Contract Passed

JWG

DIS Veteran
Not DVC related, but as frequent visitors, you'll be glad to know the CM's passed the contract they voted on yesterday:

Final vote:
3056 - Yes
2676 - No

Quite the poor turnout considering the 20k+ CM's. Frewer than the original vote they recently had.

Anway, shouldn't see any summer vacation disruptions.

Sorry,

The unionized CM's at WDW were working on an expired (temporarily extended) contract and terms.

They were voting to ratify the new agreement. They had voted it down not too long ago (2-3 weeks??), Disney submitted a very similar (if not identicle) contract that the union pushed to a vote. The vote was yesterday, it passed.

Those of us with summer trips were a little concerned about what would happen if they voted a 2nd contract down as that paves the road to strike. Not that all CM's would or that Disney doesn't have a contingency plan, but some disruptions would be unavoidable.

Yes the contract did pass...but I don't think the changes resulting from it will be welcomed by many WDW guests:

1) Gratuity removed from the DDP (but with no reduction in cost!)
2) Automatic 18% gratuity added to DDE purchases
3) Automatic 18% gratuity charged on parties of 6 or more (used to be 8)

It will be interesting to see how many people decline to purchase DDP. I personally feel Disney has decided DDP doesn't have the profit margin they were hoping for (due to so many people taking advantage of loopholes in the plan) and this latest move is actually the beginning of the end.

As a family of 6 (me, DW and 4 kids) does this mean I will be subject to an automatic 18% gratuity at every table service meal, including character buffets that have built in "entertainment" cost. NOTE: I do usually tip 18-20% at full service and about 15% at buffets for acceptable/good service, but less if service is not good or lacking all together, which has happened to us a couple times at WDW buffets (no drink refills, no clearing plates, etc.)

Does anyone know when the automatic tipping policy will go in effect.

Thanks.

Yes the contract did pass...but I don't think the changes resulting from it will be welcomed by many WDW guests:

It will be interesting to see how many people decline to purchase DDP. I personally feel Disney has decided DDP doesn't have the profit margin they were hoping for (due to so many people taking advantage of loopholes in the plan) and this latest move is actually the beginning of the end.

1) That is going to hurt the server's, I can't believe they put that in there (or that they weren't able to get Disney to remove it in some fashion). People will not tip well because they'll think the tip is included
2)DDE is, unfortunately, too small of a population to matter to anyone on either side I bet.
3) This is a bit ridiculous. If you do a Disney trip with extended family there's no way to avoid 6 or more quests. What this means for me is if I have bad service, I'll now be sure to say something to the manager because I won't want to pay the "automatic" tip.

I think you are right about this signalling the begining of the end for DDP. I think it was an experiment that may have run its course.

I hope it works out for the workers.

Do the DDE/DDP gratuity changes take place immediately?

Bobbi

I hope it works out for the workers.

Do the DDE/DDP gratuity changes take place immediately?

Bobbi

On another board (restaurant one?) an OP (claimed he/she is a server at WDW), stated that these changes go into effect Jan. 1,2008.

I'm guessing there will be an official notification sometime before then :confused3 .

For us, we'll still do the DDE, since we tip at least that amount anyway. :goodvibes

On another board (restaurant one?) an OP (claimed he/she is a server at WDW), stated that these changes go into effect Jan. 1,2008.

I'm guessing there will be an official notification sometime before then :confused3 .

For us, we'll still do the DDE, since we tip at least that amount anyway. :goodvibes

I agree regarding the DDE. I am GLAD that there will be public notice, a waiting period hopefully so people can plan. I hope the info gets spread better than using fastpass...there are still people who don't understand them, but they are the only one who lose...here the waitstaff does stand to lose money. They will be blasted if they ever hint that the tip is no longer included.

Bobbi:goodvibes

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter