"could I have another glow cube?" - spring 2017 DR - COMPLETE 8/17 Homecoming

We had a run-in with a bell services CM who had a spectacularly bad attitude
Not very magical..... :(

then our magic bands wouldn't open the room door. :worried:
Wait...what??? I would be perturbed at that hour....

I did send my concerns to member services and they basically just said "oh sorry, we'll pass along the info."
If you want the WDW President's email, I have that. May get a better response.

Fortunately, that was basically the low point of the trip so it was good to get it out of the way early!
Well that is good to know!

there are two separate bathroom areas that both have sinks/vanities so we were never in each other's way!
Yes, I have heard about this and wish this were DVC standard.

you'll know that I feel very strongly about DVC studios because they come with a FULL SIZE COFFEE POT!
Agreed!!

Properly adorned, we hit a FP+ kiosk to see if there were any decent same day fastpass (FAQ here - not for those with weak stomachs) using spare bands that I'd brought along for members of my family that weren't with us.
I will be utilizing this, as well, on our June trip! I'm a little nervous because it is a bit of an organizational nightmare...but I have my plans for it all set.

Pros of back of log: we barely got wet.
This trumps all the Cons!

learned about innovations in homemaking through the last century on the Carousel of Progress.
Love this attraction! But I'm a sucker for the classics.

so mine was the pooper! I mean... the peoplemover.
And this one!

Here we are in our matching shirts:

u9gNDrPl.png

jRgomo3l.png
So cute!

The Fried Green Tomato Sandwich ($16.00)
My mom would love this!

We had thought that was a pretty good celebration but sneaky Darlene brought KJ a birthday cupcake packaged to go (we had declined dessert after failing to finish our sandwiches). How adorable is that?!

Nis5E9Yl.png
Nice!

I made sure to reach out to Disney on Twitter after our trip concluded and was rewarded with this adorable tweet back from my compliment:

qiybqtHl.png
Love this!

we got a leisurely ride back to our room via the resort launch.
So looking forward to this is June to WL.

I love the lotus glow cube. I hope they still have them when we go. I am looking forward to seeing ROL. I think i have heard enough about it to know what to expect and love it!

Those ribs looks amazing!!!!

And I am sure all of your "water" was super tasty! ;)

Well, KJ and I really did blow the lights out on drinking around Walt Disney World this time so I guess I was inviting scorn when I decided to write this up. :drinking1 Really everyone should be grateful that I tried all the drinks just to tell you which ones were the best so you don't have to taste them all like we did! :lmao:
No scorn from here. Nothing but love, admiration, and pure green eyed jealousy :D

Anyway, I wanted to get in an update but work is turning out to be absolutely insane this week - I have so many deadlines so I am not sure how many more updates I'll be able to pen before we head down to Orlando again this weekend. We are leaving on Friday after work and I will make sure to take lots of food pics! Back to your regularly scheduled dining reviews...
Awesome you are going this weekend! So jealous of all of you who live so close.

z2orVMql.png

Okay that is definitely not a bobcat. But this lion stretching his jaws was a pretty majestic sight to behold.
Love all the animal pics. When we went on a dusk safari we saw just about nothing

iOEdKk7l.png

Tempting Tigress - Russell's Reserve 10yr Bourbon, St. Elizabeth Allspice Dram, Tamarind Syrup, and Lime Juice. $12.75 This was tasty and right up my alley. I'd wanted to try something new to me and this just cements my belief that the Nomad Lounge does not have a bad thing on the menu.
My brother and Jason were obsessed with this drink when we were there. So much so that my brother video'd the bartenders making it so he could recreate it at home.

512uI0ol.png

Annapurna Zing - Bombay Sapphire East Gin, Passion Fruit Purée, Mint, Simple Syrup, and Lime Juice topped with Ginger Beer $8.50. KJ loved this and I loved it in the past, so it was no surprise that she joined the fan group!
Ah, my favorite. Best drink on property IMO. And you are so right, there is nothing bad on the Nomads menu. Not a thing!

OJm6yPUl.png

These are the Pork Ribs - honey-glazed coriander-spiced ($10). I have waxed poetic about how much I love this dish in the past, but I'll go ahead and do it again. I absolutely adore these ribs. They are perfectly cooked and totally tender, coated in a spicy (flavorful, not hot) rub that's slightly sweet and has a nice smoky chili tone in it. Then when you squeeze the magic charred lime juice over these puppies they take on a perfect acid note to cut that sweetness. They are scrumptious! Here's another photo after I sort of strewed them out so you can see what a nice portion you get for ten buckaroonies:

VPKAOw1l.png
Wow, you all got a ton of ribs. We ordered these too and If I recall I think we got 3 or 4 ribs. They were good, but I was expecting a bit more quantity wise. Have you ever tried the ribs at Morimoto? Hands down best ones I've ever had

Z0gAr7kl.png

We also shared the Nomad Cheese Board - "Selection of Artisanal Cheeses - chef's selection of accoutrements" ($14) AND I didn't take a photo of the description BUT I remembered to take notes this time!!! This was 2 year aged gouda, purple haze goat cheese, feta, blue cheese, fig bread, and cardamom almonds. There were also some cubes of some type of fruit gel and honeycomb. This was nothing too exotic but a cheese board is always a friend to me, and this was a nice one at what I think is a very fair price. We tried our best and still weren't able to finish everything. We ended up asking for more bread and since it was the end of the night we received a selection of leftover breads for the bread service at no cost. Thanks, amazing CM Spencer!!!
Why does no one ever give you enough bread with a cheese board? We always struggle with the same thing. But the cheese looks great, purple haze is one of our all time favorites
X1Yxg0al.png

'Ohana Bread Pudding - Single serving with scoop of vanilla ice cream and side of banana caramel sauce which costs... wait for it... $6.00. SIX DOLLARS CANYOUBELIEVEIT

Now, mind you, this did not change my life or anything, but it was tasty. And so cheap! I mean, a specialty cupcake is regularly running you $5.50 around property and this is a huge slice of bread pudding with ice cream and caramel sauce. I don't really understand Ohana's cult following, but at a tiny fraction of the adult dinner price ($48?!), this is plenty of dessert for two people to share and if you are at all interested I totally recommend getting one from the lounge.
Still kicking myself for never having this during our Poly stays. Oh well, guess another one is in order

Of course, after dinner requires after-dinner drinks.

VmiXMxRl.png
Of course you did :-)

Annapurna Zing - Bombay Sapphire East Gin, Passion Fruit Purée, Mint, Simple Syrup, and Lime Juice topped with Ginger Beer $8.50. KJ loved this and I loved it in the past, so it was no surprise that she joined the fan group!
Sweet baby Jesus. This sounds AMAZING. You know how I feel about mint and lime and gin. I'm not a huge AK fan, but I could hang in that lounge all day I think.

I don't really understand Ohana's cult following, but at a tiny fraction of the adult dinner price ($48?!), this is plenty of dessert for two people to share and if you are at all interested I totally recommend getting one from the lounge.
Nor I. The Poly is so fun to visit, but I would be just as happy having a Lapu and a hunk of bread pudding at Tambu.

I am so proud of you for keeping yourself hydrated with all that water ;)

Following along! I was so happy to find another fun and entertaining trip report from pepperandchips! Thanks for sharing.

PLEASE tell me you saw the freaking ADORABLE glow cube Derby hat that just got released at the Brown Derby lounge?!
OMG! I wish I knew about that last weekend! Definitely stopping in to get one in May

We both loved this show. I am an animal kingdom fangirl so I understand that other folks think it's slow or lacks story, but I just thought it was beautiful.
I can see why you'd love it :) It was definitely beautiful but, and don't get mad, it didn't "wow" us. I guess I, like many others, expected more after the long wait and all the hype. I definitely prefer Wishes and think I even prefer Fantasmic!......................

It's beautiful inside the lounge
That it is!

There were also some cubes of some type of fruit gel
I got the cheese board at Tiffins last Sunday and had those raspberry fruit gel cubes. I thought they were so freakin' good lol!!

I am REALLY hoping that you made it out of town ok last night. Such a tough afternoon for Atlanta! Here's hoping you got off of work early and were already south of midtown before the bridge went out!

I am REALLY hoping that you made it out of town ok last night. Such a tough afternoon for Atlanta! Here's hoping you got off of work early and were already south of midtown before the bridge went out!

Yes, thank you for checking on me! I had a work thing in Marietta so fortunately I was out of that area way earlier than the road collapse! My commute this morning was insane though. I live 6 miles from the office which is normally about 20-25 minutes in the morning. I left at 6:55 (way early for me) and got to the office at 8:05. I am not looking forward to the next few months...

I truly love Animal Kingdom, so I know I'll enjoy ROL! I made a ROL dining package at Tusker House to ensure we wouldn't have to wait in a gigantic line when we go in May. I was so torn between Tusker House & Tiffins. I think Tiffins is only around $10 more for the dining package, but not sure my sister & my BFF will enjoy the Tiffins menu. I thought Tusker House was a safer bet since more food choices, and we could always go to the Nomad Lounge to check things out at Tiffins. Can't wait to go on an evening safari! I just can't wait to see AK at night!

Loving all the drinks and compiling a list for our October trip! Sounds a great trip

I'm excited to see all of the Nomad Lounge offerings! That's on my list of things to do in August, and I'm super excited.

Just wanted to say, loving the dining report!
Nomad lounge is totally on my list to get drinks and apps next time. Everything sounds delicious especially that cheese board. Mmmm.
And totally psyched that you can get the Ohana bread pudding at the Tambu Lounge ala carte now. It's probably my favorite old school dessert in Disney and I'm not a big dessert person nowadays (but I always end up doing a dessert party or two, go figure :laughing:)

And your delicious Plaza Inn lunch!! Wow I've never been there but looks like I'll have to give it a try for a cheap yet good meal! That is so cute about the twitter thing. I had no idea they would respond!

PLEASE tell me you saw the freaking ADORABLE glow cube Derby hat that just got released at the Brown Derby lounge?! I sent a photo of it in an email to KJ at work yesterday and I heard her squealing all the way down the hall. That chick LOVEs a glow cube and I gotta admit I'd like one too...

Brown-Derby-Glow-Cube-March-2017-3-614x600.jpg

OMG I NEED IT!

'Ohana Bread Pudding - Single serving with scoop of vanilla ice cream and side of banana caramel sauce which costs... wait for it... $6.00. SIX DOLLARS CANYOUBELIEVEIT

So worth it! I need to get to the Tambu Lounge some time.

I had a Lapu Lapu refill (the novelty of the pineapple is no longer worth the upcharge to me, plus I like these cute tiki cups which you can purchase at the Bou-tiki downstairs if you agree)

I love that cup too! It's way better than the pineapple.

OMG! How am I going to stay sober enough to ride the Fps with the kids?
We somewhat reluctantly switched our stay FROM the Poly (to the GF - so, it's not all bad news) but I DO want to get drinks (in souvenir glasses) in Trader Sam's (It's a short, and doable, hop on the monorail, right?)
But now, I have to make it over to AK to try the Annapurna Zing too!
Thanks for your reviews!

Epcot and Fireworks and Glow Cubes
Sounds fun...let's see, shall we? :teeth:

The photos were back to working again so I appreciated that.
Yeh they did not work for Will and myself in June. Not sure if it was bc the camera couldn't see the little guy or just general malfunction.

we got assigned the right side and didn't bother asking to wait for the middle.
I've never asked to wait fir the middle but I've heard the distortion is bad with the new version so I will be this trip.

We hit up Fleur de Lys for two cocktails: "La Vie en Rose Frozen Slush: Grey Goose Vodka Orange, St. Germain Liquor, White and Red Cranberry Juice – $9.95". These were deeeeeelicious.
I, too, wish this were available year round...or at least in June. Yum!

KJ also got a Macaron Chocolat Framboise: Large Raspberry Macaron with Chocolate Fudge and Raspberry Jam (GF) – $4.75.
This sounds very good to me!

Not to be left behind in the snacking endeavor, I ordered the Tarte à l’Onion Alsacienne: Alsatian Onion Tart with Sautéed Onions, Fresh Thyme and Rosemary on a Flaky Puff Pastry Crust (V) – $4.75.
More yum!

so she sprung for the Watermelon Cucumber Slush with Tamiami Florida Gin – $11.75.
I'd probably fall for that too.

Carne Asada with Black Bean Cake and Cilantro Lime Sour Cream – $6.50.
This sounds amazing.

This is the Warm Cheese Strudel with Mixed Berries – $4.00. This is maaaaybe the best $4 you can spend in Epcot. Holy cow this was so good!
Never have I had cheese strudel...but it sounds really good.

topped with sour cream (my favorite condiment
Definitely my favorite.

"The Seven Seas Lagoon”, a 24 oz shareable drink containing the following ingredients:
Oh. My. Goodness.

Still, we enjoyed our second fireworks show of the evening before we boarded the resort monorail and snoozed out back at the Poly.
Nice!

I'm so happy to see a review from people who like drinking around Disney as much as mom and I do! I would have loved to be there with you that Epcot day in particular- sounds like a crazy blast!

Some of us were feeling more chipper than others (no comment).
I bet! Wow, woman. I'd be out cold! Props to you, though! I do remember those days....

So disappointing. I also had some less-than-stellar breakfast potatoes. KJ had a bagel and was also disappointed.
Boo, hiss!

The standby line was posted at 20 minutes but it was more like a 40 minute wait when all was said and done.
Wowza!

Normally I can't do simulators so it's a treat to get to ride Star Tours, which I did last time wearing a patch with no problems.
I can't do anything more than Soarin' but maybe I should try a patch....

we used a same day fastpass to play some carnival games!
So it was fairly easy to get a SDFP for TSMM? I plan to try for it in June. I'll be hitting the kiosk around 10am or so, booking for 7pm or so. When I practiced, I saw availability, therefore I'm hoping it works out.

I love this bar
I am planning a visit.... :)

Well our server didn't mention that the "spicy" bloody mary was a WASABI bloody mary, so these had an overwhelming unpleasant horseradish flavor.
Yuck!

The Kona Salad is Seasonal Greens, Blue Cheese, fresh Fruit, Red Onions, and Candied Nuts with Citrus Vinaigrette ($9.00) This was super tasty, light, and fresh.
This sounds wonderful. I do love me a good, flavorful salad.

it is a dole whip blended with rum.
Planning to grab one of these at AK, most likely!

quickly made our way to the Kilimanjaro Safaris to enjoy a fastpass just before dusk.
I am planning for a just before dusk safari in June. We had close to that last June but it was just a tad too late.

KJ ran up to Thirsty River for... *ahem* water
This is also in my plan for June. Ya know, to get *ahem* water from Thirsty River. Lol

KJ got a lotus flower glow topper for her "water"
Oh, I may have to get one, too!

But KJ had the full on Lapu experience, pineapple and all!
I can't quite decide if I want to shell out $14 for the experience. I haven't before, so we'll see. We'll be at 'Ohana for an 11:40 breakfast ADR, so I *may* grab one, if possible.

ETA: I'm all caught up! Yay!

Yay! That's a fantastically close countdown. I hope you have as amazing of a girls' weekend as KJ and I had! I love macarons too, I love the cute little box of them you can get inside Les Halles!

Um yeah, stay far afield of the wasabi bloody mary!!! and :welcome: so glad to have you here reading along!

Ha. Y'all are my kinda people. "Please give me two of your finest cocktails so I can ensure my statistical sample is large enough - thank you"

pirate: is right! We had so much fun. Glad to hear I have some beverage fan friends here!!

PLEASE tell me you saw the freaking ADORABLE glow cube Derby hat that just got released at the Brown Derby lounge?! I sent a photo of it in an email to KJ at work yesterday and I heard her squealing all the way down the hall. That chick LOVEs a glow cube and I gotta admit I'd like one too...

Brown-Derby-Glow-Cube-March-2017-3-614x600.jpg

Oh my gosh I totally understand. My draft for the next post has been languishing. Work is kicking my tail hard this week. Can't wait for a quick Disney fix to break up the stress!!!

LOL at the idea of you being a nun. We just didn't have an adorable Casey type to keep up with so we could let the spirits move us. :p

Haha, oddly enough the hangover wasn't really too bad. I think because we spaced everything out fairly decently and drank a bunch of water too (ssshhh don't tell anyone).

I did make the whole thing for the wire ears... sort of. I mean I don't make the headband obviously but I hand shape the wire ears and crowns from craft wire and assemble everything and then add the flowers. It's a labor of love, to be certain. and :thanks: I love them too!!

Trader Sam's is so fun. If your girls like the tiki room I think they would love the effects in there. Plus there are a couple fun mocktail choices so they could order those and feel very sophisticated! I would have loved it as a child, but admittedly I was born with the spirit of an 80 year old and have only gotten older since.

Don't worry, math is not required nor welcome here! LOL And we certainly didn't count them either :rolleyes:

What you said is precisely the reason why I write my DRs (besides having a place to look back at the fun I had on my trips) - I love using other DISers dining reports to see what is offered at WDW and whether those items are personally recommended by real humans. These boards are just so helpful. :disrocks:

Haha, yes... we needed something to remove the stain of the wasabi bloody mary from our memories and the smaller flower and garden festival offering of the rum-spiked dole whip had caught KJ's eye. I figured we could get a full sized shebang at the resort and not sacrifice any of our precious tummy space at Epcot on dole whip! (My priorities are admittedly gluttonous)

Kona is so funny because it's so divisive. It used to be a must-do for us, but as time marches forward other restaurants are sharing the Kona spotlight. I long for the Wave for breakfast now (as much as I love the Samoan) but Kona was just the perfect convenient option for a low key lunch this day. It was great to stay at the Poly!!!

My R hates bloody marys too so when I told him about the wasabi issue he about gagged. Bloody marys seem to be a "hate it or love it" item!

HOLD.THE.PHONE. DUCK potstickers?! Okay, let's start the petition to bring them back! I'll be honest, the first (and last) time we had the Kona potstickers (new version I suppose) they tasted like freezer food that you can get at Publix, so it has not been something we repeated ordering.

We did drink a bunch but we had SO much fun. I know that you can relate to having an AP and multiple trips changing your priorities a bit. Nice to have a relaxing Disney weekend for once!

Oh yeah, it was SO bad. I knew there was no way I could eat eggs (which are dicey for me before noon even if I've not had a drop to drink the night before) and I was just so disappointed. Oh well, live and learn!

I think the plain ones must be fine, since Kari always gets them and says they are great. We should have just gone with the plain version. Although to be honest if I am at Kona again and in need of a beverage I will probably just stick with my standard backscratcher! Hey, it has juice, it can totally be a day drink... lol
For sure! Now my DH loves those backscratchers,his fav!!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter