College Program Questions Thread, Pt 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! does anyone know when the fall 2012 applications go up?
Also, does anyone know how it works to have an apartment instead of the dcp housing? do you still have to pay a deposit? when do you need to provide an address? etc... ANY info would be great! thanks!

ALSO! I'm looking at abaco key apartments, legends at champions gate, and a couple more in celebration. I'd appreciate any input on findinf an apartment around disney. Thanks!

My daughter is thinking of doing the WDW CP and I had a question about going seasonal and how that works. We live near Disneyland, would she be able to go seasonal and do the 40 hours (I think that's what I read?) at Disneyland instead of WDW? It would be neat to keep the perks forever! :) If not, does anyone know if there's a way to apply straight to being a seasonal employee and does that only require 40 hours a year?

I don't know about Disneyland, but at WDW CPs can go straight to seasonal if they qualify (not too many points, etc.) I would think that if she has a good record she would be able to be hired seasonally at DL, but not really sure how that works. Hopefully someone who knows will jump in and answer your question.

I do know that at WDW the seasonal requirement changed this past October from 40 hours to 150 hours per year. I'm not sure if it changed at DL or not, but if you live close it shouldn't be hard to do anyway.

My daughter is thinking of doing the WDW CP and I had a question about going seasonal and how that works. We live near Disneyland, would she be able to go seasonal and do the 40 hours (I think that's what I read?) at Disneyland instead of WDW? It would be neat to keep the perks forever! :) If not, does anyone know if there's a way to apply straight to being a seasonal employee and does that only require 40 hours a year?

You cannot be seasonal at DLR after a WDW CP. You have to be trained in the specific area you are working, and you cannot be employed at both parks at the same time. From what I remember from a friend that did a CP at DLR then went seasonal, they have even more requirements for working than WDW; she had to provide availability over all her school breaks or they would separate her. WDW won't tell you specific time windows you need to work.

Long story short: you can only be seasonal where you already worked. There's no way around the minimum annual hour requirements.

Thanks for all the information! Sounds like we won't be getting discounted vacations out of her then! :laughing:

She's interested in working in the Kids Clubs in the hotels - this is listed on the CP website, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it here. She's worked for 5 years as a Camp Counselor. Is it hard to get this job as CP? Has anyone done it?

Hey I'm so excited! I leave in 17 days!

I have a question though
I currently work at old navy and would like to still keep my job with them working like one day a week (like on my day off from DCP). Does anyone know if I will be able to keep my other job or is something like that a big no-no? I know that I will be working alot of hours at disney but I really like my job at old navy...

any information would be much appreciated!

Jessica MickeyEars ( )*o*( )

Hey I'm so excited! I leave in 17 days!

I have a question though
I currently work at old navy and would like to still keep my job with them working like one day a week (like on my day off from DCP). Does anyone know if I will be able to keep my other job or is something like that a big no-no? I know that I will be working alot of hours at disney but I really like my job at old navy...

any information would be much appreciated!

Jessica MickeyEars ( )*o*( )
It would really be difficult because as a CP, your days off can change from week to week.

Thanks for all the information! Sounds like we won't be getting discounted vacations out of her then! :laughing:

She's interested in working in the Kids Clubs in the hotels - this is listed on the CP website, but I haven't heard anyone talk about it here. She's worked for 5 years as a Camp Counselor. Is it hard to get this job as CP? Has anyone done it?

I don't know much about Kids Clubs at the hotels specifically, but someone I met here in the WDW program is a Recreation Cast Member. Her sub-category is children's games and activities at the Fort Wilderness Campgrounds (and I know they have this poolside at the resorts as well), so she often uses the same skill-set as a Camp Counselor would use. :thumbsup2

It would really be difficult because as a CP, your days off can change from week to week.

yea I know it is going to be difficult, do you know when the disney schedules come out? like do you get your schedule a week in advance? or is it one of those call on saturday for sundays schedule? :upsidedow

Schedules come out on Sunday for most departments, that day you find out the Sunday-Saturday schedule for the following week. Meaning at any one time you know at most 2 full weeks of your schedule. IIRC paycheck totals are now posted online on Monday but you don't get the money til Thursday (EPCOT: Every Paycheck Comes On Thursday) and its the same if you get the check or do direct deposit.

IF you keep your other job, realize that you have given Disney FULL AVAILABILITY during your CP. You can try to trade or give shifts away but there's no guarantee. You can make requests with your departments scheduling for certain kinds of shifts or days off but CPs get last priority for everything. Requesting time off on the Hub is allowed but it might not get you anywhere.

As Orangekid mentioned, most schedules are on Sunday a week in advance.

However, resort schedules (specifically front desk/concierge) do not come out until Wednesday, only 4 days in advance. I was not prepared for such a quick turnaround for my schedule. Their schedules are based on room occupancy and check-ins/outs, which is why they come out so late.

DO you have to go to specific colleges to be able to enroll in the program? If not, are any colleges excluded?

DO you have to go to specific colleges to be able to enroll in the program? If not, are any colleges excluded?
Not all colleges can offer credit for the program, but it as long as you are enrolled in a college, ANY college, you are good to apply! It just depends on if you plan on getting credits for doing the program, and that depends on your school. I was the only one from my school who did it!

So I have a roommate, and 2 girl who have all agreed we want to be apartment-mates! We have planned to meet up and register together, as have many in our arrival time. I also received an email from a random girl telling me we've been matched together as roommates. Is this easy enough to sort out when I get there? I am freaking out because the girls and I have been planning this for weeks and we all got each other gifts, and I'd hate to be broken up from them! :(

yea I know it is going to be difficult, do you know when the disney schedules come out? like do you get your schedule a week in advance? or is it one of those call on saturday for sundays schedule? :upsidedow

Just to let you know, I also work at Old Navy, and you only need to work one shift every 90 days to stay in the system. I'm pretty sure a store down there would be willing to work with you.

Also which roles offer the most standard/set hours, and which jobs offer the most/least amount of hours a week?

Also which roles offer the most standard/set hours, and which jobs offer the most/least amount of hours a week?

It really varies by location (for example- a resort may have less hours then working on Main Street, or at World of Disney).

So I have a roommate, and 2 girl who have all agreed we want to be apartment-mates! We have planned to meet up and register together, as have many in our arrival time. I also received an email from a random girl telling me we've been matched together as roommates. Is this easy enough to sort out when I get there? I am freaking out because the girls and I have been planning this for weeks and we all got each other gifts, and I'd hate to be broken up from them! :(

Unfortunately you are only guaranteed one roomate. You can all line up together, but there is no guarantee you will wind up in the same apartment (as it depends on availability).

Well, the good news is I got my roomie thing fixed. Since we're arriving on the first leg I was told we stand a better chance at picking to be together. Whereas the group 2 weeks from now is less likely because so many people will already be there. Thank you for the response :D

You can look it up on the CP website, they have the entire schedule, just search by your school! :D

Anyone know when they'll post a schedule for Spring recruitment presentations?

Spring 2012 is closed (as the participants start arriving soon). Disney will start recruiting for Fall 2012 soon (I've heard dates ranging between Jan 19-23, but also could be in early Feb). And Disney will be recruiting for Spring 2013 in Aug

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter