Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

I was wondering if you could help me understand something. http://www.cruisefish.net/finder.md?id_cruise_type=21031936
Why is all of this year and early next year look like its ....should I call it “crossed off?” I never understood this site well, but looks like you have some understanding far beyond what I can fathom. I’ll pay you for lessons! Honestly, Disney gift card?

You give me far too much credit..! The only time Ive seen cruises blocked out like that is if they have been cancelled but according to RCCL's website they are very much not, which now makes me worried that they aren't updating as often as they used to! :headache:

Info on crew embarks:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html?
Dream and Wonder are both Provisionally Red. Which is Not Good.

Red Ship Criteria
  • One or more cases of confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like Illness within the past 28 days, or
  • Ship received ship-to-ship transfers from a ship that had confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like illness within the 28 days before the transfer occurred, or
  • If land-based crew embarked, they were not immediately quarantined for 14 days upon embarking the ship, or
  • During the past 28 days, the ship missed one or more weekly submission of the EDC form.
The Response Plans are solely for crew embark and repatriation and not in the slightest for passenger travel. The CDC has said about the crew repatriation guidance and plans: "Meeting these criteria does not mean cruise ships can resume passenger operations. We don’t have enough information at this time to say when it will be safe to resume sailing with passengers. Cruise lines may need to establish additional safety measures before sailing with passengers is permitted to resume. CDC will continue to evaluate and update its recommendations as the situation evolves."

We're nowhere close to filed or approved plans for passenger travel. Given the barrier that is being able to staff ships, I don't think anything sails before Labor Day at a minimum, and it's likely to be longer.

Info on crew embarks:

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/travelers/crew-disembarkations-commercial-travel.html?

Red Ship Criteria
  • One or more cases of confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like Illness within the past 28 days, or
  • Ship received ship-to-ship transfers from a ship that had confirmed COVID-19 or COVID-like illness within the 28 days before the transfer occurred, or
  • If land-based crew embarked, they were not immediately quarantined for 14 days upon embarking the ship, or
  • During the past 28 days, the ship missed one or more weekly submission of the EDC form.
The Response Plans are solely for crew embark and repatriation and not in the slightest for passenger travel. The CDC has said about the crew repatriation guidance and plans: "Meeting these criteria does not mean cruise ships can resume passenger operations. We don’t have enough information at this time to say when it will be safe to resume sailing with passengers. Cruise lines may need to establish additional safety measures before sailing with passengers is permitted to resume. CDC will continue to evaluate and update its recommendations as the situation evolves."

We're nowhere close to filed or approved plans for passenger travel. Given the barrier that is being able to staff ships, I don't think anything sails before Labor Day at a minimum, and it's likely to be longer.
I read the section on red before. Maybe I’m just unfamiliar with a current event??? Are the dream in the wonder still in red category because of the Covid found back in March?

Info on crew embarks:

Red Ship Criteria

All the Disney ships have disclaimers that seem to indicate that they are missing paperwork. In fact, every ship on the list except the Grand Celebration appears to be missing paperwork. Very curious.

For cruises, the path forward just seems too tenuous anytime soon. I knew there was a reason I needed to take all those 23 DCL cruises before this mess started. lol. My kids and I miss it terribly, but it was a very good run I guess. I think the best memory for us was Star Wars 7 opening night on the ship. I am too conservative to hum Barbara Streisand, but I am thinking about it..:)....I hope everyone on this board (and at DCL) remains healthy which is the most important thing for all of us now.

It's not looking good for August and September cruises. Norwegian canceled most of their cruises for those months.

https://www.ncl.com/suspended-sailings
I agree that it does not look good at this point with NCL canceling all cruises until the end of August. I feel the other cruise lines will follow suit as well. I will go crazy at that point because my cruise is 8/31 so if other cruise lines cancel up until the 30th....sigh....as my cruise is set for the next day. That will definitely be frustrating as I am right on the edge.

I agree that it does not look good at this point with NCL canceling all cruises until the end of August. I feel the other cruise lines will follow suit as well. I will go crazy at that point because my cruise is 8/31 so if other cruise lines cancel up until the 30th....sigh....as my cruise is set for the next day. That will definitely be frustrating as I am right on the edge.
Could be demand is not there. I get emails literally every day from NCL with promo offers for cruises (“Cruises for $199” “Free balcony upgrade”). Ironically, that makes me less likely to want to sail with them—last thing I want right now is a “budget” cruise where they are cutting corners.

It is not just demand for August.

CDC protocols for crew moves requires a 14 day quarantine of any crew member being brought on board a ship rated Green. Any positive tests during quarantine knocks out that Green status and starts a minimum 28 day period to get back to Green.

So realistically you have to plan a minimum of 42 days from the date of your last crew member embarking to be ready to have people working to get the ship ready to sail. Saying 60 days from bringing your first crew onboard for the most optimistic timeline, and that assumes you get all your crew aboard in about a 3-day stretch.

So they would have to be embarking fresh crew NOW for late August, on ships already rated Green. It is not happening.

(Extra detail is that only the Fantasy for DCL is Provisionally Green. NCL has a mix of ratings right now.)

Not worried about Coronavirus at all.

Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by Coronavirus = 0
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by taking selfie pic = 2
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by vending machines falling on them = 13
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by lightning = 31
Number of people in the U.S. killed annually by falling out of bed = 450

You get the point. You are more likely to die taking a selfie than by contracting the Coronavirus.

You might want to update those numbers.

With the exception of their Seattle based Alaskan cruises, all cruises through the end of September have been canceled.

You might want to update those numbers.

I agree but I do not want to go back and edit that post because that would seem deceitful. I'll let it hang out there to prove how wrong I was. I am still not personally worried though. When this thing started there was a lot of speculation and there still is, I think there will be a lot of wrong conclusions to go around but I think it would also be wrong for me to go back and change/edit my posts from 5 months ago to hide the fact. Keep in mind we had a Superbowl a few weeks after that post, cruising for 2 more months after that post, so I think a lot of people got it wrong. People will be understanding about being wrong back in January but they would not be understanding about going back and changing/editing my posts to hide the fact.

Last edited:
If you scan this list for disembarkation of crew, Fantasy is skeletal to empty: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/201...-ship/cruise-ship-member-disembarkations.html

Is that list inclusive of all the crew, do you know? Because the text says approved for disembarkation by the CDC, so I can't tell from that if it includes any crew that wasn't approved, or the crew that's staying on board to keep the ship running and so may not have applied for approval.

(still very interesting - thank you for the link!)

Is that list inclusive of all the crew, do you know? Because the text says approved for disembarkation by the CDC, so I can't tell from that if it includes any crew that wasn't approved, or the crew that's staying on board to keep the ship running and so may not have applied for approval.

(still very interesting - thank you for the link!)

That list is just crew that was allowed to debark on US soil. Any crew that transferred to the Dream or Magic wouldn't be included in that.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter