child doesn't like a lot of the child CS menus!!

Kayleebug

Always planning my next trip for some more magic!
We are going to Disney in May and have purchased the DDP for all of us (2 adults, 1 child). I was looking at the counter service menus in the parks, and I noticed that many of the children's menus are VERY limited. :sad2: My DD won't eat a peanut butter & jelly sandwich or a hot dog. :confused3 Do you know of counter service restaurants that serve children's hamburgers? Chicken nuggets would be good, too!! We will be ok at POR foodcourt, but I'm concerned about dining in the parks.

THANKS!!

We found the best kids meals in Epcot at the counter-service restuarant in the land, they offered asian sweet & sour chicken and rice w/ broccoli.

Other good meals included the pizza place in AK, which had pizza for the kids. We also had a good kids at 50's primetime cafe in MGM (mashed potatoes and chicken). The ABC cafe in MGM also had nuggets & fries. Whispering Canyon in Wilderness Lodge has a great kids BBQ plate as well.

Unfortunately far too many places had P&J, Mac and Cheese, and chicken legs, which our kids wouldn't eat. I didn't see any places with burgers other than the place on Main Street USA in Magic Kingdom.

If you go over to allearsnet.com, they have menus online that list the kids meals. Unfortunately, you may have to go through all of them to find meals that you'd be interested in.

Im with you on the not-so-great food selections at WDW...my son will eat burgers and not much else. You can find tons on the adult menus, but not so many on the kid's. I've been trying to make careful choices of where we eat (we're doing the DDP as well) so my son will be happy...it hasn't been easy!

I found this to be a problem also--We are doing the my way with dining so I went thru the menus to figure out where to eat-I found it unbelievable that pretty much all there was was mac&cheese,pb&j ckn legs and some chicken wrap thing that didn't even sound good to me--Variety is a good thing! I know after a week of having to eat the same things over and over my kids are gonna be sick of it.

Son loves burgers??? You could eat one too??? Try this:

Buy a double cheeseburger (dbl bacon cheeseburger) w/ fries, get the drink and dessert. ASK FOR JUST A BUN- NOTHING ON IT, on the side. Pay with DP for the meal, pay under $1 for the bun. Split 2 meat patties into 2 burgers and VOILA- HB meal for 2. With drink, fries, dessert and 2 burgers I could feed myself and one of my boys, then use the spare credit for breakfast one day.

We just planned a lot of the Buffet meals, it didnt matter what dd ate, she made her choices and enjoyed the meals!!

For CS meals I'd park her at a table and then ask what she wanted, so then I'd go around getting the food we wanted!! Often we would share CS meal for lunch and breakfast, which we got the most for our money that way!! (just ask for a soda without ice - then you have more volume of soda!!)

When we went last year DD was going through a chicken nugget phase. We were able to get chicken strips at every CS and TS we went to. I noticed you could get a burger at any of the places as well. If your kid will eat a burger or chicken strips I don't think you'll have a problem at all.

FYI for CS we at the following:
Magic Kingdon:Columbia Harbor House (they served grapes with the chicken which was a bonus) and Pecos Bill
Epcot: Electric Umbrella
AK: Tusker House
MGM:ABC Commissary

With our DD we ordered off the adult menu for her, she didn't like the kid fare offered and is also a burger fiend. At Garden Grill we bought the Candlelight package and she was given a kid meal of Mac & Cheese that she didn't touch, she ate the same things that were offered to us on the adult meal, fortunately it was all you care to eat so they kept us loaded up.

We did not participate in the Dining Plan, but if we had of I would have requested hers to be upgraded to an adult plan and not the kid plan.

For a place that has so many kid visitors I was really surprised at the limited offerings. I can see it for a day, but so many of WDW visitors are there for a week or so, why do they think kids will eat mac & cheese & chicken strips for a week solid, I didn't get it.

MamaCatNV

mamacatnv said:
For a place that has so many kid visitors I was really surprised at the limited offerings. I can see it for a day, but so many of WDW visitors are there for a week or so, why do they think kids will eat mac & cheese & chicken strips for a week solid, I didn't get it.

Most of our TS meals on the plan were buffets, and the ones that weren't I had to choose very carefully to make sure they offered DD what she calls "real food" - to her mac & cheese is a side, not an entree. CR offered fish, CSH offered steak. There were a few others that we didn't try, but you're right - kid selection is very poor, but many kids eat that way all the time.

Flame suit going on :furious: :firefight , but at the CS restaurants no one asks if it is for a kid or an adult. My husband usually gets all our food while we sit at a table. He could order all adult meals if he wanted to, sooooo, you could order off the adult menu for your child at the CS. Some people feel this is dishonest, evaluate it yourself and decide. Most of time my CS meal was too much and I just shared it with my son. At a TS if your child is ordering food and using the DP they must order off the children's menu. Buffets, as suggested by others, work well for this situation. We have also done the double burger thing--works great, we have even done it as two adults.

Children are required to order off the children's menu. The plan is priced based on that assumption. Your resort card will say something like 2A1C and some CM will properly only let you order 2 adult meals.

It is dishonest, but some people may think it's only a white lie.

PoohHappens said:
Flame suit going on :furious: :firefight , but at the CS restaurants no one asks if it is for a kid or an adult. My husband usually gets all our food while we sit at a table. He could order all adult meals if he wanted to, sooooo, you could order off the adult menu for your child at the CS. Some people feel this is dishonest, evaluate it yourself and decide. Most of time my CS meal was too much and I just shared it with my son. At a TS if your child is ordering food and using the DP they must order off the children's menu. Buffets, as suggested by others, work well for this situation. We have also done the double burger thing--works great, we have even done it as two adults.

Lewisc said:
Your resort card will say something like 2A1C and some CM will properly only let you order 2 adult meals.

If I've got 20 CS credits they can't stop me from ordering more than two adult meals. I can use all of my credits at one meal if I want to.

I am debating the dining plan myself and have looked at all the menu's. I don't remember seeing burgers for the kids at all. There are lots of chix nuggets though. These places have nuggets from what I remember:
AK- Restaurontosaurus (SP)
Epcot- Tang. cafe, Elect Umbr., Lib Inn
MGM-ABC Comm., Backlot, Rosies
Mk- Cos Rays
That's all I wrote down....Have fun and good eating!!!!

Thanks for all of the great suggestions. I really liked the double cheeseburger with the extra bun idea. That never occurred to me. My DH will think I'm certifiably nuts when I wip out another bun, but who cares??? :teeth:

I wish they offered half sizes of the adult entrees at CS restaurants for kids. That would be so much better.

When my wife and I lost weight in 2001-2, folks in our support group were puzzled why restaurants don't offer half-sized portions. I have a little experience in the industry so I asked them how they thought the general public would feel about purchasing a half-size of a $12 entree for $10. $2 is often about 50% of what the ingredients in a restaurant entree cost.

We can get half sized portions at most of the resturaunts we enjoy. Carrabba's comes to mind right away...and they even cut the meals cost entirely in half. We've never left hungry!

Both of my girls (9 and 15) are adventurous eaters. We do order a kids meal for the 9 year old, but then she can sample whatever she wants off of any of our appetizers or entree's. So this way she gets to eat a wide variety of foods and still have a safe kids choice as well.

At WDW, we plan to share two adult entrees/desserts with our girls for lunches and breakfasts. We are not big eaters for either of those meals and seeing the portion sizes here on DIS...it's easily enough food to share for us.

We just got back and my DS7 will only eat chicken nuggets or burgers for CS meals. We ate at Pecos Bill and he ordered a cheeseburger and ate the whole thing himself. He didn't eat the fries that came with it but my DH munched on a few of his fries. I know it is considered an adult meal but I would mention it to the CM that it is for a child and maybe they will not put as much fries to compensate.
For the record we were not on the dining plan but will be in Oct.

So does Pecos Bill offer Burgers on the childs menu or did you order it off the adult menu? I really did not see burgers listed on any CS menus for kids. My older son will not eat Mac n Cheese and he will only tolerate chicken nuggets and PB&J a couple times before he is totally complaining. That seems to be the general kids menu choices at CS restaurants in the parks. I think a few offered chicken leg which is a good alternative to nuggets but he will probably want a burger, sub, or something different on occasion. The only place that offered a little different variety from what I saw was at Sunshine seasons at Epcot. They had subs, sweet and sour chicken that was different from any other places at resorts. As for the TS meals the nicer restaurants seem to offer better child's menus like: Coral Reef and Le Cellier where they get some actual options like steak and fish instead of just chicken. They really need to work on the childs menu to incorporate maybe one or two things on the adult menu in a small portion for a variety! :cool1:

bicker said:
When my wife and I lost weight in 2001-2, folks in our support group were puzzled why restaurants don't offer half-sized portions. I have a little experience in the industry so I asked them how they thought the general public would feel about purchasing a half-size of a $12 entree for $10. $2 is often about 50% of what the ingredients in a restaurant entree cost.

The public prefers getting a double portion for $14. Some share, some take a "doggie bag" and other will just eat more than they should.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter