Contract Swap?

kristler

SSR, OKW
We currently have 120 Saratoga Springs points and 100 Old Key West ( 2057) points, we bought the Old Key West points in late 2020 (direct) because at the time DVC didn’t have any Saratoga points in the same use year (August). Ends up we are always working around to use our points at Saratoga. I think the a use year difference would be less a pain at this point. So my question is has anyone ever “swapped” contracts either direct via DVC or person to person / third party? I know we could buy 100 SS points, then sell the OKW points, but I’d really like to avoid hassle of the extra time and costs for how ever many months it takes to work and through a purchase, then a sale afterwards.

Any thoughts or insights?

Thank you in advance.

You would still have to go through ROFR and closing. There is no way to just trade real estate without all the deed filing, and no way to do it with DVC but via ROFR.

Any family members that are DvC fans…..

you could buy a new contract that is more to your liking, letting the family member pay for it,
at the same time do a Gratuitous transfer to the family member …. Doesn’t really save you a ton, but it saves some time

also blue card? Are the SSR points direct? Did you buy the OKW point when the limit was 75 or 100…. Might be something to consider

Thanks all. Yeah makes sense on the whole right if first refusal and closing. I guess I’m realy just hoping for something that's not likely which is a fairly quick trade ( with ROFR and closing cost). Both our contracts are direct and blue card eligible so we are good there. Thanks for the quick and informative feedback!

As mentioned, the only way to do it is to sell it and rebuy, even if the seller and buyer are the same in each transaction.
Yes on this. We tried to do this once, called our guide and asked about it. He said there was no way to swap. So we did the sell/buy. That was 20 years ago, and we haven't regretted it. Did the buy part first, so we weren't without points, but as long as we did that, we were happy.

If OP had found someone to do a swap with, couldn't they theoretically both do a gratuitous transfer if it's a pure transfer and no exchange of money as part of the swap? I understand that you still need a ROFR waiver and pay closing (and perhaps that's what everyone here meant in responses), just wondering if that's even possible (never mind the actual chances of finding someone who has a contract you want and wants yours with no exchange of money). Or is gratuitous transfer only limited to family members or trusts and the like? I wonder how much Disney would dig to see if people are actually related if it's restricted to family members. Sorry, lots of rambling but OP's question just got me thinking about all of this while I slowly transition back into work mode this morning!

If OP had found someone to do a swap with, couldn't they theoretically both do a gratuitous transfer if it's a pure transfer and no exchange of money as part of the swap? I understand that you still need a ROFR waiver and pay closing (and perhaps that's what everyone here meant in responses), just wondering if that's even possible (never mind the actual chances of finding someone who has a contract you want and wants yours with no exchange of money). Or is gratuitous transfer only limited to family members or trusts and the like? I wonder how much Disney would dig to see if people are actually related if it's restricted to family members. Sorry, lots of rambling but OP's question just got me thinking about all of this while I slowly transition back into work mode this morning!

If they are swapping contracts it’s no longer gratuitous transfer, because they are getting something for the contract, and that is a different one.

A gratuitous transfer is when you give it to someone else for free. And, while DVD waives ROFR automatically when it is family, there is nothing specific that says they must..which could mean determining it’s not a valid transfer…and have to offer an amount of value for it.

If they are swapping contracts it’s no longer gratuitous transfer, because they are getting something for the contract, and that is a different one.

A gratuitous transfer is when you give it to someone else for free. And, while DVD waives ROFR automatically when it is family, there is nothing specific that says they must..which could mean determining it’s not a valid transfer…and have to offer an amount of value for it.
Makes sense. Thanks for the logical response to my ramblings!

Sadly, I think this one comes back to a big "No can do"

I'm sure OP is not alone with multiple contracts that don't flow together well.

No swaps, but we just sold and bought when we wanted a different home resort. The closings were about a month apart so by the time we bought, we had the proceeds from the sale. It was pretty seamless even though we used all different resale brokers and closing companies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter