Child's Passport

LCoulter

Whoah Mouse
When does Disney Cruise Line need our passport information by?

DD10 had a child's passport that expired so we need to update it so I'm trying to decide when to do so. Our cruise is 1 1/2 years away so it's too early yet.

DD10 had a child's passport that expired so we need to update it so I'm trying to decide when to do so. Our cruise is 1 1/2 years away so it's too early yet.
If you are doing a closed loop cruise where birth certificates are allowed, you can update information up until 3 days before sailing.

If you are doing a cruise that requires a passport (i.e. Europe or Alaska,) then I would guess you would need the info by the time you check-in 120/90/75 days out.

FYI, child's passports cannot be "renewed." You will actually have to reapply for one, in person. However, you can use the expired passport instead of a birth certificate. With that being said, I would wait until about 6 months before your PIF date to apply.

They absolutely need the info before the online check-in system closes out three-days prior to sailing. However, it is best to have it for your online check-in with is 75-days prior to sail date (provided you have paid-in-full) for first-time DCL cruisers.

FYI, child's passports cannot be "renewed." You will actually have to reapply for one, in person. However, you can use the expired passport instead of a birth certificate. With that being said, I would wait until about 6 months before your PIF date to apply.

Just fair warning, based on my experience last year, you will still need to submit a certified copy of your child's birth certificate, even if the child has an expired passport. The (very unpleasant) employee at our local post office refused to accept my daughters' "renewal" applications last year without certified copies of their birth certificates. In fact, I had copies of their birth certificates with me but the agent would not accept them because they weren't "certified" copies. I had reviewed the State Department website in gathering the information for the application, and I didn't read it to require certified copies if you had a prior passport. I was so irate when the agent rejected our applications, that I even called the State Department about it to ask if the agent was correct. I talked to a (much nicer) woman who told me that my reading of the website made sense, but you do, in fact, have to submit certified birth certificates again even if the child already has a passport. (She said they needed to change the website language - I haven't checked to see if they ever did.)

My understanding is that when you submit a passport application for a child who has never had a passport, the certified birth certificate serves 2 purposes: proof of US citizenship and proof of parental relationship. In a passport "renewal," the old passport can be used to show US citizenship, so you no longer need the birth certificate for that. You do, however, still need the certified birth certificate (or an adoption or custody decree) to prove your parental relationship with the child.

Maybe other post office/passport agents would have accepted them without the certified birth certificates, but I would recommend you bring a certified copy to be safe.

Last edited:
In a passport "renewal," the old passport can be used to show US citizenship, so you no longer need the birth certificate for that.

For people under 16 it's not a "renewal". Not even if they've had a passport since they were 1 day old and you're on their 3rd kid-passport. (or 4th..since if you had one since you were tiny and your parents travel all the time, you would get a 4th at 15, yes?)

However, you can use the expired passport instead of a birth certificate.

That wasn't our experience. We still needed the BC.

Three days before you cruise although you can update it at the port if absolutely necessary. You can put existing or expired data in at any time and update it later when you want to do the check-in. You can even put in any alphanumeric nonsense. It does no validity checking.

Depending on where you live, it can be very difficult to get an appointment for a passport. Might want to check on how far out appointments are currently booking and plan accordingly.

And also, both parents need to be present at the appointment or form DS-3053, notarized, if only one parent will be present.

I wouldn't push it that close, remember that next year a lot of state drivers licenses will no longer work for flying, so there will be a flood of passport applications coming in. I would realistically say at least 8 months to a year before your PIF date so you have it by then.

remember that next year a lot of state drivers licenses will no longer work for flying,

I'm not saying that WON'T happen, just that it won't happen to many states. I know our state is already thinking about it. Complying is actually easy. Thing is, for various reasons, the states don't WANT to comply, so they drag their feet, but in the end, most will pass last minute legislation to comply. No one wants their state citizens to be unable to fly.

Sorry if this sounds like politics. I am really just discussing a cruise-related thing that I think will happen. No political judgement, one way or the other.

I'm not saying that WON'T happen, just that it won't happen to many states. I know our state is already thinking about it. Complying is actually easy. Thing is, for various reasons, the states don't WANT to comply, so they drag their feet, but in the end, most will pass last minute legislation to comply. No one wants their state citizens to be unable to fly.

Sorry if this sounds like politics. I am really just discussing a cruise-related thing that I think will happen. No political judgement, one way or the other.
Personally I hope you are right, BUT when it comes to a cruise like this, I would prefer to err on the side of caution personally and knowing that it is a possibility; however unlikely, I would plan accordingly and thought it prudent to mention this as it currently stands. Also, no political judgements here, just trying to help the OP have all the necessary information.

Politics? Yes. Accurate summary of what's happening in my state? Also yes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter