Concert Cell Phone Ban

I'd prefer to be informed asap. But I realize that's not always possible. It's like flying. Phones have to be in airplane mode. You wouldn't find out about an emergency until you land, possibly several hours later. Even if phones could be used as phones, there still isn't anything you could do about the emergency until you land.
Well actually you can have wifi on when available. It's probably more the case that an emergency wouldn't be found out until landing but if you're using wifi you can still be contacted.

That isn't the same thing.
There was a time my dh's work didn't allow phones with cameras but of course that has changed. They realized that technology advances and you need to adapt. They don't ban phones, they just enforce their rules of no pictures. When he couldn't have his cell, I just called his office and if I couldn't reach him in an emergency I'd have to contact security too. Not a big deal, and even if security had to find him they weren't searching over 10,000+ seats to find him.
I don't see what happens at your job the same as a performer having customer's phones disabled during their concerts at all.
Actually the business doesn't take personal calls. You can contact security but it might take them a while. I get your point though.

But do people really go to actually SEE Beyonce or Jay-Z or do they go to SAY and post they were there?

I assume for most people, it is some of both. My girls were all over selfies with the stage behind them at Green Day, so the band's backdrop was visible. DD16 shared a couple of short clips on Snapchat too. She probably had the phone out for 20-30 min of an almost-3 hour show. Yes, "showing off" to her friends that she was there and had great seats (well, not really - front row/upper deck... far away but no one to block our view) was part of the fun. That doesn't means the music and the performance weren't the bulk of it. And while Billie Jo did say something at one point about enjoying the moment, not always watching through a phone, there were also show- and venue-specific Snapchat geo-filters so it isn't as though they were discouraging *all* social media sharing.

There were concerts long before there were cell phones. And people managed to get by for a couple hours during the show.

People managed to get by when contacting someone at a distance involved sending a letter and waiting days or weeks for a reply too, but that doesn't mean it would be an acceptable level of connectivity today. But expectations have changed as technology has changed, to the point where many people have personal and/or professional reasons not to be completely unreachable.

If the phones are stored in the pouches, you get to have your phone with you - in the pouch. So, conceivably, one would still be able to feel if the phone vibrates. Then you can go out, have it unlocked and respond to the call/text.

The problem with that, of course, is that there's no way to know what the text was. So it could be the sitter saying she's on the way to urgent care with one of the kids or your boss saying get to the office right now or else, or it could be Joann Fabrics sending a coupon for their super Saturday sale. And you have no way to know which unless you leave your seat, disturbing everyone else in your row, find an unlock station, and get access to your notifications (and, if it is nothing, disturb everyone around you again when returning to your seat). Hardly a good solution.

Well, I think the self-absorbed ones are those that feel they are so important they can't go without cell phone access for 2 hours. Follow the rules, or stay home...it's not complicated. Do people keep the their phones on and text during movies too? Or live theatre? In case there is an emergency that needs them? lol.

Text, no. But the phone is on, silenced and in 'do not disturb' mode so only calls/texts from known numbers will even trigger a notification, and I check the notification on my Fitbit to determine whether it is something I need to step out to deal with.

Dd16 is in Manhattan now with her friends, to go to a concert. I wouldn’t be happy if her phone was disabled, and I know she will be taking pictures, plus short videos (limited storage). The crowd will be young, so I doubt it will be an issue.

What you claimed originally:

Nobody could call you on most payphones. They'd still have needed to call the venue.

Then it's reasonable, when someone can't be reached on a cell phone [Because it's blocked or locked by the venue] after several tries, to call the venue.

Oh good grief! Really?

We were in a standing only venue. We were at the front of the crowd. Dd was shorter than everyone within the possibility of seeing that she had her phone in her hand. Do I know the height of every person in the room? No and it would be ridiculous to assume so. If someone standing 5 rows of standing bodies behind us was. shorter I don’t know because I wasn’t looking behind me.

Because of her height to everyone between us and the stage, two men allowed her to get in front of them and I moved up next to them which put her within one person of the stage. Behind me was a man and his wife who was having a grand time. He was holding her purse and was at least a foot taller than me much less dd.

Why are you so hung up on this? She videoed and took pictures. The venue didn’t care, Adam Lambert didn’t care and no one in the crowd cared. To be honest the folks around us seemed to enjoy the fact that her phone got his attention and had him hamming it up right in front of them and us. So, why exactly do you care?

People are so busy arguing the extremes (blocking the phone, cell phone bags) that they can't see the obvious answer. Just don't use your phone in a concert venue except for emergencies. Step out to answer a vibration, check your phone during intermission, etc. If even most of the people did that there would be no discussion about having to block phones. Even if some people were sneaking a quick picture or video on occasion, I doubt this would be an issue. The issue is the prevalence of cells in use in a venue - the idea that it is perfectly acceptable to have your phone out and lit up the whole time.

People are so busy arguing the extremes (blocking the phone. cell phone bags) that they can't see the obvious answer. Don't pull out your phone in a concert venue! Step out to answer a vibration, check your phone during intermission, etc. If people did that there would be no discussion about having to block phones.

Nope, my choice to check my phone when I want. I paid for my ticket and if I don't want to sit there listening to your show but instead I want to check my phone that is exactly what I will do. You want to disable my phone so I don't, then you won't get my money.
When someone starts paying me to watch them, I'll watch and leave my phone alone.

People are so busy arguing the extremes (blocking the phone, cell phone bags) that they can't see the obvious answer. Just don't use your phone in a concert venue except for emergencies. Step out to answer a vibration, check your phone during intermission, etc. If even most of the people did that there would be no discussion about having to block phones. Even if some people were sneaking a quick picture or video on occasion, I doubt this would be an issue. The issue is the prevalence of cells in use in a venue - the idea that it is perfectly acceptable to have your phone out and lit up the whole time.

Nope, my choice to check my phone when I want. I paid for my ticket and if I don't want to sit there listening to your show but instead I want to check my phone that is exactly what I will do. You want to disable my phone so I don't, then you won't get my money.
When someone starts paying me to watch them, I'll watch and leave my phone alone.

Then does that mean it's OK to use your phone in a dark movie theater, or on a plane when the "no electronics" light is on? After all, you're paying for those tickets too.

I just think there are situations where good manners trump personal whim.

Then does that mean it's OK to use your phone in a dark movie theater, or on a plane when the "no electronics" light is on? After all, you're paying for those tickets too.

I just think there are situations where good manners trump personal whim.

Well on a plane it isn't about courtesy so just a strawman argument.
Would I do it in a dark theater, no because I won't disrupt other customers.
If you think me checking a text, or going online at a concert is going to disrupt anyone then you and I just go to different kind of concerts. The ones I go to, nobody would even notice.

But this entire thread wouldn't be happening unless the venues discussing actions to curtail cell phone usage thought enough concertgoers ARE disrupted by cell phone use.
No, it’s because the performers have an issue with it. First post with links to the articles.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter