• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Christmas in the magic

AGlossop

Earning My Ears
Just returned from 4 days in the magic. Arrived Christmas Eve, having driven from the UK (Kent) via Eurotunnel. Got to try out my new car on a long run, and use the satnav. An early start, but we were checked into Disneyland Hotel, and in the park by 10.

The weather was great. Dry and quite bright every day. No rain!

Started at Disney Studios, as we hadn't seen that before. Was impressed by the quality and freshness of the attractions, but disappointed with the size. They can hardly call it a 2-park resort, when it's 1/3 the size of the main park. But the rollercoaster is great. Stunt show was great. Cinemagic was great. Tram tour was good. Youngest son really enjoyed magic carpets. Same ride as Dumbo & rockets really, but works better. Had dinner at Cafe Mickey, which was very nice.

Christmas day was lovely. Did all the big rides in the main park, finished with Wild West Show, which even had Father Christmas visit (not sure if that's normal). The Indy ride broke down though, while we were about to get on.

Boxing day was busier, and colder. Managed to get tickets for Lion King (make sure you start queuing at about 10am). The Lion King show was well worth seeing. Followed by a trip on Pirates, and lunch at Blue Lagoon.

Having used fastpass before, and read the guidebook, I was surprised to find that you could get fastpass tickets at every ride. Instead of one ride at a time. We basically spent the whole trip with a fist full of fastpass tickets. In fact we didn't even get to use all 12 of the hotel fastpass tickets.

Yesterday (27th) was a blackout day, apparently, so I was expecting it to be very busy. It was, but not madness. Still got plenty of good rides early on. But later in the day the queues were terrible for some. We avoided the non-fastpass ones because of that. BTM fastpass machines broke down early on, which meant chaos. Luckily we'd got some for 11am, and then at 11 got some for 2pm. Then went back to Disney Studios at 4. Saw Cinemagic (great!), and then got 3 rides on rockin roller. And back to DL for a ride on SM before we returned home.

Simon's guidebook is well worth buying. I'm glad we did Blue Lagoon. And many other suggestions from it. Now planning our next trip, which hopefull won't be 4 years time.

My only slight regret is not booking at Castle Club (will do next time though)

------------------------

Jan 2001 - Sequoia Lodge
Xmas 2004 - Disneyland Hotel

I forgot to add. For those who think that Christmas should be spent with family. All my family is in Australia. So Christmas time is quite lonely, as of course our friends are visiting their families. So this year we made a last minute plan to go away for Christmas, and booked the holiday about 2 weeks before.

The kids loved it. My wife was happy not to be doing the ususal Christmas cooking. So that's 4 votes for doing it again. Maybe WDW next year. I wonder what that's like at Christmas time.

Sounds like you had a great time.Must admit I am tempted to get away next Christmas as I am fed up with cooking that huge meal and then not being in the mood to eat it! I don't know if DH could stand the crowds though.

I'm glad you had such a great time - must be a wonderful time to go! And to stay at the Disneyland Hotel - perfect!!!

Perhaps you should try WDW next year and then alternate between the two. But if you go to WDW you MUST stay onsite - I can rent you DVC points if you like and then you can have Christmas in a proper "home"!!:teeth:

Been waiting for my youngest to be a little older before doing WDW. But the time has come to plan a WDW trip. :)

Seems that 2 weeks isn't much more expensive than 1 week. So maybe a summer trip.

Animal Kingdom Lodge or Contemporary will probably be my hotel choice. Never thought about DVC. Will investigate. Thanks for the offer.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter