Considering first time visit in Jan opinions?

PMGuernsey

Mouseketeer
My wife and 3 small kids (8,5,and 3) are considering visiting Aulani for the first time the end of January (assuming its still open). I'm wondering if it is worth it at this time given how many things are closed. I guess a benefit is that it would likely be less crowded. We would stay 5-6 nights if we go. Any opinions or thoughts would be appreciated. We typically travel to Disneyland 3-4 times a year, but given its been closed we are looking for alternatives. Thanks

So I live in a resort area (not Hawaii) and when we reopened, the number of visitors who were surprised/disappointed that we weren't fully open *last July* was truly astounding. If you can see yourself doing takeout to the room, dining off-hours so you won't wait too long for service, socially distancing/mask wearing and generally being a chill visitor (which it sounds like you may be), why not? We're big ocean lovers, and ours is too cold now, so we're attempting to visit as well. Good luck deciding!

We own right next door at the Marriott, and decided last summer to book our 2021 weeks end of October 2021. I don’t see much changing as far as things open there in a month, so I’d hold off personally.

Honestly, I wouldn't. And I say this as someone freshly back from a (fun) week in Orlando! Its cheaper for us to do Aulani but having been twice pre covid, I just can't imagine enjoying it as it is right now.

Thanks everyone.... I have real mixed feelings here.. We went to WDW mid August and the crowds were so low we hardly waited for anything. It was our best trip to WDW... I'm not sure what Aulani is like so it's hard to make a judgement. Biggest draw back I see now is closed kids club. Dining may be a big issue as well. If the crowds are really low at the pools and beach, would it be worth it .... Hard to decide....

The resort is not busy at all during the week. But I have seen reports that every weekend is just packed with locals. If you go over the weekend, I would leave the resort and go explore at that time. I would leave the resort and explore anyway, it is Hawaii after all. But if you are good with just a relaxing trip, I would go. Make sure you are aware of the testing that you have to do before you go.

We don't have kids but visited for our first time over Thanksgiving week and had such a great time we have already re-booked for Sept. 2021. Yes, it was sad to see the characters in masks and not have Ama Ama open, no adult only pool, other limited offerings, but we still had such a great time. Its hard with kids, I hear the kids club (not sure what its called) is great so I imagine that would be hard to not experience....BUT if you are just looking for great pools and beaches I think you will have a good time :)

Keep in mind that Aulani is a very different vacation than WDW or DL. The benefit of Aulani is that its a great home base for the Disney fan who is on a Hawaiian vacation. Given the amount that's inclined to still be closed or restricted in January in Hawaii, you will not get to fully experience it. If its the pools and beaches that interest you most, there's other places you could visit that are closer, cheaper, and less restrictive.

I seem to be on the other side of the fence, but we are going to be first time travelers at Aulani at the end of Jan! We are bringing our 1 & 3 year old and my parents. We plan on cooking 2/3 meals per day so limited restaurants aren’t a biggie for us. Mine are really too young for Aunties Beach house so that wasn’t an issue also. With the crazy cheap flights it was a no brainer!

If you like to:
-leave your kids with the cast (Aunties Beach House at Aulani) and have alone time
-eat in at the resort at your leisure
-have character greetings (up close and personal)
or are worried about social distancing/mask policies
Then probably not a good time to go.

If you like to:
- explore Oahu more and use the resort more for the pools/ lagoon
- take out and eat in your 1-2 bedroom for some meals

For me, the big thing I missed was the kids activities. Having been to Oahu many times, we just wanted to relax.. and not having a place where kids can have their own fun while adults have their own time was a big difference for me.
There's also not a lot of places that you can bring your takeout and eat outside. So if you are in a standard hotel room or studio, you may end up eating in your own room which may not be appealing to some.

One of the big (huge!) draws of Aulani is Aunty's Beach House. All three of your kids are almost guaranteed to love it, as they have focused activities for various age groups all day long. As long as Aunty's is closed, I can't recommend anyone with kids visit Aulani. And as long as the spa (one of the best I've ever seen) is closed, I can't recommend adults visit either!

Well thanks for all the replies and suggestions. We have decided to go.... We got a great deal on flights and haven't ever explored Oahu. So we are going to check out he island and just expect to use Aulani for the pools and lagoon.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter