• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Come Along My Little Strudels on a 2016 ABD Trip Report - Cloud 9 Sky Bar

Folklore Garden

After being dropped off at the dock, we made our way to a bus loading zone. Unfortunately, our bus wasn’t there and the guides had to do some calling around to see where it was. We waited about 10-15 minutes for the bus to arrive. I spent the time chatting up another couple. They found out I was from Phoenix and were like, ugh, Phoenix. Turns out, they had visited the city to catch a baseball game and check a stadium off their list...in July. I laughed and said, okay, I’ll give you a pass on hating the city since you visited in July and that was just a bad life decision. Then I told them to come back for Spring Training, even though their Phillies are in Florida, because it will be way more fun and much more pleasant.

We boarded the bus and set off for our next destination: the Folklore Garden. The only dinner show I love is the Hoop Dee Doo Review, otherwise I can take em or leave ‘em. This one was enjoyable, but it is not how I would have chosen to spend the 2nd night in Prague, either.It has a 4.5 rating on Trip Advisor and seems to be quite popular. I do, however, have an appreciation for ABD bringing us here for the Czech music and dancing, because while it's not what I would have picked, it's also something I wouldn't have experienced otherwise. We were the only one’s in attendance for this particular show, which I believe is the norm? Jennae mentioned that there was a bigger show after our and we could see them setting up for it while we were eating. I think the regular show includes more dancers and music. Don’t get me wrong, I had a great time, it just ended up being my least favorite meal of the trip. I checked out their website and since they are popular with groups they are also well-versed in accommodating a variety of menu’s and allergies. I can see that also being a huge selling point for groups like ours.

The Folklore Garden is set in a large room with family style seating and a stage for the dancers and ensemble. I enjoyed all the artifacts on the ceiling.

This garden scene was also part of the ambiance of the meal. You definitely didn't feel like you were in the city any longer. It had a down-home feel to it. I was beginning to crave some comfort food.

We were treated to some traditional Czech music as we sat down.

My dad and I sat with another couple who had retired in Florida and Jennae joined us for the actual meal. I had met the couple the night before and they mentioned that they spend about half of the year traveling, so I asked them where they were headed next. Turns out, this was the beginning of a 90-day tour for them! After the ABD they were going on a river cruise, taking a cruise across the Atlantic, and then spending a few weeks cruising and diving in the Bahamas. I’m pretty sure my eyes bugged out and my mouth hit the floor when they told us that. We had a great conversation about their many travels, as they have been literally everywhere (they don’t even have a travel bucket list anymore!) and happy to discuss what they had done and seen. They were fascinating to converse with throughout the trip.

When we arrived we were welcomed with the delicious traditional liquor made of Moravian honey (alcoholic): Honeywine. From the website, since they describe it best: Honeywine has many names: liquid gold, traditional Slavic drink, a natural product, an elixir of strength and youth, the drink of the gods, ambrosia. It has been highly valued since ancient times and it was the drink of kings and aristocrats. Honey wine is the oldest alcoholic drinks known to man. I thought it was deliciously sweet.

Waiting for us on the table was a cheese spread with bread and some water. The spread was sort of a paprika cream cheese. It's popular in this part of the world and we found variations throughout the trip. I loved them all, except the one in Munich.

Bob and I opted to go with a beer and water for dinner. We were served a Staropramen.

Our soup course was a traditional Czech potato soup with mushrooms, served in this Minnie Mouse-esque pot! Jennae pointed it out, I told her I most definitely noticed, and we both appreciated.

The main course was 3 types of grilled meat: pork neck, chicken drumsticks, and smoked pork. It was also served family style alongside some potatoes and vegetables.

Dessert was an apple pie.

Okay y’all. Everything was fine. Nothing was outstanding and nothing was terrible. It was a family style meal in a venue where they regularly serve lots of people with varying palates. Do with that what you like.

The entertainment portion took place throughout our meal and mainly consisted of dancing and music. They were very good. We were encouraged (not forced, noooo, not at all ;)) to participate in the dancing alongside our wonderful dancers.

Everyone who participated had a good laugh and chuckle at our lack of coordination. No matter how you get a smile on your face, right?!

A few more pics of the people who know what they're doing. All the performers were great. After finishing up the meal, we headed back down the bus and onto our hotel.

Last edited:
I agree with everything you said about the Folklore Gardens. Our dinner there was actually our farewell dinner. We didn't have a slideshow or anything because it was really only a 2-day trip. It was nice, but not great.

Did any of you go out & explore the little village they had outside the dining hall?

Sayhello

Strange - we had to wait for us bus to show up after the river cruise too.....I think that is the only time transport hasn't been ready on any of our ABDs!

Really enjoying the trip report. Looks like you guys had a great time.

Thank you! Unsurprisingly, it continues to get better from here, too!

I agree with everything you said about the Folklore Gardens. Our dinner there was actually our farewell dinner. We didn't have a slideshow or anything because it was really only a 2-day trip. It was nice, but not great.

Did any of you go out & explore the little village they had outside the dining hall?

Sayhello

Interesting choice for a farewell dinner! I know it was only 2 days, but I like when the farewell dinners allow everyone to enjoy each others company and reminisce over the past activities. We did not explore, but mostly because by the time we arrived it had begun raining steadily. Otherwise, I think we would have.

Strange - we had to wait for us bus to show up after the river cruise too.....I think that is the only time transport hasn't been ready on any of our ABDs!

Hmm, interesting observation. Wonder if it's a fluke or a more common issue for that particular activity? There were a bunch of buses waiting in the area when we disembarked, unfortunately none of them were ours!

Cloud 9 Sky Bar

After finishing up the meal, we headed back down the bus and onto our hotel. I have no idea what time we got back, but it was not super late. Maybe 8ish? Bob and I packed everything up and then decided to go back out into the Prague night for one last hurrah. If you remember, the previous night we tried to find the Hilton with the rooftop bar, but were unsuccessful. This time I mapped it ahead of time and we were successful!

It was about a 10-minute walk from the Marriott to the Sky Bar Hilton. When you enter the hotel take a right and you’ll see lights on the floor directing you to the sky bar. We missed them and ended up going to another elevator bank.

Luckily, we were directed to and found the Sky Bar pretty quickly. It’s definitely got a cool, swanky vibe. Happily, we had no wait for a table. It’s a long bar with picture windows going all the way across.

We ordered a couple of cocktails and enjoyed the view. I went outside, and tried to snap a few pictures, but I forgot my camera and only had my phone. The iPhone I have doesn’t do great at night, so the pictures aren’t very good, but it was a beautiful view of the skyline. I also got stuck out here. I have no idea where the button was to go in and out, but I pulled and pulled on the door and it wasn’t budging. Luckily, I got the hostess’ attention and she let me out. Phew! I had texted my dad, who is perpetually on his phone, but of course, that’s when he decided NOT to look at it. He proceeded to laugh for about 5 minutes after I had been freed, and he finally read the text.

My dad’s drink came pretty quickly, but I waited quite a while for mine.

When the waitress brought it, she apologized and gave us two free dragon shots for the wait. We thanked her, told her it wasn’t necessary, and enjoyed the shot. When we sat down, I contemplated ordering a couple Becherovka shots, just to see what it tasted like, so I’m glad I didn’t.

We spent some time slowly drinking our cocktails before settling up and making our way back. I’d recommend going by the Sky Bar if you get a chance while in the city and want expensive drinks with a great view, which is what we were going for.

And thus ends our time in Prague. The next morning we were off to Cesky Krumlov and Berchtesgaden!

What a fun way to enjoy the night scene. Out of curiosity, do they offer non alcoholic drinks?

Mary

Thanks to you a group of us enjoyed ourselves at the sky bar in Stresa. I don't know if we would have found it by ourselves, but I dragged my husband there the first night and it became a ritual after that. Does the name sky bar mean that these are a chain or just that they are located at the top of a building? We were on our way to one in Lucerne recommended by one of the guides but had to turn back due to the weather.

What a fun way to enjoy the night scene. Out of curiosity, do they offer non alcoholic drinks?

I don't know if they have a specific non-alcoholic cocktail menu, but they definitely have non-alcoholic options. I bet you could even get them to mix you up something fun and fancy!

Mary

Thanks to you a group of us enjoyed ourselves at the sky bar in Stresa. I don't know if we would have found it by ourselves, but I dragged my husband there the first night and it became a ritual after that. Does the name sky bar mean that these are a chain or just that they are located at the top of a building? We were on our way to one in Lucerne recommended by one of the guides but had to turn back due to the weather.

I think they're usually either called Sky Bars or Rooftop Bars due to their location, rather than an actual chain. Glad you got to check out the Sky Bar in Stresa! Great views!

Umm, did your Dad wonder where you were?!

Haha! One would think. That's basically us in a nutshell...'where were you?'...'i got stuck outside, i texted you to come get me'...'oh, sorry, i didn't notice'...'but, what else were you doing???'...thanks dad!

It was about a 10-minute walk from the Marriott to the Sky Bar Hilton. When you enter the hotel take a right and you’ll see lights on the floor directing you to the sky bar. We missed them and ended up going to another elevator bank.

I think it's a sign I read too many trip reports. This winter after our holiday Danube ABD we did the Prague add on and stayed at the Hilton v. Marriott (to my disappointment). Every time we walked to our room we passed the sign to the sky bar and I kept thinking "I've seen this before in Mary's trip report."

Would love to see your photos of Cesky Krumlov-such a beautiful place :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter