Counter Service - grabbing table AFTER ordering food - is this a rule?

We saw it at Pecos Bill's in summer 2012, so it's not incredibly recent. I really actually liked it. I wish they would do it at Pinocchio's. Both times we have eaten there, before 11:30am, we couldn't find a table. This was during Spring Break. There were single people sitting at large tables without food or with only a drink, and they stayed there the entire time we were eating without anyone else showing up:confused3 DH walked with the tray, while DS and I went ahead looking for a table. I wish a CM had been helping people. I swore to never eat there again because of the rotten experience. I have been places where the only table available was large, and there was only 3 of us. I have offered to share it with others. I have also informed people walking around when we were about to leave. But it never seems to pay to be considerate. Being the nice guy means we get to walk around forever looking for a table and get to eat cold or soggy food. Oh well, at least I know I have tried and feel comfortable living with myself. I guess I can always hope for karma:rolleyes:

They did it at Pinocchio's while we were there early December (around the 2nd). As a matter of fact, on that trip, every counter service place was doing it except Toy Story Pizza Planet and that might be because we were the first people in line at 10:30 AM.

You have one neurotypical child. Imagine having 1 toddler, 1 non-neurotypical child, and 2 more young kids...and trying to make sure they all stay together in a large lunch line and then getting them and trays of food/drink to a table.

Most people don't consider the policy for anyone but their family size and type...Routinely, most families like the one I described above need both parents to get their kids settled at a table before they even try to get food from the lines. And it's nice, after standing in 95 degree heat, to be able to drop off your diaper bag at the table, so you don't have to carry that and your tray...

But, for Disney, it's turning tables and money. Again, if the CM policy was to sit you and deliver your food for you, that'd be great. But it's not.

FYI we do not have one neurotypical child. He has a very rare genetic condition (osteogenesis imperfecta type 3 severe and although that is a physical condition there are delays that we are dealing with since he spent most of his first year in the NICU and his hydrocephalus) and at 2.5 years old he is in a wheelchair. So he takes more attention than 2-3 typical children due to his equipment, yet we still manage. It isn't easy but we do stand in that heat (always go in summer because I work in education) and just imagine walking in and NOT being able to find a table to sit at because too many people are saving tables. I'll take the policy over the brief convenience of getting a table first any day.

Last edited:
Haha, right? I'm going to take a wild guess and say that a few people here don't have a bunch of little children of their own to corral. But they sure do know a lot about how much of a non-issue it should be for families who do! Awesome! :)

No one said it is a non issue, but the benefits greatly outweigh the cost to most of us. Last June we had our son and we had two other young children with us (relatives) for certain parts of the trip. The one day we tried to eat at Y&Y CS was a wreck trying to find a table. On the other hand Cosmic Rays was nice and easy we just had to be patient.

Haha, right? I'm going to take a wild guess and say that a few people here don't have a bunch of little children of their own to corral. But they sure do know a lot about how much of a non-issue it should be for families who do! Awesome! :)

Well you would guess wrong. I've been to WDW as part of a family of 8, 3 that were little children. And what I can tell you is how much is sucks to walk around with trays of food, because there are no empty tables anywhere, but plenty of people sitting without food. If people waited to sit until they had their food, those tables would turn over faster and be available for those guests that actually had their food.

When Disney decides to not allow guests to sit until they have food, it is a great thing!

If I knew this was the new process for all Disney CS, I'd just bring lunch

1) Not for much longer.
2) Disney is ALREADY beginning to limit the amount of foodstuff people can bring into the parks.
. . . they are not letting people enter with gobs of food
. . . in fact, they are hiring more Security Guards to help police the new policy
. . . the last newspaper Want Ads featured 3/4 of a page JUST for Disney Security Guards
3) They are tired of not being able to sell their to those guests who brown-bag-it.
4) This is a valid issue, and I think (in this case) Disney is right. *

* Disney is in the business of selling food and souvenirs. They should be able to capitalize on that. People can no longer bring meals into most Major League Baseball games. This is no different. People have simply gone way overboard on bringing food into the parks. I can see a SMALL snack bar or two, but more than that is robbing Disney of the ability to utilize their investment in structures and labor. (Those who read my posts know I criticize Disney and Guests alike. In this instance, Disney is in the right.)

1) Not for much longer.
2) Disney is ALREADY beginning to limit the amount of foodstuff people can bring into the parks.
. . . in fact, they are hiring more Security Guards to help police the new policy
. . . the last newspaper Want Ads featured 3/4 of a page JUST for Disney Security Guards
3) They are tired of not being able to sell their to those guests who brown-bag-it.

* Disney is in the business of selling food and souvenirs. They should be able to capitalize on that. People can no longer bring meals into most Major League Baseball games. This is no different. People have simply gone way overboard on bringing food into the parks. I can see a SMALL snack bar or two, but more than that is robbing Disney of the ability to utilize their investment in structures and labor. (Those who read my posts know I criticize Disney and Guests alike. In this instance, Disney is in the right.)

Can you clarify? How much food is ok and how much is not? Are they currently telling people they cannot bring in coolers of food?

I have three young children and will much prefer this coming holiday if disney does stop people hogging tables without food. Last visit we spent a long time with trays of food going cold whilst trying to also control our children. This policy makes it better for everyone, you get your food, you go get a table, done, no food going cold :).

1) Not for much longer.

Does this include things we'd bought from disney on previous days? like their cookies, cupcakes, fruit, sandwiches etc, as my plan was to hold back some snacks each day to use them for my kids another day when we don't like the snack options in that park as much. Plus it will give me food I can give my littlest one as she's not on the ddp.

I agree people bringing in full sided coolers etc is a bit extreme.

I have three young children and will much prefer this coming holiday if disney does stop people hogging tables without food. Last visit we spent a long time with trays of food going cold whilst trying to also control our children. This policy makes it better for everyone, you get your food, you go get a table, done, no food going cold :).

This is a thoughtful, reasonable response.

You apparently realize that your children aren't any more tired, cranky, or special than anyone else is.

It's a wonderful policy that Disney has implemented during busy times.

I mean I get it, I see both sides here. But it's so not practical for a young family to have us all standing at the front, congesting the area and policing kids from climbing on bars and darting in front of people with food trays.

My kids know better than to run around in front of people and climb on things :) And if they didn't we would wait outside or all go through the line together (which we've done). My kids, my problem.

So, yeah. It's a non issue because we've made it one. The only issue we've fun into is people holding tables. Never really understood why the number of kids you've decided to have somehow makes it cool to inconvenience other people.

I get it. It's easier. But I'm sure walking around with food and your gaggle of kids is less desirable than keeping them behaved for 15 minutes off to the side and you'd be miffed if you were experiencing it.

My kids know better than to run around in front of people and climb on things :) And if they didn't we would wait outside or all go through the line together (which we've done). My kids, my problem.

1) Hallelujah !
2) A parent who realize that kids need parenting, not the freedom to behave anyway they wish. *

* Our two girls were also taught to behave and listen to their parents (us). Once, when they were young, we actually left the park because they would not act properly. Yes, they complained and cried a little, but such was the penalty. The next time, all we did was warn them of leaving and they settled down.

We have small children and avoid this problem by eating at non peak times, or we do table service. If we do counter service, we eat at 11. That way there are no lines and if one of us does sit at a table while the other orders, we aren't taking a table away from anyone because it's not crowded and there are more tables than people.

ETA: But actually we usually just go through the line with our kids. Our daughter is well behaved and just follows directions. We now have an infant, so that's a little harder to handle but she'll learn to wait in line like her big sister.

So, yeah. It's a non issue because we've made it one. The only issue we've fun into is people holding tables. Never really understood why the number of kids you've decided to have somehow makes it cool to inconvenience other people.

I get it. It's easier. But I'm sure walking around with food and your gaggle of kids is less desirable than keeping them behaved for 15 minutes off to the side and you'd be miffed if you were experiencing it.

Yep. Some parents need to ask themselves if their children are "ready" for Disney before dragging them all over the entire 30,000 acres down there, and expecting others to deal with it.

We have small children and avoid this problem by eating at non peak times, or we do table service. If we do counter service, we eat at 11. That way there are no lines and if one of us does sit at a table while the other orders, we aren't taking a table away from anyone because it's not crowded and there are more tables than people.
Same here. We love counter service, but we eat lunch as soon as a counter service location opens or mid to late afternoon. No lines for food or tables. Very relaxing.

Yep. Some parents need to ask themselves if their children are "ready" for Disney before dragging them all over the entire 30,000 acres down there, and expecting others to deal with it.

Exactly. Disney is not some God given right of passage for children. They need to be able to handle it- the crowds, lines, heat.

Rather than demonizing families who have taught their kids a pattern of how to eat based on how they do it at every restaurant everywhere (since sitting down at a table by either a wait staff person at a table service or yourself at a counter service is the way restaurants work all across America...and Disney restaurants are no more special than the 10s of 1000s of restaurants in the US), maybe Disney could and should get back to the things that made it great - serving the customer. It seems interesting to me that most people have complained that single adults have been holding tables (not awful families) - why? First, it probably stems from removing so many benches from the park, so if you wanna sit, you almost need to find a CS restaurant. Second, it then probably stems from limiting the availability and hours of their CS restaurants most times of year so they can always have peak performance of food sales without any additional labor. Third, it probably stems from having few, easily available places for people who bring food/snacks to eat (see lack of benches). And fourth, it probably stems from not having enough seats at the CS restaurants they do have to accommodate those who want to eat when they want to eat.

Look, I have been been through Disney-training at the Disney Institute (late 90s) when Disney was proud to share its customer service concept to corporate professionals from all professions nationwide. It is amazing how far they've moved in the park management from what they've taught just 20 years ago. Just look at this thread...rather than making all customers happy (which was the #1 emphasis), they have now (through the actions I've listed above) pitted customers against customers and have guaranteed some of those customers will have an unpleasant experience. Just read this thread. That is so far from their old concept, it's amazing to me.

I don't need to say more...things change and companies change. Disney wouldn't be the 1st company to largely abandon old customer-friendly policies in favor of newer, cheaper ones.

Rather than demonizing families who have taught their kids a pattern of how to eat based on how they do it at every restaurant everywhere (since sitting down at a table by either a wait staff person at a table service or yourself at a counter service is the way restaurants work all across America...and Disney restaurants are no more special than the 10s of 1000s of restaurants in the US), maybe Disney could and should get back to the things that made it great - serving the customer. It seems interesting to me that most people have complained that single adults have been holding tables (not awful families) - why? First, it probably stems from removing so many benches from the park, so if you wanna sit, you almost need to find a CS restaurant. Second, it then probably stems from limiting the availability and hours of their CS restaurants most times of year so they can always have peak performance of food sales without any additional labor. Third, it probably stems from having few, easily available places for people who bring food/snacks to eat (see lack of benches). And fourth, it probably stems from not having enough seats at the CS restaurants they do have to accommodate those who want to eat when they want to eat.

Look, I have been been through Disney-training at the Disney Institute (late 90s) when Disney was proud to share its customer service concept to corporate professionals from all professions nationwide. It is amazing how far they've moved in the park management from what they've taught just 20 years ago. Just look at this thread...rather than making all customers happy (which was the #1 emphasis), they have now (through the actions I've listed above) pitted customers against customers and have guaranteed some of those customers will have an unpleasant experience. Just read this thread. That is so far from their old concept, it's amazing to me.

I don't need to say more...things change and companies change. Disney wouldn't be the 1st company to largely abandon old customer-friendly policies in favor of newer, cheaper ones.

Bull. If you look around you will see while they may have taken out benches, they have added seating. Look at those new planter in the Magic Kingdom. They all double as seating.

In addition you need to look at the math. If people hold a table before they have food it takes longer for that table to be available for the next set of guests. Look at it as minutes. It becomes very clear that it is the holding of the tables that cause the problems. I don't think it customer friendly at all to allow guests without food to take up table space. Not letting them do so is very customer friendly.

I'd be all for the policy if Disney had some place where families and kids could wait. Too many times I've seen massive lines filled with families when only 1 person in the group actually needs to be in the line. If they wait most anywhere else it can choke the aisle ways making it difficult for someone carrying a tray of food to get thru to the tables.

I'd be all for the policy if Disney had some place where families and kids could wait. Too many times I've seen massive lines filled with families when only 1 person in the group actually needs to be in the line. If they wait most anywhere else it can choke the aisle ways making it difficult for someone carrying a tray of food to get thru to the tables.

You have stated a valid concern about the policy.

The following are NOT valid concerns about the policy...

"It's 95 degrees outside"...Everyone is experiencing the 95 degree heat, not just your family.

"I have 1, 2, 4, 8 small children"...Congratulations, but that doesn't make you more entitled to a place to sit than someone who actually has their food. In fact, someone in a restaurant with their food should get a table over someone without it. They've obviously been here longer than you have, and theyr'e ready to eat, right then.

"They took away seating elsewhere in the park"...This is not a restaurant issue. Restaurants exist first and foremost to feed people. This policy addresses an existing restaurant issue.

"We have a lot of bags"...So do many other people. Even if one has no bags, when they get their food, they should be able to sit down and eat over someone who doesn't have their food yet.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter