Converting 9-day Park Hopper Passes to DVC Annual Passes

Alphapoint

Earning My Ears
Hello,

Last April we purchased a vacation package to Disney World from Sept. 22 to Oct. 1st 2007, which includes a 9 day park hopper pass for each member of our family. (This is the package that included the free dining plan and required each member of the party to purchase at least a one day park ticket.)

This week we joined the Disney Vacation Club. I would like to convert the 9 day park hopper passes to annual passes and use our DVC annual pass discount in the process. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,

Last April we purchased a vacation package to Disney World from Sept. 22 to Oct. 1st 2007, which includes a 9 day park hopper pass for each member of our family. (This is the package that included the free dining plan and required each member of the party to purchase at least a one day park ticket.)

This week we joined the Disney Vacation Club. I would like to convert the 9 day park hopper passes to annual passes and use our DVC annual pass discount in the process. Does anyone know if this is possible?

When you check in, ask for your tickets to be separate from your room key (may not be completely necessary, but I have heard reports that the Dining Plans are messed up if you upgrade when your tickets are on the room key). Take the hopper tickets to a Guest Relations booth at one of the major parks or Downtown Disney. The CM there can upgrade each hopper to an AP or PAP (your choice). You will pay the difference in price between the gate price of your ticket and the AP or PAP. You will need a photo ID and your DVC membership card to get the DVC-discount. If your MYW ticket costs more than the discounted AP or PAP, you do not get a refund.

I was also thinking of doing the same thing. I have 8 day park hopper tickets and I might upgrade to an annual pass. Could we upgrade our tickets anytime during the stay or does it need to be at the beginning? I know we can add no expriation at anytime but will the upgrade still "credit" us all 8 days if we change it on the third day in? We are thinking of becoming DVC members and would most likely purchase when we are on the 8 day trip. My other question is can we get the DVC discount after we sign the paperwork or would we have to wait a certain time period?

Can anyone clear up my question? (see above) Do passes need to be converted immediatly to annual passes? Marriedmyprince

I needed to know the same thing! I have 3 park hoppers from 2003 that i just found. All three have one or two days left on them. Was wondering if it is possible to use these to trade up to the AP's and save myself a little money;)

A few things that I know or have heard.

1. Only ONE ticket can be traded for each AP. (I know this from personal experience) So richardsa98 can only trade ONE ticket up to an AP. I have some old tickets that I considered doing this with, but I actually decided they were worth more as "tickets" (you only get credit for the "unused" day and buying a "one day" ticket costs FORTUNE if you ever need one LOL!)

2. Upgrades on the MYW tickets must occur within 14 days and the AP is "backdated" to the date of first use. (This I read on the DIS so no guarantees, but I have read it enough that I think it's probably a fact)

My understanding is the same as CarolA's.

To Marriedmyprince - Generally, you need a membership card to qualify for the DVC discounted AP or PAP. If you present a membership card, a photo ID and your MYW ticket to guest relations you will be able to upgrade to the discounted AP or PAP. (You won't get a refund if the MYW ticket cost more than the AP or PAP, though).

If you purchase DVC while on the trip (assuming you do that directly through DIsney), you may be able to get the membership number and temporary card from your guide at that time. It would take some extra effort on your guide's part - be sure to ask if this is important to you. I am not sure if they will do it before closing, but since they allow reservations as soon as they have your deposit, this may be workable as well. Never hurts to ask.

Good luck!

One other thing about upgrades. If you have the plus options, waterparks, etc on the hopper ticket. If you have used one of the plus options you can only upgrade to a prem anual pass, not just a reg anual pass.

I'm not sure if you can do the upgrade if the hopper has plusses on it and they are unused. Maybe someone else knows?

I didn't see it mentioned but if you convert your park hoppers to AP's you will lose free dining. Free dining is available only with purchase of a package including hotel thru CRO at rack rate with at least a one day park hopper ticket for each person.

you don't need the park hopper - just a 1 day ticket for the dinning.

several people here say they did this last year?

Oh yes, my error. One day ticket (not hopper) is required. They are turning in their park hoppers though for AP's and unless they buy a one day ticket along with the AP's they will lose the free dining.

or they can use it for one day and just do the upgrade when they leave the park that day. but this is the first I have heard that you can't upgrade a ticket at Disney.

I don't think anything counts but the ticket price - not the park hoppers or water parks.

plus as had been say - it only applies to unused tickets.

I didn't see it mentioned but if you convert your park hoppers to AP's you will lose free dining. Free dining is available only with purchase of a package including hotel thru CRO at rack rate with at least a one day park hopper ticket for each person.

Hey CarolAnnC,

Which is true?!?!?!

On 08-19-07 you wrote:
"When you check in, ask for your tickets to be separate from your room key (may not be completely necessary, but I have heard reports that the Dining Plans are messed up if you upgrade when your tickets are on the room key). Take the hopper tickets to a Guest Relations booth at one of the major parks or Downtown Disney. The CM there can upgrade each hopper to an AP or PAP (your choice). You will pay the difference in price between the gate price of your ticket and the AP or PAP. You will need a photo ID and your DVC membership card to get the DVC-discount. If your MYW ticket costs more than the discounted AP or PAP, you do not get a refund."

Thanks,
Alphapoint

A few things that I know or have heard.

1. Only ONE ticket can be traded for each AP. (I know this from personal experience) So richardsa98 can only trade ONE ticket up to an AP. I have some old tickets that I considered doing this with, but I actually decided they were worth more as "tickets" (you only get credit for the "unused" day and buying a "one day" ticket costs FORTUNE if you ever need one LOL!)

2. Upgrades on the MYW tickets must occur within 14 days and the AP is "backdated" to the date of first use. (This I read on the DIS so no guarantees, but I have read it enough that I think it's probably a fact)

or they can use it for one day and just do the upgrade when they leave the park that day. but this is the first I have heard that you can't upgrade a ticket at Disney.

I don't think anything counts but the ticket price - not the park hoppers or water parks.

plus as had been say - it only applies to unused tickets.

Thanks for all the help everyone! But now I am getting confused... I have a package through AAA with room, tickets and dining. I have hopper tickets for 8 days. They do not have water parks and more and I do not have free dining. (AAA was less expensive) The package discount at AAA is technically just on the room portion. SO I would like to upgrade to 8 day hoppers to annual passes half way through the week. I understand they would be backdated to the first day I used but I now I am nervous that I would not be able to upgade halfway through the week. Anyone actually done this before? Especially interested if you had a package? THanks, Marriedmyprince

Hey CarolAnnC,

Which is true?!?!?!

On 08-19-07 you wrote:
"When you check in, ask for your tickets to be separate from your room key (may not be completely necessary, but I have heard reports that the Dining Plans are messed up if you upgrade when your tickets are on the room key). Take the hopper tickets to a Guest Relations booth at one of the major parks or Downtown Disney. The CM there can upgrade each hopper to an AP or PAP (your choice). You will pay the difference in price between the gate price of your ticket and the AP or PAP. You will need a photo ID and your DVC membership card to get the DVC-discount. If your MYW ticket costs more than the discounted AP or PAP, you do not get a refund."

Thanks,
Alphapoint

Sorry, you must be confusing me with someone else. I did not post that on 8/19/2007

Just to clarify, to be eligible for "free dining" you must purchase a package through CRO with room rack rates, and at least a one day admission ticket for each person. There is no "free dining" for DVC members.

So if you are looking to convert the tix from a package to AP with DVC discount, you will need to check on using at least one day from the hopper tickets first, or purchasing one day tickets for each person and then trading in the hopper tix for DVC AP's. You can't just drop off the MYW tickets and keep free dining.

Hope this explains further. Also, please feel free to visit our Dining Plan Board for complete Dining Plan information (free and paid plans as well). Thanks!

Hello,

You should still be able to convert your package to lesser tix; call WDTC or whoever you bought them thru (TA?).

Ask to be "downgraded" to MYW base tix, no pluses, don't add "no expiration" feature OR park hopping.

You can then then ask upon checkin to have your tix NOT placed on your room key.

Take the tix to Guest Relations outside any park or DTD; present with your DVC membership card & photo ID...you're good to go.

Remember that only IMMEDIATE family members (as in residing in your household) may use the DVC discount.

BTW, with the free dining you only are required to purchase 1 day MYW base tix. As long as you don't use it lol, it's good to trade up to AP in the future.

good luck.

Just to clarify, to be eligible for "free dining" you must purchase a package through CRO with room rack rates, and at least a one day admission ticket for each person. There is no "free dining" for DVC members.

So if you are looking to convert the tix from a package to AP with DVC discount, you will need to check on using at least one day from the hopper tickets first, or purchasing one day tickets for each person and then trading in the hopper tix for DVC AP's. You can't just drop off the MYW tickets and keep free dining.QUOTE]

I just came back from Disney. My sister and I stayed at Pop Century for the free dining. I am a DVC member. We checked in on Sunday, 8/26. We went to SSR to the Turf Club for dinner and then went over to Guest Relations at Downtown Disney Marketplace. My sister upgraded her one day ticket (not yet used) to a 7 day MYW base ticket and it remained on her key card. I upgraded my one day to a DVC AP. They gave me a separate ticket for the AP. My key card still worked for the door and the dining plan. My sister could have done her upgrade at the resort but I knew the AP had to be done at Guest Relations so we went together. It was quick and painless!

I just came back from Disney. My sister and I stayed at Pop Century for the free dining. I am a DVC member. We checked in on Sunday, 8/26. We went to SSR to the Turf Club for dinner and then went over to Guest Relations at Downtown Disney Marketplace. My sister upgraded her one day ticket (not yet used) to a 7 day MYW base ticket and it remained on her key card. I upgraded my one day to a DVC AP. They gave me a separate ticket for the AP. My key card still worked for the door and the dining plan. My sister could have done her upgrade at the resort but I knew the AP had to be done at Guest Relations so we went together. It was quick and painless![/QUOTE]

Thanks so much for the specifics. Do you know if I would be able to use a couple of days and then upgrade? We are coming in Sat and meet with DVC guide on Monday. If we buy, I want to upgrade to DVC AP retroactive to Sat. (DVC guide said he could get us temp DVC cards right away to get the discount.) Thanks, marriedmyprince

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter