Classic “must watch” movies

pryncess527

DIS Veteran
What movies are so good you think everyone should watch them at least once?

I’m working on my digital movie collection and want to see what others recommend. So, what should I try? What movie can you watch 1000 times?

I’m watching Fried Green Tomatoes now for the first time in ages. It totally holds up ❤

I’d also add things like (im gonna show my age here)

Ferris Beullers Day Off
Steel Magnolias
A Few Good Men
Goonies
Support Your Local Sheriff
Pollyanna

And like a million more 😂

ETA: BTW, if you are a Prime member shop on Amazon but are willing to accept slower shipping, they'll give you a credit for a digital movie/song. It used to be $1, but its gone up to $3. I've gotten $12 in free movie rentals this last week alone.

Last edited:
Blade Runner, Scotts 80s version is my go to movie if I only one movie to watch over and over and over...... million times....the sound track is in my car and is very popular on youtube.

The Right Stuff, critically acclaimed collage of American History so a very interesting movie and in the context of John Glenn running for president in the 80s there was rumor that it was blacklisted by Reagan Hollywood elite, but no proof on-line in my research other than the popularity of Top Gun two years later, both movies are identical in terms of aviation, but Top Gun had a story, while The Right Stuff, if you knew history, had no surprises. Just like the 2019 Midway and upcoming movie The Greyhound....we all know how it ends

Musicals are my thing.... some of my must sees:

The Wizard of Oz
Meet Me in St Louis
Singin’ In the Rain
Oklahoma!
The King and I
West Side Story
The Music Man
My Fair Lady
Mary Poppins
The Sound of Music
Oliver!
Hello, Dolly!
Fiddler on the Roof
Grease
I love musicals! I have some of these, but a few need to go on my list to get

I dug through my DVD collection and selected my “quarantine playlist”:

short circuit
The blues brothers
Ma & pa Kettle (4 movie collection)
A knights tale
A little princess
The secret garden
Little women (Winona Ryder version)
Labyrinth (David Bowie 😍)
Anastasia
Becoming jane
Tron (the original classic)
The producers (Matthew Broderick version)
Pirates of Penzance (Kevin kline version)

Some of my non musical favorites:
Saturday Night Fever
Ben-Hur
American Graffiti
Love Story
Zeffirelli’s Romeo and Juliet
Whatever Happened to Baby Jane?
What’s Up, Doc?
A Streetcar Named Desire
All About Eve
The African Queen
Gone With the Wind
Spencer’s Mountain
The Wolfman (1941)
Random Harvest

Is there a date beyond which movies are considered classic? Turner Classic Movies seems to concentrate largely on movies prior to the late 1970s though others creep in.

I have on long list, but will start with one. It is does not have to be the best but certainly worth watching -

Mrs. Miniver

Time Bandits, a classic movie for any literature teacher to have on file, I used it as an introduction to Teaching Animal Farm Also a great ensemble movie for British film actors ( Sean is not a brit). Simple movie with no enduring plot but runs the gamut of symbolism that has ruled the world.

"The Women" (1939). Probably seen it 40+ times.
"Letter to Three Wives"
"The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" (silent version)
"The Discrete Charm of the Bourgoisie"
"The Gods must be Crazy"
La Cage aux Folles" The French version is my fav but the American version makes for a nice comparative.
"The Color Purple"
"Malcom X" and "Do the Right Thing".

Casablanca is amazing.
My mom just told me to add that to my list, it was my dad's favorite movie but ive never seen it

Is there a date beyond which movies are considered classic? Turner Classic Movies seems to concentrate largely on movies prior to the late 1970s though others creep in.

I have on long list, but will start with one. It is does not have to be the best but certainly worth watching -

Mrs. Miniver

Well, some of mine are from the 80;s, a& 90's

"The Women" (1939). Probably seen it 40+ times.
"Letter to Three Wives"
"The Cabinet of Dr. Caligari" (silent version)
"The Discrete Charm of the Bourgoisie"
"The Gods must be Crazy"
La Cage aux Folles" The French version is my fav but the American version makes for a nice comparative.
"The Color Purple"
"Malcom X" and "Do the Right Thing".
I havent seen a few of these, adding to my queue

Some off the top of my head.

The Apartment
Some Like It Hot
It Happened One Night
You Can’t Take It With You

some like it hot was on TCM the other night! Love that movie—well I think I’d love it more with just Tony and Jack, but still a great movie!

Hubs and I are getting through all of Mel Brooks films right now. Started with The Producers then did The Twelve Chairs last night which was darn good and I'd never seen it!
I'd add everything Mel Brooks to the list!
Blazing Saddles
Young Frankenstein
Spaceballs
History of the World
Robin Hood Men in Tights

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter