Cocoa (Port Canaveral) to get Brightline Rail Station

I would find that pretty useful. I do my side job in Viera, halfway between Cocoa and Melbourne, would be nice to not have to drive to MCO to pick up my colleagues, they can ride the train to Cocoa and I'll pick them up there.

It appears there will be a connection from MCO to Cocoa. This should make cruising out of Port Canaveral easier. I am not sure if they will run direct trains but presume they would. My next question is the fare.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/ne...ng-access-to-brevard-cruise-ships/ar-BB1jM0cJ
I'm wondering how well this would work out for typical cruisers. Let's say they fly into MCO and need to get to the port. Right now they can purchase bus transfers that will take them and their luggage directly to the ship.

How would the train improve on this? Wouldn't the passenger have to collect their airline luggage and take it to the train in Terminal C? And then, once the train gets to Cocoa, how to they get themselves and luggage the last 10 miles to the ship? Another bus? Seems like a lot of extra handling and wait times.

How could there not be direct trains? There is no other station between MCO and Cocoa.
There might be times that the train doesn't stop at that station even though it's on the route. Every train doesn't stop at each of the stations in south Florida.

It reads to me more like they are still in the 'talking' stages. Many of these proposals get floated and talked about, some workout while others do not. If Cocoa Beach is 10 miles from where the cruise ships depart, some other form of local transportation would still be required.

1710766594141.png

It reads to me more like they are still in the 'talking' stages. Many of these proposals get floated and talked about, some workout while others do not. If Cocoa Beach is 10 miles from where the cruise ships depart, some other form of local transportation would still be required.

View attachment 842811
There would still be a last mile type service needed, but I would guess that there would be a company that would offer to do nothing but run a shuttle from the train station to the port for just a couple of bucks. It would need to cross the Indian and Banana rivers but a bus for 10 miles should be a lot cheaper to operate and purchase than a bus for 50 miles that we have now. Even Uber or Lyft, I know people that have had issues finding drivers to take fares from Brevard County to MCO at times, and the cost has been horrible.

a bus for 10 miles should be a lot cheaper to operate and purchase than a bus for 50 miles that we have now.
Yes, that might be cheaper. But then you have to add the cost of the train from the airport to the Cocoa station. Will that total be cheaper? And even if it is, does that compensate for the extra handling as you load/unload again?

There would still be a last mile type service needed, but I would guess that there would be a company that would offer to do nothing but run a shuttle from the train station to the port for just a couple of bucks. It would need to cross the Indian and Banana rivers but a bus for 10 miles should be a lot cheaper to operate and purchase than a bus for 50 miles that we have now. Even Uber or Lyft, I know people that have had issues finding drivers to take fares from Brevard County to MCO at times, and the cost has been horrible.
The miles really aren't the biggest cost. Much of the cost of a shuttle is administration (reservations and booking), paying staff and also paying fees for access to the port and airport/train station. I think a couple bucks would be more like $15pp. Add that to the cost of the train ticket and it might not be a money saver for the guest.

I don't think city council is looking for this as a way to bring cruisers to Port Canaveral. They want to bring in additional tourism to Cocoa Beach that doesn't bypass their hotels and restaurants to go straight to a mega ship. This could be a way for them to do that for people that don't want to rent a car and drive.

I don't think city council is looking for this as a way to bring cruisers to Port Canaveral. They want to bring in additional tourism to Cocoa Beach that doesn't bypass their hotels and restaurants to go straight to a mega ship.
Interesting thought. Just wanted to point out that Cocoa and Cocoa Beach are two different places.

I'm wondering how well this would work out for typical cruisers. Let's say they fly into MCO and need to get to the port. Right now they can purchase bus transfers that will take them and their luggage directly to the ship.

How would the train improve on this? Wouldn't the passenger have to collect their airline luggage and take it to the train in Terminal C? And then, once the train gets to Cocoa, how to they get themselves and luggage the last 10 miles to the ship? Another bus? Seems like a lot of extra handling and wait times.
The bus transfers I have seen go out of terminal A and start at 10 AM with the last bus leaving around 12:30 PM. If you're flying, say JetBlue which uses terminal C, the train is in the same terminal. So collecting luggage out of terminal C and going to a bus transfer is likely 30 minutes and then has the issue of first-come first-serve on the bus. I am not sure many cruisers are keen on waiting for the next available bus especially as embarkation time draws near. Also, it should be easier for those flying Aer Lingus, Azul, British Airways, Caribbean, Emirates, Gol, Icelandair, Lufthansa and Norse using terminal C.

Add to that the risk of accidents on the bus transfer to/from MCO to PC. Of course, Brightline could incur a delay, but I would venture to say the probabilities are far less than the traffic on the 528/A1A. And this section of Brightline's rail can achieve speeds up to 125 MPH giving them a traveler's ETA advantage. I would surmise there will be shuttle services from the Cocoa station to the cruise ports, but at least the distance is shortened considerable as the traveler is likely within 10 miles vs. 45 miles. I think the net time will be less due to the high-speed advantage. For those cruisers that have earlier boarding on the ship and/or want to maximize their time, the rail should have another advantage and make it easier on stress.

I am going to presume the rail, holistically, will carry/transfer more passengers than the bus transfers regardless of cycling bandwidth. Additionally, I am going to presume the rail will have better seating and restroom arrangements. I do not know if you will be able to purchase dedicated tickets/seats ahead of time on the rail but presume it would be like it is now. That should make it easier than the stress of first-come, first-served in a bus transfer scenario.

No timeline has been given on the construction or final date as they are seeking additional funding/grants before breaking ground. And by the time the station is finished, I do wonder what airlines will be serviced by terminal C thereby making the rail an even easier option.

How could there not be direct trains? There is no other station between MCO and Cocoa.
Direct meaning a loop from MCO to Cocoa only. I think they will use the MCO to Miami loop with return trains from Miami stopping at Cocoa.

Any type of rail service needs enough riders on an ongoing basis to make it profitable. In some major cities, it reduces freeway congestion for those going to work on weekdays. Likely all of these are based on future projections of number of riders to see if the numbers work.

It would need to cross the Indian and Banana rivers but a bus for 10 miles should be a lot cheaper to operate and purchase than a bus for 50 miles that we have now. Even Uber or Lyft, I know people that have had issues finding drivers to take fares from Brevard County to MCO at times, and the cost has been horrible.

Based on this, I am guessing the Brightline option would be a more green-friendly option too.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter