Cholesterol-reducing tips?

MazdaUK

<font color=green>Curse this time difference!<br><
I got a shock at my Well Woman check-up when the nurse said my cholesterol was high and I needed to book for a lab test:scared1: I'm not a generally high-risk group (non-smoker, no heart disease in family etc.) but I'd like to avoid going onto meds for it by improving diet (I think I know what did the damage - been a bit stressed and just back from a beer-heavy vacation with rather a lot of white bread/pasta and cheese:rolleyes1) Does anyone have any tips? I'd particularly like crockpot recipes which are low in sat fat and/or contain cholesterol-reducing stuff.:wizard:

TIA

I'm in your boat too! I'm 34, no history of familial heart issues, non-smoker, not overweight, who has had increasing cholesterol for years now. I don't eat poorly, so it must just be a lucky gene! :confused3 I added fish oil to my daily vitamins now (along with Niacin) since I don't eat fish.
I'd love some ideas too...I need my numbers back in normal range pronto!!

I'm a bit older than you (but not old enough to be your mum;) ) and it came as a shock to me, as I don't eat loads of processed foods or fatty meat, no burgers, no pork, rarely sausages (and then I grill them before adding to pasta or a casserole), plenty of fruit and veg and I walk regularly. OK, I'm a bit fond of the happy juice :blush:, and a bit overweight (but "cosy" rather than massive - a US 12-14) so right now I'm mainlining fiber and stuff ready dfor when I get referred for the clinical test, in the hope it will all have gone away:rolleyes1

But given DS's side of the family does have a history of heart problems I think its a good call to make a few adjustments.

Sorry, no answer for you on this, but I feel your pain. I'm really watching sodium content now, because I want to avoid some of my Mom's current health problems, when I'm her age. I'm 54 and I'm sure watching my cholesterol will be the next on my to-do list.

Try looking up cooking light or health.com, they do some wonderful recipe redesigns to lower the fat, sugar and sodium content in dishes. Also, try red wine instead of beer when you need a lil bit of happy juice. Good luck and I hope you can find some recipes that work for you. :goodvibes

Thanks! I can't drink red (and you REALLY don't want to know why;)) but I mostly drink white wine anyway. I'll check those links:thumbsup2

Try to increase your fiber intake. I eat 2 TBS of ground flax seed with my cereal every morning, fish oil capsules are good as well. Reduce, sugar,white starches. If you don't have food allergies you should add nuts to your diet, they are loaded with heart healthy fats, fiber, protein and minerals that are all good for you. They do contain fat, but it is heart healthy fat!

My DH found a cholerterol lowering food list for me when i was diagnosed.
Try Googling it, I know Advacado and black beans are on there.
I also upped my fiber and lowered fat intake, started taking Niacin and Fish oil like most others have posted. The one thing my cardiologist keep harping on is excercise ! I do take Lipitor and between that and a slight lifestyle change I've brought mine down 98 points. I did not give up beer and I drink GOOD beer but I did have to reduce my cheese intake considerably.

I've switched from Special K to oatibix bitesize (porridge if I'm at home and have time), I have brown bread anyway, salad, fruit etc every day. I need more munchy seeds and nuts - but can't add to many *** of weight. I hate avocado unfortunately. Trying to be a good girl ;)

This is going to sound revolutionary, but try adding some good fats and eggs to your diet. Olive oil, fatty fish, etc. Also, the spice Tumeric.

Read the first 3 chapters of "Living the low carb life" by Jonny Bowden.

"What a lot of people don't realized is that the vast majority of cholesterol is made in your body, by the liver. If you take in more from the diet, the liver makes less. If you take in less, the liver makes more." and "Lowering cholesterol is big business. In 2005 <the two top cholesterol-lowering statin drugs> did a combined business of more than 13 BILLION dollars."

Which leads right into my favorite addage - want to know WHY someone's telling you something - FOLLOW the MONEY.

The Mediterranean diet is one that is highly recommended (Fish, fruit, vegetables, whole grains, olivoil and nuts)

Here's a helping of science, although it may make your eyes glaze over,;)
http://www.ravnskov.nu/myth1.htm

Thnaks LInda, good tips! (though I can't eat turmeric - makes me ill. That, chilli, red wine....)

I've been using ground flax seed also you can replace the oil or eggs in some of the recipies with it. Has some good Omega's, fiber and protein so hopefully will keep you full longer. When making eggs I've been using 1 whole to one white for scrambled.

Denise in MI

Eggs are no longer reckoned to have an effect on your bad cholesterol. My fasting test came back round 5 so I'm just being generally good now rather than panicking;) Just shows how unpredictable the non-fasting test can be, so anyone who only had that its worth booking a fasting test. You might be really surprised!:thumbsup2

Eat Egg whites. Like you said Eggs no longer effect your cholesterol. Also eat more veggies and fruits. Get more fiber in your diet like legumes. You can also try to drink different types of milk. Like Almond, Soy or Rice milk. Or try Skim. I'd recommend the Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno. I use her book a lot to make sure I'm eating healthy.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter