Cinco de Mayo Recipes

Thanks for posting these, I am going to try the avocado enchiladas tonight for dinner will let you know how they turn out.

The avocado enchiladas were YUMMY!!! I used flour tortillas instead and made in layers rather than roll them, also I didn't fry the torillas, I also made 1/2 the recipe since it makes so much. Will be making this one again. :thumbsup2

Not a MS, but a family favorite!

Layers, from bottom up in a glass loaf pan or an 8x8:

1 can refried beans with one packet taco seasoning mixed in
1 small container guacamole
1 small container sour cream
2 chopped tomatoes
2 small cans chopped green chiles (you can put in a layer of picante instead of the tomatoes and chiles)
1 bag shredded cheese (we like a jack cheese mix)
2 small cans sliced black olives

Serve with tortilla chips.

Also - we've made these into the plastic margarita glasses at the party store for special occasions. (We added a slice of lime on the rim for garnish - just like a margarita would have) More work, but a spectacular presentation!

BlackBean and Corn Salad

INGREDIENTS
1/3 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup olive oil
1 clove garlic, minced
1 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
2 avocados - peeled, pitted and diced
1 red bell pepper, chopped
2 tomatoes, chopped
6 green onions, thinly sliced
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
DIRECTIONS
Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.

Not sure that this is necessarily Mexican but it sure is YUMMY!! I served it at Cinco De Mayo last year and everyone loved it.
Katy

Tortillas

1/2 cup whole yellow cornmeal
1 1/2 cups boiling water
1 1/2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour or White Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup barley flour or oat flour
1/2 cup Hi-maize® Natural Fiber
2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten
2 tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
1/3 cup Baker's Special Dry Milk or nonfat dry milk
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1 1/2 teaspoons salsa seasoning, optional
1 1/2 teaspoons instant yeast

Place the cornmeal in a heatproof bowl or the bucket of a bread machine. Pour the boiling water over it, stirring well. Set aside for about 10 minutes to cool.

Mix in the remaining ingredients, then knead until the mixture becomes elastic. This may take awhile if you're kneading by hand, as the mixture starts out quite sticky. The dough should become elastic, but stay quite soft. Add more flour only if needed to make the dough come together into a ball that just holds its shape. Cover and allow the dough to rise for 1 to 2 hours, until it's puffy.

Divide the dough into 10 balls, then flatten each ball to a 3" disk, keeping covered to retain moistness. Let rest a few minutes while you preheat your tortilla maker or griddle. Roll disks into thin 6" to 7" circles.

Use a tortilla maker to cook tortillas according to the manufacturer's directions. Or dry-fry on a hot griddle until tortillas puff and dark spots appear on the underside, before turning to cook the other side.

Cool for several minutes on a rack, then stack breads to keep them pliable. Wrap well if not eating soon. Yield: 10 tortillas.

"Healthified" Mexican Pasta Skillet

Prep Time:30 min
Start to Finish:30 min
makes:6 servings (about 1 1/3 cups each)

1 lb extra-lean (at least 93%) ground beef OR ground turkey
1 jar (16 oz) organic mild salsa
1 cup organic tomato sauce (from 15-oz can)
1 1/2 cups water
2 cups uncooked regular or multigrain elbow macaroni
1 cup frozen corn
1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese (2 oz)

1. In 12-inch skillet, cook beef over medium-high heat 5 to 7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until thoroughly cooked; drain.
2. Stir in salsa, tomato sauce and water. Heat to boiling. Stir in macaroni and corn. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 12 to 15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until macaroni is tender.
3. Sprinkle with cheese. Cover; let stand 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted.

I absolutely adore this corn spoon bread. It is like those delish little scoops of sweet corn mixture you get sometimes at Mexican restaurants. I highly recommend it. The masa harina is just a finely ground cornmeal.

If you like an easy appetizer these antojitos minis are delicious. DH even requests them as a dinner entree from time to time.

As you can see I am addicted to allrecipes.com!

I always loved the sweet corn bread we got at Chi-Chi's & after they went out of business I spent a lot of time trying to find the recipe. When I eventually found a couple that were supposed to be it, I found they were nothing like what we got at our restaurant. :( So I set out to re-create it, combining the best parts of the many recipes out there. The end result had the texture I was looking for & although the taste wasn't quite the same, everyone here liked it better. LOL The best part is it's easier than the other recipes because I just use Jiffy Cornbread mix most of the time. ;)

Corn Cake

1 c corn*
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbl honey (opt)
1 box cornmuffin mix
1 c skim milk*
1/4 tsp cinnamon
6 oz yogurt (plain, vanilla or lemon)

Preheat oven to 375. Combine corn, 1/2 c of the milk, honey, vanilla & cinnamon. Briefly pulse with stick blender to break down some of the corn. Heat 8 - 10 minutes. Remove from heat & stir in remaining ingredients.

Spray an 8x8 pan & spread mixture into pan making sure the surface is even. Cover with aluminum foil. Fill a 13x9 pan 1/3 with hot water & place the 8x8 pan into the center. Bake for 30 or until the center appears set. (It's too moist for the toothpick test.) Remove 8x8 pan from larger pan & let set 10 minutes before serving with an ice cream scoop.

* I've also used an 8 oz can of creamed corn instead of frozen corn. Then I reduce the milk to 1/2 cup.

It's mainly the method that makes this so good. When I'm really in a hurry I skip the heating step & just mix everything in a bowl. It takes a couple minutes longer to bake though.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter