"Cinderella ate my daughter"

Just read the interview, and then looked up the USC study she mentions. I am not certain I would consider some of the films in the study to be "family movies." (I also wondered how much of the disparity in speaking roles is due to the paucity of female villains, but that's fodder for another thread.)

As I said, it does seem like an extension of an article she wrote a few years back. I am on the waiting list for the book at the library, so at some point I will read it, though I don't know how far down the queue I am.

For those who'd like to read an interview that Peggy Orenstein (the author of Cinderella Ate My Daughter) gave to a Disney site, here's the link:

http://disneydispatch.com/content/features/2011/interview-peggy-orenstein

I found issue with this interview actually more than the little article I read. In the end, hyper marketing is everywhere. It is up to us as parents to decide how far to allow it into our homes and our children's lives. Just because there is a Disney Princess makeup kit, doesn't mean my daughter has one no matter how much she loved the princesses. For that matter, nowhere in my house is the glut of SpongeBob or PowerRangers or whatever other hyper marketed topic you want to insert, either.

Like a good healthy diet...everything in moderation.

On reading the rest of the thread, there are a lot of little girls who still do things like me. Loved Cinderella and Star Wars.

Princess Leia now there's a princess who was tough. How can you Not love "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?":thumbsup2

Here's a thought. LET KIDS BE KIDS!!! Stop over analyzing their every move, and guess what? Most kids will turn out fine. The ones that don't? It ain't because of a few princesses. They were a few bricks short to begin with.

I'm a Dad of twin 7 yr old girls (and a 10 yr old son). They go from Disney Princesses one minute to High School Musical the next, to Phineus and Ferb, then on to playing tag or pretend restaurant or reading or playing with the dog or the cat. They have fun. LET THEM!

Heck, even if they grow up and STILL love Disney Princesses, what's the freaking harm? There are one or two on here, and they don'y bother me a bit.

Seriously, get a freaking grip people.

Here's a thought. LET KIDS BE KIDS!!! Stop over analyzing their every move, and guess what? Most kids will turn out fine. The ones that don't? It ain't because of a few princesses. They were a few bricks short to begin with.

I'm a Dad of twin 7 yr old girls (and a 10 yr old son). They go from Disney Princesses one minute to High School Musical the next, to Phineus and Ferb, then on to playing tag or pretend restaurant or reading or playing with the dog or the cat. They have fun. LET THEM!

Heck, even if they grow up and STILL love Disney Princesses, what's the freaking harm? There are one or two on here, and they don'y bother me a bit.

I have to be honest, when I started this thread, I didn't think you would be one of the people to comment on it. And having read some of your comments on other unrelated threads, I didn't think I'd be in much agreeance with you on very much at all. But after reading that?? I'm behind you 100%. I have been a Disney Princess fan my whole LIFE. I learned to operate the VCR (yes, the VCR) using a tape of The Little Mermaid rented from the local video store. I wanted everything pink and princess-y I could get my little hands on. I still kinda feel the same way, I can't lie.

But you know what? I'm still a good, well-rounded, intellegent person with goals and aspirations beyond sitting on a throne with servants waiting with bated breath to do my bidding. Not that it wouldn't be fun for a day or two ;) The point I wish people would get is there's no harm if your daughter wants to dress in pink all the time--she's probably gonna end up all right in the end. I did!!

I think you guys are sort of missing the point. The complaint is partially about the "girly girl" culture obsession, but it is also about corporate greed and branding. Like, your homemade Ariel outfit isn't as good as a store bought one. And the American Girl store is more about silly accessories than the mission of the stories.

The book cites parents who buy Disney princess merch for their kids, but refuse to let the kids see the movies, as they don't approve of the lessons therein. So it's okay to buy clothes to dress up like a character, as long as you can't recite the anti-feminist ideals they represent.

I think you guys are sort of missing the point. The complaint is partially about the "girly girl" culture obsession, but it is also about corporate greed and branding. Like, your homemade Ariel outfit isn't as good as a store bought one. And the American Girl store is more about silly accessories than the mission of the stories.

The book cites parents who buy Disney princess merch for their kids, but refuse to let the kids see the movies, as they don't approve of the lessons therein. So it's okay to buy clothes to dress up like a character, as long as you can't recite the anti-feminist ideals they represent.

This is another reason I wanted to post this thread: I knew there had to be more to it than just "Disney is the Evil One" to this argument. And I do agree that there is a lot of corporate greed and branding that goes on that's marketed toward little girls. But in that regard, when your children are that young, you can only let into your house what you ALLOW in. For example, my parents never got cable or satellite when I was growing up. As a result, I never watched rail-thin models prance around on MTV as glorified actors, and therefore never developed an unhealthy body image that manifested into an eating disorder/drug use/party-girl syndrome/what have you. Maybe I was lucky that way, but it was a measure my parents took to make sure I didn't fall into that trap.

And the idea that parents will buy the merch but not let them watch the associated movie is one of the dumbest things I've ever heard (not that it's not in the book, I'm not saying that!) I was allowed to watch the movies as a kid and it taught me to believe in my dreams, and to follow them with my own will and make them come true with my own means. It's just another reason this whole "Cinderella...daughter" movement is just so nonsensical to me. AND! If all you do is buy the merch and never let them see the movie, who do you really have to blame for all the corporate greed?! Yourself! Because you buy it all up for your little girl!! And companies will continue to produce, market and sell what continues to bring in money.

Sorry to keep going on about it...I just get started on a topic and I can't stop!

On an unrelated note, the song "Cinderella" by Steven Curtis Chapman makes me cry.

Gotta go....have something in my eye.....:sad:

Disney is in business to make money, and like it or not, they have every right to market their various products as they see fit to maximize their profits. If that means advertising to kids, be it girls or boys, I have no problem with that, as I see it for what it is, trying to sell something.

It is NOT Disney's job to teach your kids right from wrong. That is you as a parent's job. My twin girls are princess crazy, as most 7 year old girls are, but they also realize that they don't need a prince to come along and make their life great. Ask my daughter Ciara who her favourite Princess is, and she'll tell you the Paper Bag Princess.

Over Christmas holidays they helped my Mom out at her local soup kitchen, and saw how happy kids can be with so much less than they have. My one daughter is on their school's student council, and has raised hundreds of dollars for both our local food banks, as well as Haitian relief fund.

I'm not saying these things to brag about how great my kids are, but to show that most kids are a lot more well rounded than parents and society in general give them credit for. If Disney or any other company is who your children are learning their morals and life lessons from, it's not Disney's fault at all.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm NOT a parent but I'd like to believe that kids (Especially girls) can distinguish the difference in their own way rather than having a family member try to mold/groom them into something they don't want to be.

Exactly my thoughts. I'm NOT a parent but I'd like to believe that kids (Especially girls) can distinguish the difference in their own way rather than having a family member try to mold/groom them into something they don't want to be.

Have you ever seen Toddlers and Tiaras? It's actually sad what some parents do to their kids in the name of "beauty" and "self esteem"...many little girls are brainwashed with the whole Princess thing by their PARENTS!

Have you ever seen Toddlers and Tiaras? It's actually sad what some parents do to their kids in the name of "beauty" and "self esteem"...many little girls are brainwashed with the whole Princess thing by their PARENTS!

Toddlers and Tiaras has nothing to do with beauty or self esteem, it's all about parents living vicariously through their children. Adults using their kids as puppets to make themselves feel important.

It's funny, because the further I get into reading the book, the more even handed it gets. The author makes an excellent case for how much of this "princess" fad is genetic.

Regarding Toddlers & Tiaras, that show is ... a show. It's like 19 kids and counting, or Kate Plus 8 - sort of the "look at these really strange people" mentality. I do feel very sorry for those kids, especially the ones who don't seem to be even having a good time.

I think the primary point, which I'm hoping the author will get to (my Kindle says I'm only 30% done, LOL), is NOT that pink is bad, or that Cinderella is bad, but that you should be instilling more in your children than just the desire to be a princess. If you have a son, you should be telling them that women are deserving of respect and that they aren't just delicate princesses to be saved. As the author does point out, a lot of social issues between men and women in adulthood (domestic violence, divorce rates, etc.) may stem from things dating back to early childhood, and how the issue of gender and communication is initially addressed.

It's funny, because the further I get into reading the book, the more even handed it gets. The author makes an excellent case for how much of this "princess" fad is genetic.

Regarding Toddlers & Tiaras, that show is ... a show. It's like 19 kids and counting, or Kate Plus 8 - sort of the "look at these really strange people" mentality. I do feel very sorry for those kids, especially the ones who don't seem to be even having a good time.

I think the primary point, which I'm hoping the author will get to (my Kindle says I'm only 30% done, LOL), is NOT that pink is bad, or that Cinderella is bad, but that you should be instilling more in your children than just the desire to be a princess. If you have a son, you should be telling them that women are deserving of respect and that they aren't just delicate princesses to be saved. As the author does point out, a lot of social issues between men and women in adulthood (domestic violence, divorce rates, etc.) may stem from things dating back to early childhood, and how the issue of gender and communication is initially addressed.

It does sound pretty interesting, R317. Keep us posted on the outcome of the book!!

To the OP - great topic! So far, the responses are great and there is wonderful dialogue developing!

I have two sons and a daughter (the youngest and now 5). She enjoys the princesses, but isn't obsessed. However, I do believe that the stories in these tales (for that is how many of the Disney princesses began - as reincarnations of age-old fairy tales) have merit. For instance, I can have my DD analyze her behavior in a certain situation by comparing it to "Cinderella" or the "Stepsisters" (is she acting with respect for others, or whinining and trying to get "everything her way") I've also brought up that a princess is a princess because of what is inside - how she acts, behaves, and treats others. This concept is often exemplified, but if you only "look" at the characters, you miss the mark. I believe strong female leads can be found in Disney (Mulan, Tiana, and yes - even Cinderella).

Our daughters are being hit with female profiling on many levels - just watch the "Go Daddy" ads during the Superbowl or any of a number of other commercials that play. It is up to a parent to speak out and discuss this content with their daughters AND sons.

So, if my DD wants to put on a princess skirt, knight armor, and fairy wings to play with her brothers in the backyard - I let her. I hope to be able to arm her with the skills to decide right from wrong, to respect HER body, and to love herself for who she is and wants to become. Dreams, wishes, and fairy tales included!

Our daughters are being hit with female profiling on many levels - just watch the "Go Daddy" ads during the Superbowl or any of a number of other commercials that play. It is up to a parent to speak out and discuss this content with their daughters AND sons.

I have a couple friends who were IN a Godaddy commercial a couple years ago. :laughing:

http://www.myteespot.com/This-Princess-Saves-Herself-Nintendo-Sheer-Womens-T-shirt-p-14528.html

These are the shirts I bought my girls from the Japanese store in Epcot last year.

I have a couple friends who were IN a Godaddy commercial a couple years ago. :laughing:

http://www.myteespot.com/This-Princess-Saves-Herself-Nintendo-Sheer-Womens-T-shirt-p-14528.html

These are the shirts I bought my girls from the Japanese store in Epcot last year.

I don't usually post in this part of the DisBoards, but I'm laughing because this is the shirt we got my DD for Christmas!

She saw it in an ad and wanted it...what can I say, she loves Princess Peach and I loved the message! :goodvibes

We take our DDs to WDW wearing these: http://www.thinkgeek.com/tshirts-apparel/kids/bad7/

Because that is an awesome shirt.

I think that you can see a bit of an evolution in the Disney princesses from Snow White on. Tiana basically managed herself AND a deadwood prince through a lot of serious problems, fantastical though they were. And Mulan just kicked butt right and left. Ariel, at least, was a step up from the traditional fairy tale; she wasn't in constant physical pain in order to be with her prince.

My DD6 is moving out of the princess phase, and I am a little sad to see it go, honestly. Perhaps part of that is because it might cut down on our vacations to Disney (NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!). But, on the other hand, rather than dressing up in a big pink dress, she likes to find a pick up salamanders at a local park.

Balance in everything...

She gave up her voice....

In the short term. I believe the princesses of today are much better. I just got back from seeing Tangled and I believe that there you can find a balanced princess with emotional turmoil, but both her and Eugune/Flyn save each other (with a saucepan!)

Keep up with the positive female role models!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter