Christmas 2022.

We're doing things differently this year, not necessarily budget related. We are seeing family over Thanksgiving, then spending 2 weeks over Christmas at the beach. My brother and his daughter may join us, but if they don't that's ok. I'm giving the kids money and everyone else door dash gift certificates. I cleaned my mother's house during a visit over the summer and found at least 10 years worth of Christmas presents stuffed in a closet unopened. From now on, she's getting restaurant and door dash gift cards. She likes to eat so I know she'll use those.

We will do stockings at the condo for the 4 of us. My kids are old enough now that they'll be perfectly happy with some $$ added to their banking accounts so they can spend Christmas day shopping online for whatever they want. My oldest just got a car so he'll get some gas gift cards and I may make his portion of January's payment for him. I was going to get him tickets to see a traveling production he's been wanting to see but the stinker went and got a job as backstage crew at the performing arts center where it will be showing so he'll be working.

I'm looking forward to it. We'll be just coming off my husband's company's busy season so the break will be welcome.

We're going to be at Disney World during Christmas week the first ever. We've gone during Christmas season but never during actual Christmas.

We rented a house (6 bedroom, 5 bath) on VRBO for $1,200, bought park tickets on Undercover and are splitting the house between 5 families. So it's fairly cheap. My wife and I will be there by ourselves between Dec. 17-21 then my family will join Dec. 22-28. We're going to the parks on the 23rd, 24th, 26th and 27th. Planning to spend Christmas Day at the house as a family and maybe go to Downtown Disney during the afternoon (assuming it's open on Christmas Day).

We're not doing presents. But the trip itself is our present for everybody else. We're going to hang out, play games, visit the parks, etc. My family (mom, dad, sister, BIL, nephews and nieces) are all driving down. Wife and I are flying and spending extra time in the parks by ourselves. So it will be a rather expensive Christmas for us. And we'll have to do Christmas with my in laws some other time during the season.

I realized last year that while it's fun and easy to pick up little things, no one really needs or wants them.
My husband and I never really exchange gifts, the extended family, the kids draw names, and the adults just pick up some stuff and we play games, which is super fun!
17 year old found some legos on clearance she wanted, so we picked them up. Still need to find something else.
middle child is 15, and I honestly have no clue what to get for her. A personalized guitar strap and a guitar pick punch, since she's always losing hers.
And the youngest found quite a few sets of Legos on clearance, and definitely wants a rock tumbler.. which was my husbands idea, so he's totally on board.

So there's really not much to buy, except for the kids, but we ARE cutting back, for sure!

We have never gone anywhere for Christmas . We are seriously considering it this year. Now I have spent many New Years traveling to bowl games with the Crimson Tide, and I am sure the OP can understand how that has gotten expensive for Alabama fans in the Saban era. Lol
Oh yes BamaBoy just a game in Tuscaloosa hurts the wallet! As I said earlier we’ve only traveled on Christmas once. We have enjoyed several trips between Christmas and New Years. Whatever you decide I’m sure you will enjoy. ROLL TIDE🐘🐘🐘🐘🐘

DD22 and her boyfriend moved half way cross country a month ago so they will be doing the travelling home to visit me and his parents. It gives me an excuse not to travel to see my siblings and nephews - I'm over that to be honest. Did it forever, but then took the last 2 years off due to the pandemic and kinda liked it...so I'm happy to not travel again. Christmas travel is just too crazy.

Gift-wise, I paid for DD/Boyfriend's cabin on a European cruise next May, with myself, my sister and her husband. So Christmas day is going to be stockings only. And lots of food. I splurge on Christmas foods and just plan to suck up the increase in prices this year. Most likely Christmas dinner will be Maine lobster tail. Christmas Eve I haven't figured out yet - maybe a nice prime rib. Christmas breakfast I like to have bagels shipped in from New York (you just can't get a good bagel anywhere else), but I wasn't really happy with them last year so not sure if I will do it again this year. But I'll find something that's relatively easy but elevated from the normal breakfast foods.

I already have token gifts for my nephews, which I send with the real gift of $$$. Just have to ship them off when the time comes.
Sounds like a wonderful visit and the meals sound Amazing!

I think our Christmas shopping will look about the same as years past. We don't exchange gifts with DH's family anymore, so I just have to get gifts for my family. I have my parents (Mom, Dad and Stepmom), 3 siblings and their spouses, twin toddler nieces and a 23 year old nephew to buy for. I already bought the twins a Cozy Coupe for their main gift and Nephew told me last week he just wants Best Buy gift cards for Christmas because there is a computer he wants to get, so that will be easy. I will get a little something for the secretaries at work. I have been trying to talk DH into not exchanging gifts the last few years because there is nothing either of us need, but he won't do it, so I will need to think of some things to get him.

Other than a couple batches of cookies, I don't have to buy any holiday food because we eat all our holiday meals at other peoples houses.
That’s nice to not have to worry about the meals. I usually have to do a good deal of cooking. And you can never ever go wrong with Cozy Coupes 😄

We're doing things differently this year, not necessarily budget related. We are seeing family over Thanksgiving, then spending 2 weeks over Christmas at the beach. My brother and his daughter may join us, but if they don't that's ok. I'm giving the kids money and everyone else door dash gift certificates. I cleaned my mother's house during a visit over the summer and found at least 10 years worth of Christmas presents stuffed in a closet unopened. From now on, she's getting restaurant and door dash gift cards. She likes to eat so I know she'll use those.

We will do stockings at the condo for the 4 of us. My kids are old enough now that they'll be perfectly happy with some $$ added to their banking accounts so they can spend Christmas day shopping online for whatever they want. My oldest just got a car so he'll get some gas gift cards and I may make his portion of January's payment for him. I was going to get him tickets to see a traveling production he's been wanting to see but the stinker went and got a job as backstage crew at the performing arts center where it will be showing so he'll be working.

I'm looking forward to it. We'll be just coming off my husband's company's busy season so the break will be welcome.
Two weeks at the beach would be Heavenly! Enjoy!

I realized last year that while it's fun and easy to pick up little things, no one really needs or wants them.
My husband and I never really exchange gifts, the extended family, the kids draw names, and the adults just pick up some stuff and we play games, which is super fun!
17 year old found some legos on clearance she wanted, so we picked them up. Still need to find something else.
middle child is 15, and I honestly have no clue what to get for her. A personalized guitar strap and a guitar pick punch, since she's always losing hers.
And the youngest found quite a few sets of Legos on clearance, and definitely wants a rock tumbler.. which was my husbands idea, so he's totally on board.

So there's really not much to buy, except for the kids, but we ARE cutting back, for sure!
I’ve discovered the same with the little things along the way as well. For stockings I try to get favorite or unusual snacks and items that can be used such as air fresheners, nail polish, lip balm etc…

Well not Disney this year. Did not pay for the more expensive pass to include the holidays. I will be in Williamsburg, VA. Very Christmasy, particularly if we get a little snow. Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens for things to do. Great places to eat and drink. A three hour drive from where I work in D.C. area. Staying in my Holiday Inn Club Vacations resort.

We are doing 5 days Universal, 5 days beach in the Tampa area. First time we've traveled for holidays. I made hotel only and Air BnB reservations a year ago, so pretty good prices, and flights /park tickets with points/miles. That's our primary gift ( kids are 13 and 15). we do Advent calendar that is mostly activities, like go out for fancy hot chocolate and go to the cat café. Our events while we are in Florida are things like Making Lego mini figures, Gideons, Olivanders, etc.

Those things all cost $, and the trip of course:-)

Oh yes BamaBoy just a game in Tuscaloosa hurts the wallet! As I said earlier we’ve only traveled on Christmas once. We have enjoyed several trips between Christmas and New Years. Whatever you decide I’m sure you will enjoy. ROLL TIDE🐘🐘🐘🐘🐘
The hassle in Tuscaloosa and the pricing is making me sit at home more and more! This from a guy who has been to 229 Alabama football games. But I won’t miss the Iron Bowl! What part of Alabama do you live? Roll Tide!

We keep two Capital One 360 Accounts that go toward Christmas shopping (one is a 52 week challenge and one is an account that has automatic $10 deposits every week) , and then my Ibotta and Fetch rewards gather throughout the year and I cash those in at Christmas. So budget wise we will start with the same amount as prior years. Also if I pick up things throughout the year I usually just pay for it and don't mess with our budgeted Christmas amounts.

A few changes to our Christmas list - my daughter is now in middle school so no teacher gifts and she currently only does rec league activities so no gifts required for those sort of things either. Though it's not a ton, that's a little recouped and less to buy.

My parents, Sister and Family, and my family are in the process of booking a cruise for next summer, so since my parents are hoarders who need absolutely nothing, their gifts are going to be things they can use on their cruise. Half the battle for me isn't necessarily the expense but the idea, especially when it comes to our (combined) five parent figures.

Anyway I have a rough idea of the $ we spend on each person on our list and when the money starts dwindling, I start dwindling on my shopping unless I can't keep it somewhat equal (especially for the kids in the family)

We travel 3 hours to my parents at some point around the holidays but typically just out fuel and maybe a dish or two to contribute to a meal, but it's not much. We stay at my parents house. I live four houses down from one set of inlaws and across town from the other.

The changing costs will not alter any of our holiday behaviors, I am already gathering special order items and lists. I even decided to do cards again even though I didn't for a few years because of just too much stress so either I'm getting used to it or it's less, either way there will be sparkly cards and I special ordered new address labels.

I do have reservations for WDW over the Christmas but haven't bought airfare yet. The reason I am hesitating with this trip is not financial but mostly because airlines seem to be in a state of expensive / unreliable flux and because people here talk SO MUCH about how busy WDW is on a regular day it makes me imagine the place will be just over-run with people, so thinking I might bump it out a few months. Sigh, I really want to go during Christmas but maybe this year is not the right year.

See, in our house, Santa ONLY fills stockings, so they normally have some good (but small) stuff in them. :P It's just the cheap toys and stuff that get me, clearance and Black Friday and whatnot.

just did 4 individual orders with target. they've got buy one get 50% off one select books and movies. my youngest is a major d&d junkie and those books are not cheap:crazy2: i compared the prices with amazon and elsewhere (if they go on a better sale before the holidays i can still return for a refund with target) but i stacked my offers so i put the most expensive books in one order, mid priced in another, lowest... and maximized the savings-spent about $115 but got 5 hardback d&d books and 1 blu ray set.

Our daughter is getting married this summer and our son started university in the fall. We’ve had some major vet bills and dental expenses that weren’t covered by insurance, and we had to buy a new car in the spring. I have a reduced work schedule for this year which means less income overall as well. Add in the skyrocketing costs and this will be a pretty scaled back holiday season.

To be honest I’m just grateful we can manage it all and that we wont need to take on a ton of debt. My kids are adults and totally fine with just a few presents. I imagine this year is very very hard for many families and we are lucky and I need to always remember that.

So many changes this year for us.
I retired at the end of July and I am so happy that almost all of my presents have already been bought through out the year.
I will still need to pick up a few things for their stockings.
After being on the receiving end of *scanned , scamed * gift cards last year we will NOT be buying them this year ,,cash is golden.
( Creative ways to give Money)
https://www.creatingreallyawesomefunthings.com/creative-ways-to-give-money/

https://www.thistinybluehouse.com/unique-christmas-money-gifts/
1665167975405.png

I am working on my Granddaughter's 12 Days before Christmas gift right now.
I am thinking mini Santa Sacks with Cash & a Holiday Sweet Treat. Or edited to add maybe 12 pairs of Christmas socks with cash .
It's her first year away at University.
1665167672700.png
Happy Holiday Shopping
Hugs Mel

Last edited:
Well not Disney this year. Did not pay for the more expensive pass to include the holidays. I will be in Williamsburg, VA. Very Christmasy, particularly if we get a little snow. Colonial Williamsburg and Busch Gardens for things to do. Great places to eat and drink. A three hour drive from where I work in D.C. area. Staying in my Holiday Inn Club Vacations resort.
Sounds like a great way to spend Christmas!

The hassle in Tuscaloosa and the pricing is making me sit at home more and more! This from a guy who has been to 229 Alabama football games. But I won’t miss the Iron Bowl! What part of Alabama do you live? Roll Tide!
Far north corner near the Tennessee line. Have a son that lives in Tuscaloosa and attends Bama and he said this is the worst year yet with the crowds, traffic and street closures for games.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter