Cheer/Dance Season Looking Like A Go

My daughter competes in dance and they are wearing masks to dance. So far it hasn't been a problem. Their competitions are a go. One studio competes all their numbers at a time then leaves and the next studio comes in. Supposedly we will be watching the other studios on a live feed. So it is doable at disney. They've got the room at wwos if they limit spectators.
Eta: she doesn't compete at disney, but competitions in my state are running and cheer is also practicing tumbles and throws.

Agreed. My girls do All Star Cheer and they are currently not even allowed to stunt in practice or to work on new tumbling skills. Our state has a no contact policy so all of our All Star Cheer competitions are currently on hold, even choreography weekend was cancelled. It’s not looking good for my kids because the gym opted to skip the uniform and big, blingy bow they use at competition; instead, we’ve purchased new practice wear from Rebel in case competitions resume.
I'm sorry. My daughter opted out of All Star this year after 7 years. :( The gym she left has its first comp next week I believe. They have been stunting and doing full practices for months.

Last edited:
The only sports currently allowed (since this past Saturday) are high school athletics, and it's only non-contact conditioning or individual skills; youth and adult sports of any type are still paused. I believe high school cheer and dance teams are expecting to record their competition routines and submit electronically rather than in-person competitions. I'm not sure if the youth programs will get restarted this winter.

Think it depends on the area the comp is in.
Just got word that NCA.. huge allstar cheer event in Dallas (February) is still a go. But they are limiting audiences to parents only. After the team is done.. you must clear the building.
My kids are scheduled for DC , battle of capitol. Rooms are booked. No word on how that’s gonna go down
It's DC so will probably get cancelled. The Mayor locksdown everything in DC whereas places like Florida and Texas things are open.

I'm sorry. My daughter opted out if All Star this year after 7 years. :( The gym she left has its first comp next week I believe. They have been stunting and doing full practices for months.
CT has been hardline on things since cases started climbing above 2%. My girls are on the mini team so it’s only the second year for my second grader and the first year for my kindergartner. We were stunting at practices until November and then they said no contact at all so the gym is just waiting. They can’t even have the whole team practicing together since November; it’s sad.

We have a trip planned March 27th... so what this post is saying is that the cheer groups will be there?

I'm not sure if the youth programs will get restarted this winter.
No idea re dance/cheer but USA sanctioned gymnastics qualifying competitions are ongoing. Did do one at ESPN facility in the past. honestly, prefer the ones offsite...less hassle & still able to visit WDW etc on your own.

In PA gym mask protocols are in effect. Competitive cheer is ongoing. Tournies are set up differently for gymnastics, only one family member permitted to view. Smaller groups of 30 or so at a time only with stated safety protocols that are issued by both state & USA gymnastics being strictly adhered

Know there are multiple gymnastics competitions in Florida still scheduled. One February at Gaylord Palms. Tampa facility cancelled large one the end of February that is now at Daytona convention center.

My daughter competes in dance and they are wearing masks to dance. So far it hasn't been a problem. Their competitions are a go. One studio competes all their numbers at a time then leaves and the next studio comes in. Supposedly we will be watching the other studios on a live feed. So it is doable at disney. They've got the room at wwos if they limit spectators.
Eta: she doesn't compete at disney, but competitions in my state are running and cheer is also practicing tumbles and throws.
My DD dances and did 7 years of competitive cheer. They are currently dancing in masks too, and cannot do any lifts or other contact work. Cheer is a totally different thing. You cannot do it without close, extended contact between the kids. it just isnt safe and most places aren’t allowing it.

My freshman daughter has not been on campus yet. The girls were meeting on an informal basis to keep their skills but have not had a formal practice, no less learned any choreography. Even if the comps are going to be held I don't see how my daughters team could get up to speed in time. Just as well,the whole thing would have me freaking out

My DD dances and did 7 years of competitive cheer. They are currently dancing in masks too, and cannot do any lifts or other contact work. Cheer is a totally different thing. You cannot do it without close, extended contact between the kids. it just isnt safe and most places aren’t allowing it.
It really varies by state. My town has cheer going full force. There's a few competitive cheer gyms here and it's business as usual. Parents had to sign waivers. But they are full force, tumbling, lifts, etc. Sports here are full go. Even in schools.

It really varies by state. My town has cheer going full force. There's a few competitive cheer gyms here and it's business as usual. Parents had to sign waivers. But they are full force, tumbling, lifts, etc. Sports here are full go. Even in schools.
That’s just sad. People are going to die as a result. Maybe not the kids, but the parents and grandparents they carry it to. Our sports are all no contact, and We have lost 2 parents just among the cheerleaders at the school I teach at to COVID. Many more parents and grandparents in the school at large. We have had at least 35% of the staff sickened, including me.

That’s just sad. People are going to die as a result. Maybe not the kids, but the parents and grandparents they carry it to. Our sports are all no contact, and We have lost 2 parents just among the cheerleaders at the school I teach at to COVID. Many more parents and grandparents in the school at large. We have had at least 35% of the staff sickened, including me.
I'm not going to argue or get into a contest of sorts about this. I'm very pleased that sports here are full go. It's healthy, it's good for the kids, and spread here is almost 0 among schools and extracurricular sports. Simple modifications in cleaning and costumes and we're back in business without issues. So please. Don't be sad for us.

I'm not going to argue or get into a contest of sorts about this. I'm very pleased that sports here are full go. It's healthy, it's good for the kids, and spread here is almost 0 among schools and extracurricular sports. Simple modifications in cleaning and costumes and we're back in business without issues. So please. Don't be sad for us.
No issues YET. You have been lucky thus far, but how long will your luck hold? We did everything exactly as recommended and didn’t have issues either, until we did. Then it was too late. It’s not healthy for kids when you have to explain to second graders that their teacher is dead, and they know it’s because she caught Covid at school. From one of them who brought it from home. 25 parents had to do that this year. It’s not healthy for the kid that now knows they brought Covid home from practice and their parent is dead as a result. We have had that situation too. No sport is worth what that child is dealing with now.

I also have to wonder have many cases can be traced to sports that you don’t know about, because contact tracing wasn’t done properly. Many districts are doing their best to minimize the positives they have to record and not throughly contact tracing because parents want kids in school and sports to keep playing.

Last edited:
No issues YET. You have been lucky thus far, but how long will your luck hold? We did everything exactly as recommended and didn’t have issues either, until we did. Then it was too late. It’s not healthy for kids when you have to explain to second graders that their teacher is dead, and they know it’s because she caught Covid at school. From one of them who brought it from home. 25 parents had to do that this year. It’s not healthy for the kid that now knows they brought Covid home from practice and their parent is dead as a result. We have had that situation too. No sport is worth what that child is dealing with now.

I also have to wonder have many cases can be traced to sports that you don’t know about, because contact tracing wasn’t done properly. Many districts are doing their best to minimize the positives they have to record and not throughly contact tracing because parents want kids in school and sports to keep playing.
My kid had covid. She got it from her dad. Not school, not sports. She was fine. No one else in my home had it. You're not going to change my mind on this. Contact tracing in my state is down correctly and thoroughly. I know, I sat on the phone wofh a contact tracer for over an hour, had daily check ins with the local hospital, and several follow-ups from the health dept. Best of luck to you. We choose to take precautions and continue to live our lives. It works for us, and we haven't infected anyone. Peace.

Eta: besides, most kids sports require frequent testing. Testing here is easy to get and free. No symptoms needed. We take precautions, test when needed. Not a big deal. I will not let my family's mental health suffer because we live in fear and don't leave the house. Thats ridiculous.

same here. Cheer and dance in our state are in full force - rec, comp, and school teams, like nothing in the world has changed except they have to wear masks.

ETA which was the whole point of my response: Our July dance nationals are definitely still on, but I've hard a lot of schools are opting out of high school nationals (for both dance and cheer) because they're in Feb/March and it's too soon. So we'll see what happens...

My kid had covid. She got it from her dad. Not school, not sports. She was fine. No one else in my home had it. You're not going to change my mind on this. Contact tracing in my state is down correctly and thoroughly. I know, I sat on the phone wofh a contact tracer for over an hour, had daily check ins with the local hospital, and several follow-ups from the health dept. Best of luck to you. We choose to take precautions and continue to live our lives. It works for us, and we haven't infected anyone. Peace.

Eta: besides, most kids sports require frequent testing. Testing here is easy to get and free. No symptoms needed. We take precautions, test when needed. Not a big deal. I will not let my family's mental health suffer because we live in fear and don't leave the house. Thats ridiculous.
Not sure where your from, but sports where I'm from does nothing nor requires it. I've been to sporting events with kids from multiple states and nothing was required. Its not more than theater to make that warm and fuzzy feeling for people that need it.

Not sure where your from, but sports where I'm from does nothing nor requires it. I've been to sporting events with kids from multiple states and nothing was required. Its not more than theater to make that warm and fuzzy feeling for people that need it.
You are correct. We have seen the suspension of many sports since I was here last due to spread.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter