CONFIRMED Rumor: Disney World no longer transferring refrigerated goods between resorts

If you have medication that needs to be refrigerated, it doesn't seem smart to entrust this to anyone else. I think I'd take care of medications myself.

I agree, plus if you hand over potentially vital medication to Bell Services and it gets lost or mishandled it's far more of a problem then a gallon of milk and a couple of pots of yoghurt

Will they still hold refrigerated goods? For example if we have to checkout by 11 at one resort and can’t check in until 4 at the other can we leave it at first resort, go to the park and then pick it up at old resort before driving to the new resort?

Will they still hold refrigerated goods? For example if we have to checkout by 11 at one resort and can’t check in until 4 at the other can we leave it at first resort, go to the park and then pick it up at old resort before driving to the new resort?
I haven't seen anything official from Disney (not surprisingly) but I believe that yes, they'll store refrigerated and frozen items if you bring them to the resort yourself. They just won't take the responsibility to transport them from one resort to another.

Same as CarolynFH said, I have heard that the resorts will still take refrigerated goods from you or for example grocery delivery services and hold them for you.

So you could drive your refrigerated goods over to the new resort (via Rental Car or Uber/Lyft for example) drop them off and then head to the park. Depending on how much you have - it may be cheaper to throw it away (and probably buy a smaller carton to start with) and buy a new container of milk for example if that is all you need to replace though - as is usually the case in my situation.

If you have medication that needs to be refrigerated, it doesn't seem smart to entrust this to anyone else. I think I'd take care of medications myself.

As a former bell services cast member, this was something we'd have to (subtly) explain to the guests choosing to leave it with us. Not to mention that once it is loaded into the van, it can be several hours (in Florida temperatures, mind you) before it's placed in the next hotel's fridge.

While likely inconvenient when it comes to things like milk or other perishables (though not sure I'd want to drink milk after being out of the fridge for 3 hours...), this is a suitable change.

As a former bell services cast member, this was something we'd have to (subtly) explain to the guests choosing to leave it with us. Not to mention that once it is loaded into the van, it can be several hours (in Florida temperatures, mind you) before it's placed in the next hotel's fridge.

While likely inconvenient when it comes to things like milk or other perishables (though not sure I'd want to drink milk after being out of the fridge for 3 hours...), this is a suitable change.
I complete understand the change. I just have to figure what to do on my resort change day. I know that I now plan to do two smaller orders from Instacart, one each at the start of each portion. If I have any cold items to transfer, I’ll pack them in a bag and take them on the Skyliner from Pop to Yacht Club. Then again, I may just get an Uber XL over and take all of our luggage with us.

The real question is will they take my cooling bag (with ice packs in it). I will not old them responsible for spoilage, but don't want to have to hump it over to the next resort. Another downturn of the Disney experience.

The real question is will they take my cooling bag (with ice packs in it). I will not old them responsible for spoilage, but don't want to have to hump it over to the next resort. Another downturn of the Disney experience.
That's a good question.

One of the earliest posts I saw about this new policy said they’ll transfer items in hard sided containers with ice. Hopefully it will work out for you!

That's what we're planning to do. We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

We have a split stay in August: BLT to BWV and my OCD already had me set up 2 Garden Grocer deliveries as I wasn't going to trust milk, eggs, cheese etc. that was picked up and transported elsewhere.

My understanding is a hard sided cooler with ice is allowed. I know you can buy a biodegradable cooler from Whole Foods that wasn't too expensive (cant find it right now for some reason) and Target has a biodegrable one for $6.99 by Igloo called recool. So you could order one of those for delivery to your resort, fill it up with ice or ice packs and have bell services transfer it. The cover looks a little iffy on those disposable coolers, so you might want to bring some bungee cords to keep it shut. I haven't tested this myself, so it is definitely a YMMV.

While we don't do a lot of split stays, as a DVC member, having them move our luggage and our groceries was a great perk.
Will really miss that.

While we don't do a lot of split stays, as a DVC member, having them move our luggage and our groceries was a great perk.
Will really miss that.
They'll still move most of that, they just won't keep anything refrigerated for you.

I recently heard a report from another guest that Bell Services has said they will not move any groceries that are loose, like a case of water despite it not being perishable. You can obviously dump the groceries into your luggage, but just be prepared. I'm planning to bring a large duffel bag which takes up very little space in our luggage and will throw clothes in that and put the food into our regular luggage if we need the space.

I recently heard a report from another guest that Bell Services has said they will not move any groceries that are loose, like a case of water despite it not being perishable. You can obviously dump the groceries into your luggage, but just be prepared. I'm planning to bring a large duffel bag which takes up very little space in our luggage and will throw clothes in that and put the food into our regular luggage if we need the space.
I’m bringing a duffel as well. I plan on doing two different Instacart orders at the start of each leg of my split stay, but if I have some leftover unperishable food or drinks, I’ll pack them in the duffle. I don’t plan to have much though.

This is definitely in the rumor column, unless someone else can confirm it.

UPDATE: Multiple people in the DVC Fan group confirmed they were unable to transfer refrigerated goods using bell services. One person mentioned a CM who told them it was due to an incident with a guest’s medicine that caused them to change this policy, so seems like it was a liability issue.

I wish Disney would officially announce this because it is going to be a surprise to a lot of people.

I saw today on a DVC Facebook group, posted today (7/24/21):

"FYI- as of today Disney will no longer carry your cold bags of perishables/medicines to another resort when you do a split stay. I spoke to a manager who said it came down from corporate yesterday. If you have a hard sided cooler packed with ice they'll take that."

Curious if anyone is at Disney now and can confirm this?

I definitely have had refrigerated goods transferred between resorts during a split stay (staying at 2 different Disney World resorts), and I'd be disappointed if they stopped doing it. Sort of feel like Disney is slowly taking more and more things away too even though this one is a pretty small perk.

I could definitely work around the problem to get my stuff to the next resort myself (via rental car or ride share) and leave it with Bell Services, but if this is true, it is definitely annoying - although somewhat understandable as some have said perhaps they were having too many problems with things leaking and having to clean it up.

But I haven't heard this anywhere else though, so just curious if anyone has experienced this same restriction?
What DOES Disney still do for its loyal customers ? Seems like they just keep taking away services and increasing the prices

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter