• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Chef Mickeys or Whispering Canyon?

IBLarsen

DIS Veteran
Trying to work on plans now for our March trip. For our first MK day, I was thinking of taking the monorail over to have dinner at Chef Mickeys. We've never been (myself, dh, DS11, DD9). A couple years ago we did have dinner at Whispering Canyon and thought it was fun! We are staying at POR this time, so trying to limit these two restaurants to a MK day for convenience. This will be our first day in the parks, so not planning on taking an afternoon break, but will leave for one of these two sit down dinners before heading back to MK to finish off the day.
So if you had to choose one or the other which would it be?

My kids preferred CM - mostly because they could also watch the monorail go through the Contemp.

*I* would choose Whispering Canyon. I have a feeling you'll be inundated with Chef Mickey's votes though. :scratchin I'm not a fan of CM. Too rushed, too crowded. Whispering Canyon also fills up, but you're not waiting on characters or pictures. We really like the food at WCC.

Whispering Canyons is my vote! Food, atmosphere, service; In my opinion wins hands down! Just my $0.02.
:cool1:

*I* would choose Whispering Canyon. I have a feeling you'll be inundated with Chef Mickey's votes though. :scratchin I'm not a fan of CM. Too rushed, too crowded. Whispering Canyon also fills up, but you're not waiting on characters or pictures. We really like the food at WCC.
Agreed. I haven't been to CM in ages, but that's because I tried it and really didn't like it (rushed, loud, kind of dirty, substandard food....), then I tried it again because so many people like it ... Same result. So, just not paying those prices again for a meal I don't enjoy.
WL is beautiful and Whispering Canyons is good food and good fun.

I think it depends on the atmosphere you like. My family is sort of "rural" and "woodsy" so Whispering Canyon would be our choice. For us, Chef Mickey's is too loud, to crazy, too :jumping1:

If you've never done Chef Mickey's and you think you might like it... go for it. :thumbsup2

In my opinion, the ONLY reason to set foot in Chef Mickey is if your kids absolutely have to see the Fab Five. The food is mediocre on a good day. It's very loud, very chaotic. And I've always found it very dirty, too. Food thrown everywhere, the buffet not maintained well. We went on our first couple trips because we felt we "had" to. But happy to say it's now off the list!

Whispering Canyon would definitely get my vote out of those two.

But have you looked at/considered 1900 Park Fare? It's also a quick monorail ride away from MK and the buffet there is really good. If you go for dinner, it's Cinderella and the Prince, as well as the stepsisters and stepmother. It was absolutely hysterical!!!! The character interaction is really some of the best around. You get to take a stroll around the Grand Floridian too. We just found this to be an all-around great experience on one of our MK days.

We love Whispering Canyon and normally stay at the Wilderness Lodge but I book Chef Mickey's or the Crystal Palace for our first MK visit. I love the Crystal Palace before park opening but Chef Mickey's definitely gets you in the Mickey mood. :thumbsup2

Martin

These are actually the 2 restaurants that are on our do every trip list. We do CM for the characters and the kids like it. But we all love WC, we like the food and bottomless milkshakes win the kids over.

If I had to pick one, I'd go WC. Plus as a bonus, it's less expensive.

WC. CM is loud and hurried. The characters barely interact with you and the food is just horrible. See the Fab 5 at other places but don't waste a meal on them at CM.

I don't getthe ChefMickey criticisms! I made the ADR knowing its a hard to get one and that we'd meet the fab 5, but later saw SOOO many of these comments I was afraid it would stink. We just ate there tonight with a party of 12 and thought it was exactly as it should be! I specifically looked for dirtiness, Unreplenished food, volume, etc and saw nothing to complain about at all. Noisiness is relative - all value hotel food courts are louder than Chef Mickey in my experience. All our food was hot, the soup was tasty, cold salads fresh and fine, niece complained that the chicken nuggets were "too crunchy" because they're different from McDonalds, carving station was good, dessert area clean and everything tasty.

Character interaction is faster than I remember other character meals, but they stopped, did autographs, posed for pictures, just didn't get into long conversations.

I do like whispering canyon as well. Good food, fun atmosphere, and I like that it is served family style vs buffet.

I find it takes slightly longer to take the boat to and from whispering canyon and the meal service is slower.

Just my opinion, I love both and would probably vote that you simply pick the one you haven't tried.

I would skip both and go to MK early and go the the Plaza, or hit 1900 Park Fare or Ohana on the monorail. Go to CM for the characters, not the food.

Chef Mickey's for sure. We were so disappointed in WCC. The hotel is beautiful but the food and service were only meh.

I agree with most of the previous posts. WC is much better food and atmosphere. If your kids just love the characters then Chef Mickey's is ok but just for that reason.

Really not a fan of either... WCC is loud and noisy and can be a bit obnoxious ....to stay in the general area and have a decent meal...we like the buffet at Trails End in Fort Wilderness... easy to get to, one boat stop past WL..... American cuisine ....cheapest buffet on property and it quite quiet there, no rushing , playground....worth a visit..!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter