Coronavirus and DCL Megathread - Suspension of Departures for the fleet until early November. Booking only available from early December.

Firstly it isn’t flu and shouldn’t be treated the same as flu. I for one trust the WHO that this is a much bigger threat to us all and I’m happy that my own Government (UK) is taking a sensible approach to delay and mitigation of the virus in order to give EVERYONE the best possible quality care and chance of survival, should they be seriously affected. I also completely buy into the principle that we can all play a part in that by self isolating if and when necessary. I’m a bit tired of hearing people saying they’re young and healthy - well that’s good for you but think of others who aren’t. They’re relying on you to slow this down as much as possible. Hence the quarantine of 16 million people in Italy right now.

You and me, both. Honestly, I knew that people could be selfish and narcissistic, but I really had no idea that this would be the reaction from so many. SMH :( As for who will pay for all of this - my thoughts are that what's going on with the Grand Princess will cost quite a bit, and these passengers didn't cause this outbreak, so we will all end up paying the costs through taxes. But going forward? Not so much. When Americans travel to places they are advised not to travel to, should the government do whatever it takes to extricate them when they get in trouble? These are real questions and I don't have the answers, but if the healthcare system is going to be incredibly taxed (as it is in China and now Italy) who will have the time to surround each ship as it docks and carefully check all the passengers?

I agree. I think it is better to err on the side of caution. After all, a vacation is not a right...it is a luxury and someone's life is more important.
What about all the people that are going to lose their jobs. My question is why does nobody care about the thousands of people that died from the flu this year or in previous year? All of a sudden everyone is so self righteous and anyone who disagrees is a selfish narcissistic.

I worry about that too! A lot. I guess it is weighing all the pros and cons. I am not cancelling anything right now, but it isn't my right to have Canada pay for my repatriation or quarantine if I choose to go against the travel advisory. That is all I am saying. Canada has a strong advisory and we haven't closed borders or done anything else that other countries have done. Therefore they must feel very strongly about it. I have two cruises booked, one on May 8 and one on July 25. They are specialty cruises so I am pretty sad, but I just have to wait and see.

I worry about that too! A lot. I guess it is weighing all the pros and cons. I am not cancelling anything right now, but it isn't my right to have Canada pay for my repatriation or quarantine if I choose to go against the travel advisory. That is all I am saying. Canada has a strong advisory and we haven't closed borders or done anything else that other countries have done. Therefore they must feel very strongly about it. I have two cruises booked, one on May 8 and one on July 25. They are specialty cruises so I am pretty sad, but I just have to wait and see.
I don’t recall anyone on here saying they expected the government to pay for their travel choices. That being said I don’t think the governments are going to make people pay for quarantines. I fully expect the quarantines to stop when they figure out it’s pointless or they run out of room.

You and me, both. Honestly, I knew that people could be selfish and narcissistic, but I really had no idea that this would be the reaction from so many. SMH :( As for who will pay for all of this - my thoughts are that what's going on with the Grand Princess will cost quite a bit, and these passengers didn't cause this outbreak, so we will all end up paying the costs through taxes. But going forward? Not so much. When Americans travel to places they are advised not to travel to, should the government do whatever it takes to extricate them when they get in trouble? These are real questions and I don't have the answers, but if the healthcare system is going to be incredibly taxed (as it is in China and now Italy) who will have the time to surround each ship as it docks and carefully check all the passengers?
I get what you’re saying, but the reality is it’s not that simple. Many of us have thousands of dollars invested in non refundable vacations. If the government is truly that concerned about travel by cruise ship, or airfare for that matter, they need to take the necessary steps to ground that travel (thus requiring refunds to be handed out for cancelled cruises/flights). It’s neither fair nor reasonable to expect millions of people to halt travel on their own and lose tons of money in the process.

My question is why does nobody care about the thousands of people that died from the flu this year or in previous year?

I absolutely care about the thousands of people that die from the flu every year. That’s why we do the responsible thing and our whole family gets vaccinated every year (to protect ourselves and others). But I think there’s something to be said for trying as hard as possible to contain a new virus so that we also don’t have to deal with that every year going forward in addition to the flu. Are we already past that point? I don’t know, but my impression is that the WHO thinks it might still be possible.

My husband and I are both physicians and take care of cancer and other immune compromised patients. Due to the escalation of infections and the CDC warning, we will have to cancel the what would have been our first Disney Cruise in a week with our children. I am sad, but we can't risk infecting our patients or having a 1 month quarantine (2 weeks on boat and 2 weeks at home). However, it will be quite difficult to use the money and points we paid for this high season cruise in the next 12 months, as spring break next year is past the 12 month time period. I called and they would not allow the points to be used for anything else, but they stated the points could be applied to the new cruise booking in the next 12 months. Do you think it is possible that the policy will change in the next week on using points? There is a resort that we could book for spring break with the points, but they won't allow it.

I get what you’re saying, but the reality is it’s not that simple. Many of us have thousands of dollars invested in non refundable vacations. If the government is truly that concerned about travel by cruise ship, or airfare for that matter, they need to take the necessary steps to ground that travel (thus requiring refunds to be handed out for cancelled cruises/flights). It’s neither fair nor reasonable to expect millions of people to halt travel on their own and lose tons of money in the process.

I get what you're saying, too, and I'm one of those people as well. I have an expensive cruise in Europe booked plus hotels and private tours in two countries before and after. I spent months planning all of this, too. I think they should come down one way or the other as well because being in limbo like this is really ridiculous. If my travel will hurt others I will cancel it (well, I think we're pretty sure we are going to cancel at this point anyway, but waiting as long as we can to decide since we really do want to take this trip).

Asking who is footing the bill for all of this is one question I really have. The other thing I worry about as I watch the live video feed of them trying to get people off the Grand Princess is how much time and effort this evacuation is taking them - I just don't think this is sustainable. :(

I too have thousands of dollars invested in a cruise and flights. I honestly feel for everyone, us, the crew and shareholders. Even the insurance industry if they end up taking the hit. No one is to blame, it’s a really horrible situation. I regret biting and writing that post because I should know better and just scroll on past comments that I don’t agree with. People can do what and think they want of course.

I think what some are missing, past the quarantine risks, is your dream cruise may not be allowed to dock and you may not be disembarking even if the ship sails.

I think you have to ask yourself how you would feel on, say, a Greek Isles tour with no port stops for the price paid.

Last edited:
I made this thread after I posted the inquiry quoted by you and got the other quoted replies. Did you mean to post about another thread? I dont wish to duplicate anyone else's work that is why I asked.

I am unclear why you'd suggest we are unwilling to sticky things...? :confused3 We have a bunch at the top. The abbreviations are part of our FAQ sticky. https://www.disboards.com/threads/dis-dcl-faq-new-alphabetical-listing-of-dcl-information.2068966/
I wasnt suggesting, I was asking. I know some mods on some forums like to keep things super tidy. When I was a mod at another board and I know our team had reasons for doing things that wasnt always obvious to all members (though keeping a tidy sticky section was definately not one of those things).

I did not mean to offend. If I did, I am sorry. If I didnt and am misreading the tone of this message, well, good. Im glad I didnt offend. 8-)

I made this thread after I posted the inquiry quoted by you and got the other quoted replies. Did you mean to post about another thread? I dont wish to duplicate anyone else's work that is why I asked.

I wasnt suggesting, I was asking. I know some mods on some forums like to keep things super tidy. When I was a mod at another board and I know our team had reasons for doing things that wasnt always obvious to all members (though keeping a tidy sticky section was definately not one of those things).

I did not mean to offend. If I did, I am sorry. If I didnt and am misreading the tone of this message, well, good. Im glad I didnt offend. 8-)

Nope, I just didnt even realize it was yours! When I saw your message I was puzzled as I was sure I had seen one before, and it popped up when I searched (as well as the original abbreviation sheet which is the one I was remembering). I did try and edit the original to add TA at least, but I do not have access to forums outside of the cruise one so I can't. I imagine this is why so many things are missing from it... I've added yours to the sticky too.

I just wanted to make sure you knew we weren't power hungry with the stickies! I wasn't offended just confused since it WAS in a sticky... though not obviously so. As is it does seem a little full up there after all!

The next question will be who is liable for the cost of quarantine and also repatriation of native and foreign nationals? The evidence is already here to show the risks but cruisers are choosing to cruise against the advice of the CDC. I’m pretty sure that DCL terms actually state that guests could be liable for costs incurred during quarantine (I haven’t studied in depth though - please correct me if that’s wrong). What if they start to pass on the costs, would everyone still want to take the risk?

From DCL's terms and conditions from our Dec 2019 cruise on the Disney Dream:

25. The Carrier and the Master each reserves the right, without liability whatsoever, to refuse
passage, disembark, quarantine, deny service of alcohol to, restrain or confine to a stateroom or
any other area any Guest whose physical or mental condition, or behavior, or the physical or
mental condition or behavior of any person in the care of Guest, is considered in the sole opinion
of the Master and/or the ship’s physician to constitute a risk to the Guest’s own well-being or that
of any other Guest, crewmember or person, or to the safety of the Vessel. Carrier may refuse to
transport or may disembark at any port any Guest with a criminal background or any Guest who
may be suffering from contagious or infectious disease, ill health or whose presence in the opinion
of the Master may be detrimental to the comfort or safety of any other Guest, crewmember or
person, or who, in the Master's opinion, might be excluded from landing at destination by
Immigration or other Governmental Authorities. If any Guest is detained on board or elsewhere at
any stage or at destination because of quarantine, port regulations, prevailing applicable law,
illness or other cause, all expenses incurred in connection with such detention shall be for Guest's
account. Any Guest carried beyond destination for any reason without fault of the Carrier shall pay
for any additional maintenance or extra transportation. In any and all cases described in this
clause, the Guest shall not be entitled to any refund of fare, credit or compensation whatsoever.

There have been no reports anywhere of people being charged for their quarantine. That’s one way to kill the cruise industry - start billing people for their quarantine after. The industry would grind to a halt.
It’s the governments desicion to quarantine so in my opinion they should pay for it.
I've been told by my employer that if Ivisit a level 2 countryI will not be able to return to work for two weeks after leaving that country. That’s on me and I will pay for that.

It’s the governments desicion to quarantine so in my opinion they should pay for it.
I've been told by my employer that if Ivisit a level 2 countryI will not be able to return to work for two weeks after leaving that country. That’s on me and I will pay for that.
I would agree. If you put yourself in a position and you should suffer the consequence. I would have no sympathy for you. Point being stay off of cruise ships for near term.

Yes I agree I was just replying to the posted cruise contract which states that guests will pay for their own quarantine. It may say that, but it would be corporate suicide to bill guests for that.

Nope, I just didnt even realize it was yours! When I saw your message I was puzzled as I was sure I had seen one before, and it popped up when I searched (as well as the original abbreviation sheet which is the one I was remembering). I did try and edit the original to add TA at least, but I do not have access to forums outside of the cruise one so I can't. I imagine this is why so many things are missing from it... I've added yours to the sticky too.

I just wanted to make sure you knew we weren't power hungry with the stickies! I wasn't offended just confused since it WAS in a sticky... though not obviously so. As is it does seem a little full up there after all!

:rotfl2:

Glad everything is cool.

I will keep working on the list as time permits. I am not a DCL pro so I am just going through posts and pulling acronyms. So if anyone wants to add any acronyms to that post I will add them to the OP. I probably dont even need them defined, just a reminder that it extsts. But I do reserve the right to ask for help if needed. LOL

https://www.disboards.com/threads/a-list-of-common-abbreviations-cruise-edition.3795833/
--------
I now return you to your regularly scheduled freak out. LOL

But seriously, closing ALL of Italy until at least 4/3. :eek:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter