Concerned BWV Owner

Is this something that would make you think twice about being an owner if you had to do it over? This is my main sticking point with becoming an owner--lack of flexibility. I agree that when a person goes to the presentation, nothing is mentioned about it being difficult to get reservations at other resorts at the 7 month window. I have done the day by day thing trying to get an AP rate and I swore I wouldn't do it again. I have resigned myself that I will be booking at AKV at the 11 month mark and then if we decide to try for a different resort at 7 months, I will just waitlist the entire reservation rather than calling on a daily basis to make a reservation. The more I hear about lack of reservations available and people trying to be waitlisted and switching resorts because they couldn't get all of the days they wanted is making me think twice about buying in.

Rachel:earsboy: :earsgirl: :earsboy: :earsgirl:

I think this depends on how flexible you expect the program to be and how flexible you are willing to be.

It really isn't a big deal to switch resorts at seven months - if you don't need something in high demand (like standard view rooms during F&W) and if you can be flexible about it (i.e. you want to try a "different resort" this next trip, but don't care if its VWL or OKW or BCV - and you can go either the first or second week in June and are willing to waitlist). There are LOTS of people who have been happy with availability at non-home resorts and wonder what the big deal is.

Where DVC becomes less flexible is when you expect to get what you want, when you want it and you'll be disappointed if it isn't available. DVC isn't good for that - and the closer to are to your trip, it gets MUCH worse. Until there is some point where you can get day one at SSR and day two over at OKW and then have a day where you need a CRO room.....DVC operates at nearly full occupancy nearly all the time - if you can't make your reservations early, you get what is left over - if anything is when you travel.

The best advice I have is "buy where you won't be disappointed to end up." If your heart is set on staying every other early December at VWL, buy points to do that and plan 7+ (and probably 10+) months in advance. If you think that BWV is the perfect place to enjoy F&W from, buy points there. If you say "gee, we don't really care as long as we are at Disney - we'd like to try all the resorts, but don't care if we try VWL in July and BWV in March" buy whatever resort appeals to you most, where you won't be disappointed if you end up there - maybe you'll decide to try and get lucky with VWL in December or BWV during F&W - people do get lucky with these reservations every year.

If you want the ultimate flexibility of staying where you want to stay when you want to stay, don't buy a timeshare.

We go in September and own at BWV. I called on 2/17 and was able to get a standard studio for 2 nights and a BW view for 7, within the 7 month window.

The MS rep said I could have had a standard for the whole trip if I wanted it. :confused3

Last year, I booked a pref studio at BWV for a week in Sept in July.

And yesterday, I called to get a 2 BR BW View for next February with no problem.

Maybe we just go at weird times or are lucky, but this has been our experience. :)

I think that some of us are attracted to the idea of trying new resorts every visit, and some of us are more interested in staying at their home resort all the time.

DH and I are members of the former group, OP, you are probably in the latter.

Its never easy to please all of the people all of the time, even for Disney! :wizard:

I suppose, however, that if you are interested in trying all the resorts, like we are, that you are less likely to be disappointed.

We purchased at SSR in '05 and at the 7 month window, we wanted to get a ressie for VWL for a 1BR in early December. (We weren't yet aware that this is a very popular time for DVCers!) So, we weren't able to get VWL on waitlist-no big deal!

We stayed at SSR and it was great!

Last November, we wanted OKW so we could use fewer points for a 2BR. No surprise; we had no problem at 7 month window.

This November, we want to try something new again! Going to try for either BCV or BWV...may be difficult...its the last week of F&WF, but, we also have a "Plan C"...VWL!! And someday, we will hopefully try VAKL!

Our decision to book at non-home resorts is not because we don't like SSR! Its because we have the itch to try new things!

Perhaps a lot of newer members think the way we do?

Kathy :grouphug:

I think this depends on how flexible you expect the program to be and how flexible you are willing to be.

It really isn't a big deal to switch resorts at seven months - if you don't need something in high demand (like standard view rooms during F&W) and if you can be flexible about it (i.e. you want to try a "different resort" this next trip, but don't care if its VWL or OKW or BCV - and you can go either the first or second week in June and are willing to waitlist). There are LOTS of people who have been happy with availability at non-home resorts and wonder what the big deal is.

Where DVC becomes less flexible is when you expect to get what you want, when you want it and you'll be disappointed if it isn't available. DVC isn't good for that - and the closer to are to your trip, it gets MUCH worse. Until there is some point where you can get day one at SSR and day two over at OKW and then have a day where you need a CRO room.....DVC operates at nearly full occupancy nearly all the time - if you can't make your reservations early, you get what is left over - if anything is when you travel.

The best advice I have is "buy where you won't be disappointed to end up." If your heart is set on staying every other early December at VWL, buy points to do that and plan 7+ (and probably 10+) months in advance. If you think that BWV is the perfect place to enjoy F&W from, buy points there. If you say "gee, we don't really care as long as we are at Disney - we'd like to try all the resorts, but don't care if we try VWL in July and BWV in March" buy whatever resort appeals to you most, where you won't be disappointed if you end up there - maybe you'll decide to try and get lucky with VWL in December or BWV during F&W - people do get lucky with these reservations every year.

If you want the ultimate flexibility of staying where you want to stay when you want to stay, don't buy a timeshare.

Like I said, we are completely happy with SSR, and we have no desire to even stay at any of the other resorts because we love ours so much. I'm glad that we had to stay in our resort to see how much we love it, because to be quite honest, we didn't when we looked around and bought. I thought it was beautiful, but it held no appeal. We now feel differently.

However, I called at exactly the 7 month timeframe to get a studio, any kind of studio, at both Boardwalk and Beach club. Nothing. Was put on a waitlist and nothing. And, you know, that is fine. I had a reservation. I just wish that they wouldn't sell it to people that it's flexible and you can stay wherever, because it was a selling point. The part about it that really, really irks me, though, is that I am a member. And, if a person wants to pay cash, they can pay cash for that room before I have the option of using my points. If there is a problem with members getting rooms at any of the resorts, they shouldn't be selling them for cash. I don't think those rooms should be open to the general public until about four months out.

Yup, 150,000 new SSR owners trying to book at the other resorts. :laughing:

It still doesn't affect the other resort owners because they can't book until the 7 month window.

I have never had trouble booking unless I'm trying to plan a last minute trip. I typically go the same months every year and just plan ahead. Therefore -- no issues!! I :love: BWV!!!

Chuck makes a good point. We did day by day for the first time for early December 2007. It is a non peak time as far as the parks, but very popular with the DVC folks. Calling day by day was easy and I got what we wanted (one bedroom boardwalk view) for all our days.

This is what I did for the Thanksgiving holiday for a 1bd standard. It's a bit of a pain but worth it to get the dates that I wanted.

Thanks for the responses on whether "lack of flexibilty" is a problem. We would buy into AKV because that is where we would always be happy staying. There is some appeal to trying other resorts, especially BWV and BCV. My concern came when I would read about people who tried to book and couldn't or they were calling day by day and if they couldn't get all of their days, then they were switching resorts during their vacation. Switching resorts is not something we would want to do. I know others have no problem with that. I would always try to book as far out as possible and would have some flexibilty, but there are a couple of resorts we wouldn't be thrilled with. In that case, we would stay at AKV(with my 11 month ressie). The only area where I wouldn't be flexible is if they only had a 2br and I only wanted a studio. I wouldn't be willing to use the extra points just to go. We would look at going at a different time when more room sizes were available.

We have no interest in buying another timeshare. Our only interest is DVC, so I'm not comparing DVC to any other timeshare. I'm not trying to suggest that disney is lacking when compared to other vacation plans.

I think the biggest thing for us is to know the "ins and outs" of owning. I know my guide said that if we didn't want our home resort than just call and book another one at 7 months. She definately made it sound like it's never a problem. Well, there are some times when it isn't that easy. That's okay, I just want to be aware of it beforehand rather than to be upset after the fact because I can't get into VWL in early Dec. I'm glad for all of the info on this board so that an informed decision can be made. Thanks!

Rachel

The part about it that really, really irks me, though, is that I am a member. And, if a person wants to pay cash, they can pay cash for that room before I have the option of using my points. If there is a problem with members getting rooms at any of the resorts, they shouldn't be selling them for cash. I don't think those rooms should be open to the general public until about four months out.

The thing is, those rooms ARE being used by members. The member chose to trade the room in to take a cruise, trade out to an international resort, or whatever. For us as members to have the flexibilty to trade out of the Disney system and into other places, DVC needs to be able to get cash for those rooms in order to pay for the members cruise, or whatever they chose to do instaed of stay in a DVC room. Again, the owner is using the room on points, they are jsut not staying in it.

The thing is, those rooms ARE being used by members. The member chose to trade the room in to take a cruise, trade out to an international resort, or whatever. For us as members to have the flexibilty to trade out of the Disney system and into other places, DVC needs to be able to get cash for those rooms in order to pay for the members cruise, or whatever they chose to do instaed of stay in a DVC room. Again, the owner is using the room on points, they are jsut not staying in it.

And the less desireable they make those rooms for the general public (only available short notice, only available during slow seasons, never release BCV rooms) the less DVC can charge CRO for them and the more points they need to charge US for the trade. More points at slower seasons means MORE ROOMS are being taken over by CRO, meaning LESS availability for members.

Thanks for the responses on whether "lack of flexibilty" is a problem. We would buy into AKV because that is where we would always be happy staying. There is some appeal to trying other resorts, especially BWV and BCV. My concern came when I would read about people who tried to book and couldn't or they were calling day by day and if they couldn't get all of their days, then they were switching resorts during their vacation. Switching resorts is not something we would want to do. I know others have no problem with that. I would always try to book as far out as possible and would have some flexibilty, but there are a couple of resorts we wouldn't be thrilled with. In that case, we would stay at AKV(with my 11 month ressie). The only area where I wouldn't be flexible is if they only had a 2br and I only wanted a studio. I wouldn't be willing to use the extra points just to go. We would look at going at a different time when more room sizes were available.

We have no interest in buying another timeshare. Our only interest is DVC, so I'm not comparing DVC to any other timeshare. I'm not trying to suggest that disney is lacking when compared to other vacation plans.

I think the biggest thing for us is to know the "ins and outs" of owning. I know my guide said that if we didn't want our home resort than just call and book another one at 7 months. She definitely made it sound like it's never a problem. Well, there are some times when it isn't that easy. That's okay, I just want to be aware of it beforehand rather than to be upset after the fact because I can't get into VWL in early Dec. I'm glad for all of the info on this board so that an informed decision can be made. Thanks!

Rachel

As the previous posters said, if you are willing to accept anything you won't be disappointed. We didn't understand that when we joined. For the amount of money that we pay as members we expected a little more. We called for reservations at our home resort BCV at the 11 month mark, not day by day. We wanted a dedicated two bedroom. We didn't want to put the 89 year old mother or our DD who bought the membership with us on a fold out sofa. We got all of our dates but one in the middle. We wait listed for the missing day and reserved a sofa bed room at BCV as back up. Not real happy but we can live with it. Two months latter, I find out that MS canceled our back up room without telling us. They don't know why it was canceled. Now they tell me that we will need to move to a different resort for one day. :sad2: As I have said on other posts, the lack of service at MS is inexcusable. I have talked to several different CMs at MS. The all act as if they are new. They definitely need better quality control. :sad2:

As the previous posters said, if you are willing to accept anything you won't be disappointed. We didn't understand that when we joined. For the amount of money that we pay as members we expected a little more. We called for reservations at our home resort BCV at the 11 month mark, not day by day. We wanted a dedicated two bedroom. We didn't want to put the 89 year old mother or our DD who bought the membership with us on a fold out sofa. We got all of our dates but one in the middle. We wait listed for the missing day and reserved a sofa bed room at BCV as back up. Not real happy but we can live with it. Two months latter, I find out that MS canceled our back up room without telling us. They don't know why it was canceled. Now they tell me that we will need to move to a different resort for one day. :sad2: As I have said on other posts, the lack of service at MS is inexcusable. I have talked to several different CMs at MS. The all act as if they are new. They definitely need better quality control. :sad2:

I agree with you here. Most of my experience has been good with MS, but there have been way too many times that the CM didn't know the answer, gave me the wrong answer, or I found out messed up the reservation when I double checked the ressie a little while later. Since I am bit of a control/planning freak on vacation, I am constantly rechecking reservations and double checking what MS says and does, so I have never been screwed as a result. However, I shouldn't have to call back expecting there to be a problem that needs fixing, or call back just to speak with a CM who knows what they are talking about.

That said, I have also had great CM's who almost read my mind with what I wanted and get it right the first time, but its just too hit and miss.

While I understand the reality of availability and flexibility these days, my burn also comes when DVC continues to sell the 7-month window like its a guaranteed thing, especially when the imbalance of resort availability has been so obvious since SSR came on-line. But I'll stop here as not to beat a dead horse some more.

BTW, mods, can we get a smile/icon beating a dead horse? It may be in bad taste and PETA may try and shut down the site, but I really think it would get a lot of use!

I have always had a good experience with MS. They have always been friendly, knowledgeable, and helpful.
Further more, I've always got what I wanted when booking 11 months out.

Maybe I'm just lucky, but you can put me in the "happy Member" camp! :thumbsup2

MG

Don't get me wrong! I love my DVC. I just would like to book when I want to go, not just when the availablity is there. I will just have to stick to the 11 month window a little closer. Thanks for all your input, this is what makes the dis so great!!! We are excited about our stay @ WLV's in August!!!
:disrocks:

OKW owner here....most of our stays are at this resort.
However, I did stay at BWV once in '03 and had no problem getting a room at 60 days out.

Last summer, we checked on availability for Aug 11-17 and had choice of BWV, OKW or SSR. Went with OKW.

This past Oct '06, called at 45 days out and had choice of OKW, SSR, BWV and VWL. It was for Oct 3-8. We went with VWL. I was really suprised to find so much availability during Food & Wine, but I had pick of the crop except for BCV (which only had some of my nights). In 2004, we were unable to secure any availability for the first week of Nov---I was hoping for OKW---but nothing was available even calling day by day. I believe SSR had some availability but we wanted OKW. Nothing against SSR---were staying with other family members at OKW.

I enjoy the flexibility of DVC. Looking forward to a stay at VAK next year.

I agree with you here. Most of my experience has been good with MS, but there have been way too many times that the CM didn't know the answer, gave me the wrong answer, or I found out messed up the reservation when I double checked the ressie a little while later. Since I am bit of a control/planning freak on vacation, I am constantly rechecking reservations and double checking what MS says and does, so I have never been screwed as a result. However, I shouldn't have to call back expecting there to be a problem that needs fixing, or call back just to speak with a CM who knows what they are talking about.

That said, I have also had great CM's who almost read my mind with what I wanted and get it right the first time, but its just too hit and miss..........(snip).....
I pretty mujch agree with you -

I was thrilled to see the reservations posted on the members' website. Since they seem to appear in real time, I can "check up" on MS right after my call.

Not sure if the website reservations list the 2 BR dedicated w 2 queens for BCV, but they do tell me if SV or BW view was booked at the BWV. So I can also check every so often to make sure no one cancels something on me. And I don't have to call MS to check! Love it! Hope the "special category" reservations for BCV are available that way, too.

I was thrilled to see the reservations posted on the members' website. Since they seem to appear in real time, I can "check up" on MS right after my call.

Not sure if the website reservations list the 2 BR dedicated w 2 queens for BCV, but they do tell me if SV or BW view was booked at the BWV. So I can also check every so often to make sure no one cancels something on me. And I don't have to call MS to check! Love it! Hope the "special category" reservations for BCV are available that way, too.

Yes the web site lists the BCV 2 queens.

The web site is how I found out that MS had canceled our back up room reservation by mistake. I guess that I don't like the idea of having to check up on MS all the time to verify that things are as they should be.

My conformation for our May trip stated that we had requested smoking rooms when in fact we requested no smoking rooms. Just too many mistakes.

I wish that all of the requested information was verifiable on the web. :sad2:

Now they have to put the dates you're waitlisted for something on the website I've been kicked off the waitlist for no reason, so now everytime I call for any reason, I ask them to check to make sure I'm still waitlisted for whatever times. It's a waste of my time and theirs, but its really my only option the way the system currently stands.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter