Completely dissappointed with BWV

Well, I couldn't find much on the subject. Most of the threads that I read were a couple of years ago (search only goes back about a year). But, here's one thread that discusses it....although, what they are saying is slightly different from what I had heard before....they seem to know what they are talking about.

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=931374&highlight=moderate

:wave:

Beca

Beca said:
Yes...sorry I didn't make myself clear. From what people are saying on the resorts board (I don't know any of this first hand), WL was originally designed to be a moderate. Somewhere in the design phase (too far in to actually enlarge the rooms) it was "bumped" to a deluxe. I am not sure whether the "buzz" surrounding the resort changed it, or if WDW just had a change of heart.

I will search for some of those threads (they are pretty old). If I find any, I will post the links here.

Beca

We stayed at WL right after it first opened and it was classified as a moderate at that time. It took Disney a couple of years to figure out that they could just change the catagory to a deluxe and make a few extra $'s due to the popularity.

Even before VWL opened, WL was in a lower category for DVC exchanges than GF & YC/BC. And many publications over the years have also categorized it in a lower category including AAA and the Unofficial Guide. The rooms are a bit smaller and there are some services that are not offered compared to others. It's still a very nice resort and non of this takes away from that and if those services not offered don't matter to you, who cares. I'd still categorize it as a Deluxe in general terms but I think some are more "Deluxe" than others.

DVCPAT said:
You think the size of a resort correlates with the rack rate? With that logic, I guess the VWL should be the most expensive. It’s very clear, Disney doesn’t think they can rent rooms if they ask the same price as BWV. I agree with them for a number of reasons.

SSR is selling for the highest point price due to the success of its predecessors. If you look at the resale prices for SSR, the price is not higher. It is lower even with the 50 year time frame.

SSR is now Disney's flagship DVC resort. They are putting much effort into promoting that. I beg to diffrer that the rake rate suggests anything different than supply and demand with it having many more rooms than the smaller resorts.
Also resales are not going to go above Disney's current sales price new and if you add the current incentives it would be crazy to buy SSR resale so the price has to reflect that especially when you factor in broker fees. WHo would buy SSR resale at above Disney's "new" rate?

3DisneyNUTS said:
SSR is now Disney's flagship DVC resort. They are putting much effort into promoting that.

I'm just curious....where did you see any DVC promotional materials saying that SSR is their flagship resort? I looked at buying into SSR before deciding elsewhere, and nowhere in the promotional materials did I see that (but, things could've changed since I purchased....SSR wasn't open yet when I bought).

I just question this because I thought DVC was working very hard to make all DVC resorts seem to be on a par with one another. I thought it was DVC's policy to make them all seem more or less equal.

I also find it odd that DVC would consider it their flagship resort, and charge fewer points per night for rooms (when compared to VWL, BCV and BWV). Doesn't WDW charge more for the Grand Floridian (it's flagship) than for other resorts?

Beca

I've had all the same experiences as the original poster. I went one August with another family and we checked in at different times. We both specifically asked to be "close" to one another. We were on the same floor but as far away from each other as possible. Down different hallways :guilty:

And I've seen room service dishes in the hallways for long periods of time. :guilty:

But I still love BWV. :)

3DisneyNUTS said:
SSR is now Disney's flagship DVC resort. They are putting much effort into promoting that. I beg to diffrer that the rake rate suggests anything different than supply and demand with it having many more rooms than the smaller resorts.
Also resales are not going to go above Disney's current sales price new and if you add the current incentives it would be crazy to buy SSR resale so the price has to reflect that especially when you factor in broker fees. WHo would buy SSR resale at above Disney's "new" rate?

I agree with you…Disney does adjust the rental price on supply and demand. I think Disney has done extensive research and found most people who visit WDW see Downtown Disney as a side attraction. I really like Downtown Disney but when I ask people who recently return from a WDW vacation, they don’t visit the area.

The Epcot/MGM corridor attracts many more people. Disney can set a higher price for a premium location. I don’t think you would ever see a 100% DVC resort in the premium areas. Disney wants to keep a portion of the resort so they can profit for years to come.

Have booked to stay 4 night in BWV next Aug. Travelling with my 11 year old son who loves Epcot and the BWV resort pictures look lovely, so felt like a good place to stay .Looking forward to being able to walk to 2 park. will have to do the bus to DTD and AKL but hopefully it will be fine.best wishes, Ruth

We just returned from 7 nights in a 2BR at the BWV and the only thing I can really agree with the OP on is the disgraceful bus service. It has always been the big issue for me with the BWV's and for the life of me, I can't figure out why they don't fix it.

That said, the BWV continues to be our favorite resort for many reasons that I have stated over and over in the past.

HBC

Beca said:
I'm just curious....where did you see any DVC promotional materials saying that SSR is their flagship resort? I looked at buying into SSR before deciding elsewhere, and nowhere in the promotional materials did I see that (but, things could've changed since I purchased....SSR wasn't open yet when I bought).

I just question this because I thought DVC was working very hard to make all DVC resorts seem to be on a par with one another. I thought it was DVC's policy to make them all seem more or less equal.

I also find it odd that DVC would consider it their flagship resort, and charge fewer points per night for rooms (when compared to VWL, BCV and BWV). Doesn't WDW charge more for the Grand Floridian (it's flagship) than for other resorts?

Beca

AFter I purchased and I cannot remember what trip I had a lengthy discussion with a DVC rep. He told me that DVC is promoting SSR as such. I would assume that is until they sell out. It makes sense though. They tour there and they only offer that as your buy in resort.

Lora said:
I've stayed at the end of the hall many times and I actually like it. If you can do stairs, you just go down the stairs, out the door and you're at the bus stop. Also - you can go down the same stairs and out to the quiet pool to the MGM path. I don't find the walk to the room that long really. At least the walk is indoors if it's a rainy day.
This won't work if you have a stroller to lug up and down stairs. We tried it once. The next time we took our 5 mile treck down the hall to the elevator instead.

3DisneyNUTS said:
AFter I purchased and I cannot remember what trip I had a lengthy discussion with a DVC rep. He told me that DVC is promoting SSR as such. I would assume that is until they sell out. It makes sense though. They tour there and they only offer that as your buy in resort.

Maybe so....but, if you think they are promoting SSR as such....just WAIT until they get their hands on the Contemporary!! That will be the "All-Time" flagship resort. Of course, I do NOT like the theming of that resort....what to do??...add-on there or BCV? I guess first I would need to talk DH into it, huh!!

Beca

I fail to understand why anyone would put much emphasis on what the sales staff say. While one may be able to gather good gossip from them, they are not a source of authority in any way. Their job is simply to sell timeshares. Hopefully the DVC way which is fair, honest and low pressure; but sell non the less.

It seems like all the “disappointment” threads start with not getting a particular room request granted. The vacation seems to go downhill after that. Beds appear smaller, the sun stops shinning and then a bug runs across the floor.

It’s good to plan on the activities you can control. Each resort has something unique to offer and it’s a wasted vacation if you look for things the resort doesn’t offer.

DVCPAT said:
It seems like all the “disappointment” threads start with not getting a particular room request granted. The vacation seems to go downhill after that.

Oh how true :sad2:

Dean said:
I fail to understand why anyone would put much emphasis on what the sales staff say. While one may be able to gather good gossip from them, they are not a source of authority in any way. Their job is simply to sell timeshares. Hopefully the DVC way which is fair, honest and low pressure; but sell non the less.

We were already members though. It isn't like he would make cash of of us KWIM? He knew we had purchased so it wasn't like he was trying to book a tour. We were just talking and I asked about a restaurant and he went into all his goosip about what is upcoming and etc.

DVCPAT said:
It seems like all the “disappointment” threads start with not getting a particular room request granted. The vacation seems to go downhill after that. Beds appear smaller, the sun stops shinning and then a bug runs across the floor.

It’s good to plan on the activities you can control. Each resort has something unique to offer and it’s a wasted vacation if you look for things the resort doesn’t offer.

Yeah the bus situation and the plates on the floor take away the magic. Did I love the room location no BUT I didn't try and change it because we lived with it. It honestly would not have been a big deal but combine it with the other things and that is where the magic was lost. What made it worse was walking past dishes that laid for hours. We just came off the Disney Cruise and you would pass room service dishes on the floor late at night but your next trip past they were gone. To go from that and seeing the same plate of eaten chicken wings on the floor for 5 hours or passing by someones breakfast plates in the afternoon is unacceptable.

THANKFULLY I got the BWV survey card in the mail yesterday. So right after I type this I am off to do my survey. If they take them seriously than maybe the management will pay attention to detail more.

BEACHCLUBVILLAS said:
I stayed at WL when it first opened and it was a deluxe then. Are you saying while it was under construction they thought it would be a moderate but once it opened they opened as a deluxe or that it opened as a moderate and later was upgraded to deluxe? I thought one of the things that separated a moderate from deluxe is Queen vs double beds and food courts. WL has queens and no food court, just a snack bar like the other deluxes. This is the first I've heard that it was originally a moderate.

I have read this in a guide book. Maybe Unofficial or Fromer's Walt Disney world with kids??? Anyway, WL was going to be a moderate resort. The standard rooms only sleep 4 not 5 like all the other Deluxe resorts at the time. WL and AKL are the only deluxe resorts that sleep 4 instead of 5-no day bed and slightly smaller rooms. Plus, not on the monorail or Epcot location. I think it's the amazing themeing that makes these resorts so lovely and popular. The book said something about how Disney changed WL to a Deluxe because of it's buzz/popularity but it's still less of a rack rate than say BWI or the other deluxes.

3DisneyNUTS said:

I'm not sure I agree with the "flagship" resort thing. If that were true why is it less points to stay at SSR than BWI, BC, VWL? As someone pointed out, the GF IS Disney's flagship resort and it costs more to stay there than the POLY, YC, or any other deluxe resort. I'm not talking about resale or buy in price at SSR, just the number of points SSR costs per night. I don't buy the supply and demand thing. Are you saying if the GF was larger, Disney would have to charge less per night to stay there?? It just doesn't make sense :confused3 . While I think SSR is very pretty, it does not have direct park access or a large number of dining choices. There is no room service, etc. and other things one would expect to find at a "flagship" resort, at least by Disney standards. It doesn't get treated by guide books as a flagship resort either. I am not bashing SSR, just disagreeing with what that CM/guide/captain/driver said.

I believe DVC and Disney would promote ANY DVC resort they are currently selling, very heavily. I remember the promotion for BCV during one trip in particular. I wish we had bought then!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter