drinking age here is also age 21. The age limitations and handling of alcohol are definitely more strict in the U.S. than they are in Europe or even Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter