Completed 1/13 - Monoraaaaaaaail! - August 2023 Trip Report

Araminta18

DIS Veteran
Hello! Welcome to my trip report! was attending one of the Disney Leadership trainings at the Contemporary, and since the conference included a discounted rate at the Contemporary, my husband decided to tag along and we added a couple extra days and made a vacation out of it. I love writing trip reports because it allows me to basically relive the trip, so hopefully this is at least a little bit interesting for people are not me. :)

The details:
who: me and my husband Trevor
when: Saturday, August 12 through August 21, 2023
where: Art of Animation (Aug 12-14) and Contemporary (Aug 14-21)

Introductions:
I'm Tiffany, I'll be your ghost host for this trip report. :) I'm 36 (as of like a week ago :) ) and while I'm a librarian by education, I currently do federal records management, since records management is where the pay is, and I gotta pay for Disney! Favorite princess is Sleeping Beauty, but I also love Mary Poppins and Beauty and the Beast and Rapunzel. Favorite ride: I can never pick just one -- Haunted Mansion, Rise of the Resistance, Tower of Terror, Guardians of the Galaxy Cosmic Rewind...I can't pick! But I also love the food and the theming -- the music and all the attention to detail just makes me happy.

My traveling companion is my husband Trevor. He's 37 and loves Star Wars, but has grown to love Disney--his favorite characters are Boba Fett, Vader and Stormtroopers, and on the non-Star Wars side, Grumpy. His favorite rides used to be Haunted Mansion and Star Tours--he doesn't really like coasters or thrill rides, but I did get him to try Big Thunder Mountain and Space Mountain and I don't know that he'd call them favorites, but he definitely likes them. And as of our January trip I got him to ride Expedition Everest and Rockin Roller Coaster! Been slowly building up his coaster tolerance. :D
2023-08-21 - Magic Kingdom Park - Belles village_6_small.jpg

Ok! So let's get started! I actually began planning this trip back in February, when work approved me to attend the Disney Leadership training course. I was pretty excited for the course cause I'd heard good things, but also I was excited because the course was going to be at the Contemporary and there was a discounted price to stay there (like $350 + tax a night), so I was like booooooom let's stay longer - vacation! First time at a monorail resort! Woot! So I got everything set up through work (all the travel and such), and was having fun planning stuff, and then I was like wait...the class starts Monday afternoon, and I'm flying in Monday morning...why?! Why don't we fly in Saturday, cause then extra day and a half in Disney?! Esp cause if we didn't fly in til Monday I'd be sitting around at home all weekend basically being like "why aren't we at Disney...". So made that whole change, including finding a discounted rate at Art of Animation (woot!) for the two nights (yay check another Disney resort off my list). And since work was flying me down I was flying American, not Southwest like normal, but we still had flight credit on Southwest so we decided Trevor would fly down on Southwest (cause it was basically free with the credit). So lots of kind of logistics stuff.

But finally it was almost time to go! I ended up taking the day before off of work to do laundry and pack, and I was randomly checking my MDE account for something else and then I noticed something odd: my Contemporary reservation was no longer for Aug 14-Aug 21, but for Aug 13 - Aug 17th!! So that freaked me out a bit - I immediately called up the Disney Institute folks (cause the reservation was made through them) and was like "uhhhh help?!" The gal on the phone was like "huh that's weird" and put me on a 25 min hold to "see what was available at the resort". Not gonna lie, I was definitely panicking a bit but she got it all fixed. Phew!

After that I decided to treat myself and go get a little basic manicure with Haunted Mansion stickers for my nails! I don't get manicures very often, so I felt a bit awkward, especially when the lady knocked something towards my hands and I didn't think so I moved to stop and of course smudged my nail polish. Oops! It turned out ok. Not my favorite, but still fun.
IMG_3208.JPG IMG_3210.JPG

But pretty soon Trevor was home from work and we got all our outfits picked out and were all ready to go! And our flight the next day wasn't til 10:30, so we didn't need to catch the uber until about 8 am. So a *little* bit of sleeping in! :)

Table of Contents

Departure Day! - Saturday August 12, 2023 (part 1)
Shopping and Treats! - Saturday Aug 12 2023 (part 2)
Dinner at Wine Bar George! - Saturday August 12, 2023 (part 3)
Disney Springs at Night! - Saturday, August 12, 2023 (part 4)

Room Tour!- Saturday August 12, 2023 (part 5)
Time for sleep! - Saturday August 12, 2023 (part 6) (I did say it was a lot of pictures!)

Resort Exploring! - Sunday, August 13, 2023 (part 1)
More resort pictures! - Saturday August 13, 2023 (part 2)
Hollywood Studios! - Sunday August 13, 2023 (part 3)
Goal: Achieved! - Sunday, August 13, 2023 (part 4)
Luckiest Morning Ever! - Sunday August 13, 2023 (part 5)

Mickey and Minnie's Runaway Railway - Sunday August 13, 2023 (part 6)
Rockin Roller Coaster & Woody's Roundup Rodeo BBQ! - Sunday August 13, 2023 (part 7)
Roundup Rodeo BBQ - Sunday August 13, 2023 (part 8)

Roundup Rodeo BBQ desserts - Sunday August 13, 2023 (part 9)
Naptime! - Sunday August 13, 2023 (part 10)
Epcot rides! - Sunday August 13, 2023 (part 11)
Cars Area Theming - Sunday, August 13, 2023 (part 12)
All the Cars Land Theming - Sunday, August 13, 2023 (part 13)
Landscape of Flavors Dinner - Sunday, August 13, 2023 (part 14)

Goodbye Art of Animation, Hello Magic Kingdom! - Monday, August 14, 2023 (part 1)
Magical Moment on the Carousel - Monday, August 14, 2023 (part 2)
Umpteenth Ride on Seven Dwarfs and First Ride on Tron! - Monday, August 14, 2023 (part 3)
Finally Making Our Way to the Contemporary! - Monday, August 14, 2023 (part 4)
Finishing Lunch and Enjoying the Contemporary! - Monday, August 14, 2023 (part 5)
Riding Tron One More Time! - Monday, August 14, 2023 (part 6)
Room Tour! - Monday, August 14, 2023 (part 7)

Room Tour Continued - Monday August 14, 2023 (part 8)
Dinner at Epcot - Monday, August 14, 2023 (part 9)
Epcot Forever! - Monday, August 14, 2023 (part 10)
Meeting Rey! - Monday, August 14, 2023 (part 11)

Magic Kingdom Morning! - Tuesday, August 15, 2023 (part 1)
Magic Kingdom Afternoon! - Tuesday, August 15, 2023 (part 2)
How Much Ice Cream Can We Eat? - Tuesday, August 15, 2023 (part 3)
All the Photo Ops! - Tuesday, August 15, 2023 (part 4)

Tron during MNSSHP - Tuesday, August 15, 2023 (part 5)
Parade, Fireworks, and Would We Ever Meet Ariel and Prince Eric? - Tuesday, August 15, 2023 (part 6)
Trick or Treating! - Tuesday, August 15, 2023 (part 7)
MNSSHP Wrap Up - Tuesday, August 15, 2023 (part 8)

Universal Morning - Wednesday, August 16, 2023 (part 1)
Universal Afternoon! - Wednesday August 16, 2023 (part 2)
Rain Rain Go Away - Wednesday, August 16, 2023 (part 3)
Too Much Garlic?! - Wednesday, August 16, 2023 (part 4)

All the Boat Rides! - Wednesday, August 16, 2023 (part 5)
Magic Kingdom Nighttime - Wednesday, August 16, 2023 (part 6)
Good Night! - Wednesday, August 16, 2023 (part 7)

Animal Kingdom Field Trip - Thursday August 17, 2023 (part 1)
Disney Springs Morning - Thursday, August 17, 2023 (part 2)
All the Mickeys! - Thursday, August 17, 2023 (part 3)
Space 220 Lounge Dinner - Thursday August 17, 2023 (part 4)
Epcot Pre-After Hours - Thursday August 17, 2023 (part 5)

How Many Times Can We Ride Guardians? - Thursday August 17, 2023 (part 6)
Not as Many Times as You'd Think/Hope - Thursday, August 17, 2023 (part 7)

Searching (in vain for Lorcana) - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 1)
Trying to be a Galactic Hero - Friday August 18 2023 (part 2)
Early Bird Gets All the Rides? - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 3)

Magic Kingdom Morning with Trevor - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 4)
Skipper Canteen Lunch - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 5)
Skipper Canteen Theming! - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 6)
Checking in to MNSSHP - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 7)
First Aid Center Rocks! - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 8)
Tron and Photo Ops! - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 9)
How Many Pictures of the Haunted Mansion Can One Post Have? - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 10)
Mickey's Boo to You! - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 11)
MNSSHP Fireworks! - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 12)
Trick or Treating! - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 13)
Pirates and Main Street Photos! - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 14)
MK to Contemporary via Monorail! - Friday, August 18, 2023 (part 15)

Animal Kingdom morning! - Saturday, August 19, 2023 (part 1)
Trevor found a hat! - Saturday August 19, 2023 (part 2)
Flight of Passage and Nomad Lounge - Saturday, August 19, 2023 (part 3)
Can We Ride Dinosaur? - Saturday, August 19, 2023 (part 4)
Fireworks from California Grill - Saturday, August 19, 2023 (part 5)

How to get to Brunch - Sunday, August 20, 2023 (part 1)

Breakfast at Topolino's Terrace - Sunday August 20, 2023 (part 2)
Riviera Views and Art - Sunday August 20, 2023 (part 3)
Surprise Character Meet! - Sunday August 20, 2023 (part 4)
Raspberry Soda - Sunday August 20, 2023 (part 5)
Exploring the Grand Floridian - Sunday August 20, 2023 (part 6)
Brand New Meal at Grand Floridian - Sunday August 20, 2023 (part 7)

Dinner at Citricos - Sunday August 20, 2023 (part 8)
Vibrating with Excitement for Happily Ever After - Sunday August 20, 2023 (part 9)
Speed Run Tron and SDMT - Sunday August 20, 2023 (part 10)

Last Morning - Monday, August 21, 2023 (part 1)
Magic Kingdom Meanderings - Monday, August 21, 2023 (part 2)
How Many Rides Can We Do Before We Have to Go? - Monday, August 21, 2023 (part 3)
Back Home! - Monday, August 21, 2023 (part 4)

Final Haul and Epic Fun with Metrics - Monday, August 21, 2023 (part 4) and WrapUp

Last edited:

Hi Tiffany!

HOORAY, I was so excited when I saw this trip report! I just finished your January 2023 TR and LOVED it - I really appreciated all your details about Genie+ and shortcuts of where to stand in the pre-shows to beat the crowd into the ride. I’m going back to Disney World with my family for the first time in eight years (too long!) and feel like I have a ton to catch up on.

Also, I’m excited to see how many thrill rides Trevor enjoys this time! I was impressed that not only did you get him to try the rides (go, you!) but that he enjoyed them (go, him!).

Onto this trip…

Why yes, of course you need to add additional Disney days (what a fantastic rate for the Contemporary!). I also agree it makes so much sense to add in the weekend days, too - I look forward to seeing what you thought about AoA.

Last edited:
Ooooh following! I'd LOVE more information on the course you attended.... we go to one every February that's hosted at Coronado Springs but I'm super interested in this one!! Could you send me a link???

Welcome to everyone! I'm going to apologize in advance, there are going to be soooooooo many posts because I have a hard time not sharing a bajillion pictures and I can only put 10 photos in a post.

Departure Day! - Saturday August 12, 2023

With Trevor and me being on separate flights, the departure was gonna be a bit interesting. My flight left at 10:20, while Trevor's left at 11:35 am - it's the closest match we could get between American (me) and Southwest (Trevor). We grabbed an uber at about 8 am, and were at the airport at 8:30 - yay for no traffic! Always exciting when that happens in the DC area. :)
We dropped the bags off at Southwest and then Trevor walked me over to the other terminal so I could check in for my flight. As we walked over (it's a bit of a walk from one terminal to the other), Trevor saw this sign and thought it was funny that this was apparently such a problem they had a permanent sign:
PXL_20230812_124950568.jpg
Feeding of birds is prohibited! Keep that in mind if you're ever at the DCA airport.

We'd gotten TSA precheck earlier this year, and can I just say precheck is AMAZING?! So nice to not have to take off shoes or pull out liquids or anything - highly recommend. Just breezed right through.
Boarding went smoothly - Trevor and I were texting back and forth (taking advantage of that free wifi for texting!), and he sent me this:

PXL_20230812_151947058.jpg
He got lucky with the exit row with tons of leg row - a good omen!

I texted him this:
IMG_3213.JPG
1. dunkaroos are awesome but 2. look at how it puffed up! Gotta love the air pressure changes. Trevor's picture is better, but I figured I had to send him something. :)

When I landed, Trevor was still about an hour out, so I took the monorail over to the main terminal at MCO to wait for him.
IMG_3218.JPG
Monoraaaaaaaaail! Also look at those gorgeous fluffy clouds.

I was on the side of the main terminal we don't usually come in on (whatever side Southwest doesn't use) so I got to see this fun photo op by the Universal store.
IMG_3222.JPG
Beware the raptors!

I also looked around in the Disney store for a bit (didn't buy anything, which I gotta say - A+ to me), and then got food.
IMG_3223.JPG
Yay Panda Express! I dunno why but for whatever reason Panda just hits the spot.

I also got some food for Trevor and headed back to the area right outside security to wait for him. Pretty soon, there he was!
IMG_3225.JPG
I actually saw him coming a little bit in advance cause he had an airtag in his carry on (in case we needed to check it later) so I definitely wasn't being creepy and seeing his airtag on the app. :D

We headed down to baggage claim, picked up our bags, and by 3 pm we were in an uber heading to Disney! It was *super* hot and humid...that didn't bode well! But soon enough, we were passing under this sign:
PXL_20230812_192333412.jpg
Kudos to Trevor for a decent sign capture!

And then we were pulling into our hotel!
IMG_3229.JPG
We got asked at the gate for our name and they checked to see that we were checking in - that was the first time I've ever had that happen in an uber at Disney! I guess they're cracking down, at least at certain resorts?

I was really excited to stay at Art of Animation and check another hotel off our list. Also staying at a Skyliner resort for the first time since it opened. :) I'd heard so many good things about Art of Animation, so couldn't wait to see it in person.

We dropped our bags off at bell services, and headed inside to check in. Look at that gorgeous lobby!
IMG_3233.JPG
I love all those drawings - such a fun touch.

We'd booked a Little Mermaid room; I was kind of hoping we'd get upgraded to a room closer to the lobby/main building but no luck. In fact we got one of the absolute furthest rooms you could possibly get. Oh well! Just meant we'd *have * to explore the resort and see the theming, cause we had to walk past it all to get to our room, right? :)

But we weren't heading there first - it was 3:35 and we had places to be! Where were we heading?

Cliffhanger! Tune in next time to see :)

Following! Nice you could combine a work class with vacation time!
:welcome:Not gonna lie...I may have been looking for a class at the place I wanted to vacation! :)

Looking forward to reading!
:welcome: Thanks for joining in!

Looking forward to another one of your trip reports.
:welcome: Thanks for reading!

Following-excited to hear how the trip went!!
:welcome: Thanks for joining in!

subscribing to your adventure...
:welcome:Thanks for following!

Great start! Looking forward to more!
:welcome: Thanks for reading!

Hi Tiffany!

HOORAY, I was so excited when I saw this trip report! I just finished your January 2023 TR and LOVED it - I really appreciated all your details about Genie+ and shortcuts of where to stand in the pre-shows to beat the crowd into the ride. I’m going back to Disney World with my family for the first time in eight years (too long!) and feel like I have a ton to catch up on.

Also, I’m excited to see how many thrill rides Trevor enjoys this time! I was impressed that not only did you get him to try the rides (go, you!) but that he enjoyed them (go, him!).

Onto this trip…

Why yes, of course you need to add additional Disney days (what a fantastic rate for the Contemporary!). I also agree it makes so much sense to add in the weekend days, too - I look forward to seeing what you thought about AoA.
:welcome: Hi! So glad you enjoyed my other TR - and so exciting that you get to go back!! Trevor did several thrill rides this trip - including one without me! Also glad you understand the need to add extra days -Disney math, am I right? :)

Ooooh following! I'd LOVE more information on the course you attended.... we go to one every February that's hosted at Coronado Springs but I'm super interested in this one!! Could you send me a link???

Just kidding I found it! Can't wait to read more!! :)
:welcome: Awesome, glad you found it! Just in case- Disney Institute is the website, and this is the specific course i took: https://www.disneyinstitute.com/disneys-approach-leadership-excellence/

:welcome:

Shopping and Treats! - Monday Aug 12 2023 (part 2)

We were heading to the Disney outlets! I always like to start our trips with a trip to the outlets if possible, partially cause I love both Disney tchotchkes as well as a deal, and partially cause some of the things in the outlet are still being sold at full-price in the parks and I *hate* paying full price when I could have gotten things on sale. :)

Our uber came pretty quickly and we were at the outlets by about 3:45 pm. But then we encountered this:
IMG_3234.JPG
A line to get into the outlet! Boo.

Thankfully it wasn't too long of a wait - about 10 minutes. At least it was shady! And inside we had great fun looking around - we didn't end up buying a ton through. Got a pin, a couple Haunted Mansion shirts, a Star Wars bag and hat for Trevor, and some Snow White Flower and Garden festival coasters. A decent trip!

From there, we headed over to Disney Springs! We needed treats and had a dinner reservation at Wine Bar George, so off we went to eat all the things!

When we got there (at about 5 pm), we decided Trevor would head over to Gideon's and put his name on the virtual queue list, while I would look around in the art shop there by where the ubers drop off (by the Christmas shop and Rainforest Cafe). But I had a text from Trevor pretty soon afterwards saying that there was no virtual queue, and they were quoting him a 10/15 minute wait! So I quickly bought the art postcards I was looking at (my first use of my AP discount!!) and hurried over to Gideons!

This was the line when I got there:
IMG_3237.JPG
There's Trevor in the middle wearing his hat! Not too bad of a line, especially on a Saturday night! It ended up being about 20 minutes, but pretty soon we were in the store, smelling those delicious cookies and cakes...
IMG_3238.JPG
The special cookie was Key Lime pie! I don't like Key Lime pie, but we had to at least try it.

IMG_3239.JPG
Red Velvet cake!

IMG_3240.JPG
Chocolate churro cake!

We went just a *little* bit crazy:
--9 Cookies and Cream cookies (our favorite)
--2 banana bread chocolate chip cookies
--1 key lime cookie
--1 traditional chocolate chip
--one of each slice of cake
--a bag of cookie bites (chocolate covered...yum!)
--1 buttercream dip
and an insulated bag to keep it all cool. :) We take the cookies home and freeze them...they're all sitting in our freezer right now, for when we need a little Disney treat. :)

We got done at 5:50 and our dinner reservation was at 6, but I was a bit crazy and was like "hey, the Ganachery is just around the corner, let's duck in and get the treats there that I wanted!"
IMG_3241.JPG
I wanted these princess bars, for world princess week. They're still in the fridge! But so pretty.......

Also, I saw the ad for these Haunted Mansion chocolates...i couldn't say no!
IMG_3242.JPG

I thought about getting this Indiana Jones chocolate pinata but decided against it.
IMG_3244.JPG
Isn't it so cute?

We did get this head of the scepter of Ra or whatever that thing is from Indiana Jones though.
IMG_3245.JPG

Seriously I love all the Ganachery stuff - it's so creative and so good!

I know we were heading right over to dinner, but I saw they were also selling their chocolate chillers and I was SO HOT and it sounded SO GOOD, so we got it. :)
IMG_3246.JPG
Yum. :)

And then it was time to head over to Wine Bar George for dinner!

Dinner at Wine Bar George! - Saturday August 12, 2023 (part 3)

We got checked in and seated pretty immediately. Normally when we eat at Wine Bar George we like to eat upstairs on the balcony, but it was just too bonkers hot for that, so we didn't ask. So just taking the luck of the draw, we got seated upstairs, right by the balcony but indoors. Huzzah! As close to the normal seat we like to get as possible, just with air conditioning. Which was sorely needed..so bonkers hot!

The server was awesome and immediately brought us ice water, which we may or may not have chugged... :) We also ordered two of their non-alcoholic drinks:
IMG_3249.JPG
Cherry Smash (Cherry, lime, soda) - I think I got this one, but really we both drank both. This was yummy.

IMG_3250.JPG
Then the Orgeat Lemonade. We may or may not have had to google what orgeat was - a syrup that tastes like almond (saved you a google. :) ). This was really good - it was smooth, with the sweetness of the almond taking some of the edge/tartness off the lemon. Delish.

Then food! We tend to get lots of appetizers to split at Wine Bar George cause the food is just so good, and this was no exception.
IMG_3251.JPG
We started with Zucchini Hush Puppies,
IMG_3252.JPG
with a "preserved lemon remoulade". This was...interesting. Not our favorite entree, though the lemon remoulade was good. Worth trying but we probably won't add it to our rotation.
IMG_3253.JPG
Slightly disconcerting to see bright green in the hush puppies! :)

IMG_3254.JPG
Trevor then got the Snapper Crudo with miso and mushroom broth, cucumber pearls, and scallion oil. He said it was good...i didn't want to try it cause fish. Gross. :)

I did get the burrata though!
IMG_3255.JPG
Dicuru Burrata - tomatoes, corn, and served on sourdough bread. This was so light and fresh - absolutely yummy. Trevor has a thing about cheese ('cause he's weird) so he didn't try it, but yum.

Then we probably should have stopped, but we decided to get the strip steak and split it.
IMG_3256.JPG
This was slightly disappointing - the cut of steak was a bit fatty and weird. But the good bites were absolutely delicious and the white puree there is parsnips, which paired REALLY well with the steak.

Overall, another delicious meal at Wine Bar George. It's definitely our favorite restaurant - we highly recommend it, even for non-drinkers!

After dinner, we continued on our Disney Springs rounds. We first stopped by the Ticket Center there to get our AP cards or activated or whathaveyou, which didn't take too long. Then I wanted to stop by the Ever After Jewelry company to look at the bags and such, and ended up getting sucked in and buying one of the purple Joey Chou Dooney and Burke bags. I mean, it got 20% off, so how could I not?! Trevor was looking at the Citizen watches, and almost ended up getting one but ended up staying strong. :)

After that, it was about 7:45, and Trevor reminded me that it would be sunset at about 8, and Gideon's had their evening exclusive: Dark Coffee Cake! We ended up loving the coffee cake cookie we'd tried back in January, so Trevor (and me, let's be real :)) wanted to try this evening cookie, so we decided to divide and conquer. Trevor headed back to Gideon's to get in line, and I kept going to Amorette's.

I got the adorable Rapunzel petite cake:
IMG_3259.JPG
Layers of Confetti Cake, vanilla mousse, and italian buttercream. Aren't these cakes just so cute? I love it!

Then I ducked into World of Disney to look around while Trevor was still waiting for cookies at Gideon's. It was crazy crowded and definitely overwhelming, so I didn't spend very much time there. I did see this cute Peter Pan sweatshirt but didn't end up picking it up.
IMG_3260.JPG
I love that art style!

In the meantime Trevor got dark coffee cake cookies from Gideon's - huzzah! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter