Christmas at the Resorts

Jesusisalive

Jesusisalive
I am a new DVC Member. Which Home Away from Home resort would you recommend for a family with 3 children (11, 9, 6) to experience the best Christmas decor / warmth of the season?

First of all, welcome to the DIS Boards, and

WELCOME HOME! as a new DVC member! :banana:

All the DVC resorts will be decorated for the season, but I think you will find that most here will say that VWL, and the entire Wilderness Lodge property, are perfect with the evergreens, huge fireplace and great holiday decorations that go so well with the theming.

It's also a difficult place to book for the holiday season, since it's the smallest of the DVC resorts.

Welcome Home! I second VWL for the Christmas/December trip!

Bobbi :flower:

PS. I notice your name, and I imagine that going to the Candlelight Processional may be high on your list of things to do, and really, the BWV or the BC give easy access to Epcot. I hope you're not asking about this year, I think it will be hard to get anything in December at this time.

I love the WL/VWL at Christmas....oooh that tree......

but even more importantly I wanted to say, "Welcome home" and welcome to Intercot. :wave2:

Wherever you end up, you may want to consider visiting all the deluxe resorts just to see the decorations. I'm sure your kids will be amazed when you tell them the carousel at the Beach club is made of gingerbread. And the giant gingerbread house at the Grand Flo is a "not to be missed" item.

Welcome Home!

I think all of them would be wonderful at Christmas but I've only seen these three:

WL - feels like a snow covered hunting lodge
BW - old-fashioned blown glass ornaments, poinsettias
BC - gingerbread carousel, light and bright decorated trees

All different. All great. You can't go wrong.

Did you see the "Boardwalk" at the Boardwalk??
Dscf0906.jpg

Dscf0907.jpg

And here's one from the Poly
Dscf0873.jpg

I love the Boardwalk resorts (BWV or BCV). The poinsetta Christmas tree at the Village Green is beautiful. Walking around Boardwalk, seeing all the lamp poles wrapped in garland, listening to the Disney Christmas carols. And I think Epcot is the park with the most Christmassy events-the CP, Holiday Storytellers, tree lighting ceremony.

Hi,

Welcome home!!! I'd have to go with VWL for Xmas. They are all nice though. Have fun!

My first choice would be the Boardwalk Villas then VWL but I am holding judgement till I see SSR all dressed for the holidays.

Everything at WDW is extra-special for the holidays. While I agree the woodsy feel of VWL makes it feel like "up North", the BWV/BCV are also full of holiday cheer and are right smack in the middle of a lot of what WDW has to offer at night -- the Candlelight Processional, Osborne Lights (I'm blanking on the correct name -- hope that's at least close), etc. It's great to be able to walk home easily after the shows are over, especially if Orlando gets hit with a cold snap which can happen that time of year.

Your sig says "Christmas 2005 at OKW" -- There's nothing wrong with that either -- done it myself. Having that real "home" feel at Christmas is nice and you (and your neighbors) can decorate the balconies and make it extra-special.

Thanks. Yes we are booked at OKW for this Christmas, but wanting to plan for next year. Want to get a Grand Villa for 15+ family members but bet that will be tough next year. We have done Grand Floridian, MVMCP, Candlelight Processional, Osborne Lights, and Celebration with the falling snow and train ride has become a Christmas Tradition. Disney is second only to being at the actual manger scene at Christmas time. The Disney magic when mixed with celebrating the Savior's birthday has been incredible! It looks like we'll have to try WL and just visit the other resorts. Are they parking friendly-- driving up and looking around is OK??

Jesusisalive said:
Thanks. Yes we are booked at OKW for this Christmas, but wanting to plan for next year. Want to get a Grand Villa for 15+ family members but bet that will be tough next year. We have done Grand Floridian, MVMCP, Candlelight Processional, Osborne Lights, and Celebration with the falling snow and train ride has become a Christmas Tradition. Disney is second only to being at the actual manger scene at Christmas time. The Disney magic when mixed with celebrating the Savior's birthday has been incredible! It looks like we'll have to try WL and just visit the other resorts. Are they parking friendly-- driving up and looking around is OK??
You'll need more than a GV for 15! :earseek: We usually stay at OKW, and like the subtle south Florida decor, but we usually get to all the resorts at some time during the time we are there to visit the gingerbread houses and trees etc. My favorite is VWL decor too, but then I live in my own "wilderness lodge" so that is what really interests me.

Hi! Welcome to the dis and DVC!! We own points at BCV (have done Spring Break there) and also VWL (will be there this Christmas!) We have also stayed at OKW (very nice!) This trip the parks will be crowded, we are going 12/18 through 12/26, however, we are starting to homeschool so our future trips will be planned at less busy times! We have heard VWL is great at Christmas, but we really hope to visit most of the resorts during our trip as we want to see all the decorations. Also, we have family in the area and will spend Christmas day with them. We did visit in early December in 1999, and WDW at Christmas is absolutely magical! Are you planning an 06 trip??

I would suggest you book at your home resort to make sure you have a reservation somewhere although a GV may be hard to get off the waitlist (but you never know)!

Since the GV only sleeps 12, I think you'll need additional room, especially when you are talking more than 15 people.

Cyn

Jesusisalive said:
Thanks. Yes we are booked at OKW for this Christmas, but wanting to plan for next year. Want to get a Grand Villa for 15+ family members but bet that will be tough next year.
As others have said, the Grand Villas only sleep 12, so you'll need to book a couple of villas.

Only OKW, BWV and SSR have Grand Villas. So you are already restricted in your choices somewhat if that is part of your plans.

Good luck with your decision. :)

We are booked at OKW this Christmas. Our home resort is Saratoga so we'll probably shoot for the Grand Villa plus a studio at the 11-month window for next Christmas. Since we'll have 15-16 people we'll have to consider the trade-offs (and points!) of a Grand Villa vs. multiple studio's or 1/2 bedrooms. I would guess at 11-months it will still be tough to get a Grand Villa for Dec. 06

At the BWVs they had choirs singing holiday songs on the lawn and they brought Santa in the lobby to see the kids (the last time my girls will ever 'visit' with Santa was there--they are too old now, but we will always have the memory of the last Santa visit).

I am sure they are all great, and I agree with the advice to book your home resort to make sure you have a spot and then you can move your reservation at the 7 month window.

DJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter