Costco Renters -- do they ever ask for the info for the free additional driver?

mom2mikel

DIS Veteran
We've used Alamo and Budget (Costco rates) and they have never asked for ID or anything for the free additional driver. I never thought about it but now I'm wondering if we need to insist they add the 2nd driver onto the paperwork.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!

We've used Alamo and Budget (Costco rates) and they have never asked for ID or anything for the free additional driver. I never thought about it but now I'm wondering if we need to insist they add the 2nd driver onto the paperwork.

Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks!
No personal experience, but this is what's stated on Costco's travel site:

For Alamo and Enterprise, the additional driver fee is waived for rental in the U.S., Canada, UK, France, Germany, Ireland and Spain. For Avis and Budget, the fee is waived for rentals in the U.S.
The additional driver must meet all renter requirements, appear at the rental counter with the primary renter, present a valid driver's license and present a major credit card in their name at the time of rental (they do not need a valid membership card). Additional fees will apply for drivers under 25 years old.
Please note, some rental car locations may allow your spouse as a secondary driver, plus your Costco Travel additional driver. This means you can have up to three drivers included in the cost of your rental. For details, contact the rental location.
It sounds like the additional driver and stated required info is added onto the reservation record.

I always do Alamo/Costco. Costco only asks for the name of the principal driver. However, when I complete the online checkin on the Alamo site, I can add the name/address/driver’s license for the second driver. I am usually asked for the DL of the second driver (along with my DL and credit card) at the exit booth in the garage. I always do skip the counter and go directly to the garage when available (as it is at MCO). Since I also login to Alamo with my Alamo Insider number, the checkin pre-populates my DL and CC information, so all I have to enter is the second driver information.

When we rented with Alamo/Costco at San Diego, skip the counter was not available, but I had completed the checkin in advance as usual. There, I used a kiosk to avoid going to the counter. Had to scan both DLs along with the credit card to complete the kiosk checkin.

One other thing. Costco indicates that you need to show your Costco membership card when picking up the rental car. I have never been asked for this at MCO, and for many years I did not carry my Costco card with me. Then I was asked for it at TPA. Fortunately, my DW had her Costco card in her wallet the first time this happened, and she was on the rental as a named second driver from the online checkin, so I didn’t have a problem. The next time this happened, again at TPA with the same gate agent, I had my card ready, and now always carry my Costco card when renting a car, just in case.

Last edited:
Its common sense. The rental agency has to approve all drivers. A driver with too many accidents or infractions may not be allowed. Think DWI, reckless driving and driving way above the speed limit.

COSTCO gives you an additional driver for free. COSTCO doesn't guarantee your first choice of driver will be.allowed

Some of the kiosks will scan your DL otherwise type it in online or on the kiosk

I always do Alamo/Costco. Costco only asks for the name of the principal driver. However, when I complete the online checkin on the Alamo site, I can add the name/address/driver’s license for the second driver. I am usually asked for the DL of the second driver (along with my DL and credit card) at the exit booth in the garage. I always do skip the counter and go directly to the garage when available (as it is at MCO). Since I also login to Alamo with my Alamo Insider number, the checkin pre-populates my DL and CC information, so all I have to enter is the second driver information.

When we rented with Alamo/Costco at San Diego, skip the counter was not available, but I had completed the checkin in advance as usual. There, I used a kiosk to avoid going to the counter. Had to scan both DLs along with the credit card to complete the kiosk checkin.

One other thing. Costco indicates that you need to show your Costco membership card when picking up the rental car. I have never been asked for this at MCO, and for many years I did not carry my Costco card with me. Then I was asked for it at TPA. Fortunately, my DW had her Costco card in her wallet the first time this happened, and she was on the rental as a named second driver from the online checkin, so I didn’t have a problem. The next time this happened, again at TPA with the same gate agent, I had my card ready, and now always carry my Costco card when renting a car, just in case.
I always do this also. Just wanted to add that you can get your Costco membership card on your phone on the Costco app. While I am not a big fan of apps in general, this one is helpful even though the picture is 20 years old!

Rented from Alamo at Tampa airport last week. Booked though Costco. The kiosk just asked to scan the additional drivers' license.

Based on what has happened in the past, your spouse doesn’t need to show a driver’s license. When they’ve asked about a second driver, when I point to my spouse, they just wave us through.

I recently rented twice thru Costco. Each time ( budget and Alamo) neither asked for the other license. Never even mentioned it. I said the spouse ( who was standing next to me) would be the other driver, they said ok and we left with nothing.

Noy in my experience. I asked when leaving Budget in San Jose and the person a family member is included automatically.

I always do this also. Just wanted to add that you can get your Costco membership card on your phone on the Costco app. While I am not a big fan of apps in general, this one is helpful even though the picture is 20 years old!
Just saw this as I was checking out at Costco this morning. I usually use the self-scan check out, so had not realized I could do this. I’m all for eliminating one more card from my wallet.

My mom rented a car in Chicago through Costco in July 2021, with me as the second driver. When we checked in at O'Hare, they required my license as well.

I do it online on the Alamo website. Book on Costco, then head to Alamo site to do the paperwork, get the skip the line stuff done, and add additional driver.

Yes, my experience is that they won’t add the second driver unless that person shows their Drivers License.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter