College football playoffs/bowls

JimMIA

There's more to life than mice...
Here's the full list of college football games, including the 3 playoff games for the national championship. https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...es-dates-locations-tv-channels-kickoff-times/

Personally, we're excited to see a great playoff matchup locally in our Orange Bowl between Michigan and Georgia.

We have mixed feelings about DD's school's bowl game (Gasparilla Bowl in Tampa on Dec 23). We're excited to be playing Florida for the first time, but that's diluted quite a bit by the venue.

Two of DD's roommates are members of the UCF Starlet Knight Color Guards and we were hoping they would get a nice bowl trip -- like Hawaii, CA, TX, etc. But, alas, only Tampa, less than two hours away!

Look at the bright side (for your DD's roomates)... it will be much cheaper to drive two hours than to do flight, hotel, and all the other stuff.

At least this year they didn't have to find teams with losing records to fill all the slots. I think I counted 41 or 42 games (not counting the national championship games). So 82 teams get an extra game. Out of 130. That's 63%.

Look at the bright side (for your DD's roomates)... it will be much cheaper to drive two hours than to do flight, hotel, and all the other stuff.

At least this year they didn't have to find teams with losing records to fill all the slots. I think I counted 41 or 42 games (not counting the national championship games). So 82 teams get an extra game. Out of 130. That's 63%.
Yeah, I think it's WAY too many bowl games. Seriously -- look at the names of some of these games. "Tony-the-Tiger Bowl"...really? I like Cheez-its, and Famous Idaho Potatoes, and I'm sure Duke's is great mayo...but NCAA Football Bowl Games???

Also, they play 12 games already and injuries increase in both frequency and seriousness late in the season. It would be a shame to see a young man's career ended playing in some third rank bowl in December.

But it's a money thing.

Yeah, I think it's WAY too many bowl games. Seriously -- look at the names of some of these games. "Tony-the-Tiger Bowl"...really? I like Cheez-its, and Famous Idaho Potatoes, and I'm sure Duke's is great mayo...but NCAA Football Bowl Games???
I agree 110%...some of these names are ludicrous! I know the company wants their name on the game because they are putting up the money but still. I remember when the Hall of Fame Bowl in Tampa changed to the Outback Bowl...which I thought was crazy at the time.

My daughter’s school is playing in the cheese-it bowl, I’ve never followed college football before and thought it sounded weird.

Also, they play 12 games already and injuries increase in both frequency and seriousness late in the season. It would be a shame to see a young man's career ended playing in some third rank bowl in December.

But it's a money thing.
I've never understood this, I know it's a thing but I feel like sometimes they take it too far. I live in Athens, GA home of The University of Georgia (Go Dawgs, have to say it, it's the law). UGA has a very rich athletic department and alumni who give big bucks. They also almost always have a decent football team, a darn good tennis team, an amazing swimming and dive team and sometimes a good gymnastics team. I always feel so sorry for the little teams that end up playing them in football but do it anyway because their school gets big bucks to do it.

On a side note, I decorated our tree today and hung our UGA ornament (Daddy, hubby, brother, mother and son all went to UGA). I had a little talk with UGA when I hung him up. I told him I was putting him on the tree but I was not happy with him and he better straighten up. I might have called him young man.

My DS has a challenge for a spot in band for the Orange Bowl at 6 pm tonight! Please keep your fingers crossed for him!
Does the entire band not go to the bowl game? Or is in the show? When I was in the marching band it was the entire band and if you didn't go to the bowl game you failed.

As for bowls, I'm pretty excited. My school is coming to Tampa so bought tickets this morning to see them play!

Does the entire band not go to the bowl game? Or is in the show? When I was in the marching band it was the entire band and if you didn't go to the bowl game you failed.

As for bowls, I'm pretty excited. My school is coming to Tampa so bought tickets this morning to see them play!
There are about 400 kids in the band and they challenge every single week if there is a game. There are only about 235-250 that make it to pregame and halftime. Some schools do it differently like yours where everyone that makes the band is automatically in the shows. U of M's thinking is that if they challenge every week they stay in their best shape for performances. It is nerve wracking though! Probably more for me than DS.

I see that Hawaii has a losing record at 6-7. And I stopped counting when the number of 6-6 teams passed 10.:sad2:

I see that Hawaii has a losing record at 6-7. And I stopped counting when the number of 6-6 teams passed 10.:sad2:
Oops, missed it. But more than HALF of the teams in the bowl division make it to a bowl. If everyone is special, then no one is. Lol

Oops, missed it. But more than HALF of the teams in the bowl division make it to a bowl. If everyone is special, then no one is. Lol
It's the new "participation trophy."

But actually, it's not at all. It's just a money thing.

People will pay to attend, companies will pay to sponsor, networks (mostly Disney's ESPN) will pay schools to pay. Schools use their bowl appearances to recruit athletes -- who now are also getting paid. Everybody makes money.

It's the new "participation trophy."

But actually, it's not at all. It's just a money thing.

People will pay to attend, companies will pay to sponsor, networks (mostly Disney's ESPN) will pay schools to pay. Schools use their bowl appearances to recruit athletes -- who now are also getting paid. Everybody makes money.
Oh, I know. But you know what, at this point, might as well have a 13th game for everyone. OR expand the playoffs to WAY more than 4 teams. I think the FCS does 24(?) teams. AND they start Thanksgiving weekend with the championship game 1/8. So all the talk about how they shouldn't expand the playoffs because of physicality or athletes missing too many classes or any other BS is just that... BS.

Hope to see my team go all the way! First year in a long time that I haven’t written them a check :cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter