Counter Service - grabbing table AFTER ordering food - is this a rule?

You have stated a valid concern about the policy.

The following are NOT valid concerns about the policy...

"It's 95 degrees outside"...Everyone is experiencing the 95 degree heat, not just your family.

"I have 1, 2, 4, 8 small children"...Congratulations, but that doesn't make you more entitled to a place to sit than someone who actually has their food. In fact, someone in a restaurant with their food should get a table over someone without it. They've obviously been here longer than you have, and theyr'e ready to eat, right then.

"They took away seating elsewhere in the park"...This is not a restaurant issue. Restaurants exist first and foremost to feed people. This policy addresses an existing restaurant issue.

"We have a lot of bags"...So do many other people. Even if one has no bags, when they get their food, they should be able to sit down and eat over someone who doesn't have their food yet.

Wrong, for Disney, these should all be valid concerns. Disney should know and understand its guests and their needs. THAT'S true customer service. So, the concern of kids clogging up lines is as valid as any concern listed above because they are ALL concerns that one of Disney's customers has. Now, if Disney no longer wants those customers, they can decide to ignore their concerns or do as little as possible to alleviate them, but then they have decided to limit the customer base they want to reach.

But, it amuses me that anyone thinks a company founded on getting families with little kids to come to their parks should then ignore the needs of the families with little kids. Disney has always known these guests require more than standard guests and they used to cater to their needs as the standard for all guests (thus, why everyone can be a kid at Disney). From replacing sodas and ice creams dropped for free, to stopping to cheer up a crying child - Disney made its mark (and trained others) on serving the client to the fullest. But, that's not gonna maximize profit in this era of shareholder 1st.

So, if Disney has 2 customers with opposite needs (one needs a table to be able to order food at all and one needs a table to eat the food they already have), as I've mentioned about 3x already, they can meet both of these needs by having a lot more tables (and open CS restaurants). It will cost them more (in table costs, cleaning costs, and possible restaurant expansion costs), but they will be able to have all clients happy. Old Disney would have done this without thinking. Current Disney tries to come up with inexpensive business school "solutions" that end up with some client not being happy (and they accept this as the new way of business and hope they don't lose the clients in the process).

And they are a business and are allowed to change to this path of reducing their customer is always 1st concept to one that put costs much higher in the equation. But, when you stop leading in an area, you start allowing others to catch up and customers to notice.

Good to know. We go to parks once or twice a year and usually eat lunch there. I have never experienced not being able to find a table first. Our daughter is in a wheel chair and we have always found a table for her to sit at while we got food. I never even knew this was an issue. My only complaint has been when we wait in a long line, finally get to cashier and then be told the computer is down so please move to another line and start over again. It has happened twice over the past couple years at two different places. Very frustrating. Especially when the cashier is so matter of fact and not nearly sorry enough!

Good to know. We go to parks once or twice a year and usually eat lunch there. I have never experienced not being able to find a table first. Our daughter is in a wheel chair and we have always found a table for her to sit at while we got food. I never even knew this was an issue. My only complaint has been when we wait in a long line, finally get to cashier and then be told the computer is down so please move to another line and start over again. It has happened twice over the past couple years at two different places. Very frustrating. Especially when the cashier is so matter of fact and not nearly sorry enough!

Ok, I'll bite. What would indicate they were "sorry enough"?

Wrong, for Disney, these should all be valid concerns. Disney should know and understand its guests and their needs. THAT'S true customer service. So, the concern of kids clogging up lines is as valid as any concern listed above because they are ALL concerns that one of Disney's customers has. Now, if Disney no longer wants those customers, they can decide to ignore their concerns or do as little as possible to alleviate them, but then they have decided to limit the customer base they want to reach.

But, it amuses me that anyone thinks a company founded on getting families with little kids to come to their parks should then ignore the needs of the families with little kids. Disney has always known these guests require more than standard guests and they used to cater to their needs as the standard for all guests (thus, why everyone can be a kid at Disney). From replacing sodas and ice creams dropped for free, to stopping to cheer up a crying child - Disney made its mark (and trained others) on serving the client to the fullest. But, that's not gonna maximize profit in this era of shareholder 1st.

So, if Disney has 2 customers with opposite needs (one needs a table to be able to order food at all and one needs a table to eat the food they already have), as I've mentioned about 3x already, they can meet both of these needs by having a lot more tables (and open CS restaurants). It will cost them more (in table costs, cleaning costs, and possible restaurant expansion costs), but they will be able to have all clients happy. Old Disney would have done this without thinking. Current Disney tries to come up with inexpensive business school "solutions" that end up with some client not being happy (and they accept this as the new way of business and hope they don't lose the clients in the process).

And they are a business and are allowed to change to this path of reducing their customer is always 1st concept to one that put costs much higher in the equation. But, when you stop leading in an area, you start allowing others to catch up and customers to notice.

Disney needs to be concerned with all of their guests. Families with small children are no more special than families with older children or with no children. The parents are the ones who need to see that their needs are met, and no one else.

By the way, you must have missed how Walt stated he wanted the parks so that all families could enjoy time together. He didn't say just those with small kids.

I also don't see how those kids, who are perfectly fine waiting in line for rides, are now such a hindrance waiting in line for food.

Disney needs to be concerned with all of their guests. Families with small children are no more special than families with older children or with no children. The parents are the ones who need to see that their needs are met, and no one else.

By the way, you must have missed how Walt stated he wanted the parks so that all families could enjoy time together. He didn't say just those with small kids.

I also don't see how those kids, who are perfectly fine waiting in line for rides, are now such a hindrance waiting in line for food.

You totally missed my point above - Disney customer service was based around meeting the needs of kids and everyone benefited from that. Who normally drops an ice cream cone - a little kid. However, who would Disney give a free replacement cone to if one was dropped - EVERYONE! So, a customer policy put in place for little kid needs actually could and did benefit everyone.

No one is saying a family with little kids is more special. Disney used to say you could all be a kid, since they were willing to serve all guests at the higher level that a little kid needed. Why do you think allergy and diet conscious guests are not just shuttled to one restaurant with one dining section, but are catered to anywhere and everywhere they'd like to eat? Disney was always focused on meeting the "hardest" needs of a family and letting all guests benefit (and letting all families enjoy the world together). Now, their focus is changing, likely to meeting the "median" needs of most folks at the lowest cost possible, about what most theme parks aim to do.

They can totally do this. Really. Heck, many may want them to do this. But it doesn't change the fact that when you become like everyone else, you have less that makes you special. And when you have less specialness, it takes less and less to lose what was once a loyal base of customers.

You totally missed my point above - Disney customer service was based around meeting the needs of kids and everyone benefited from that. Who normally drops an ice cream cone - a little kid. However, who would Disney give a free replacement cone to if one was dropped - EVERYONE! So, a customer policy put in place for little kid needs actually could and did benefit everyone.

No one is saying a family with little kids is more special. Disney used to say you could all be a kid, since they were willing to serve all guests at the higher level that a little kid needed. Why do you think allergy and diet conscious guests are not just shuttled to one restaurant with one dining section, but are catered to anywhere and everywhere they'd like to eat? Disney was always focused on meeting the "hardest" needs of a family and letting all guests benefit (and letting all families enjoy the world together). Now, their focus is changing, likely to meeting the "median" needs of most folks at the lowest cost possible, about what most theme parks aim to do.

They can totally do this. Really. Heck, many may want them to do this. But it doesn't change the fact that when you become like everyone else, you have less that makes you special. And when you have less specialness, it takes less and less to lose what was once a loyal base of customers.

I understand what you are saying and don't disagree with the premise, however giving out an extra ice cream cone or replacing a popped balloon doesn't have a negative effect on other guests. The argument has been presented (and I agree with it) that restricting tables to those with food is a positive for customers and although we haven't required help with our wheelchair others have posted that CMs are happy to help those that need assistance.

I get where your you're going with this, I just don't think kids NEED to be sat in advance. Is it easier? Heck yes! A need? Maybe in very special cases, but overall no.

I'm just not of the opinion that asking people to wait until they have food to sit is somehow making Disney less special or customer focused. There's not going to be a way that all guests love, so looking at what makes the most sense would be the best option, IMO.

I get where your you're going with this, I just don't think kids NEED to be sat in advance. Is it easier? Heck yes! A need? Maybe in very special cases, but overall no.

I'm just not of the opinion that asking people to wait until they have food to sit is somehow making Disney less special or customer focused. There's not going to be a way that all guests love, so looking at what makes the most sense would be the best option, IMO.

I think most of us agree that it's a very minor impact policy that is enacted only when needed, which in my experience has been rare. I really don't get using this minor impact policy to segue into an Evil Greedy Disney rant.

I dont agree Disney built their service ar
I think most of us agree that it's a very minor impact policy that is enacted only when needed, which in my experience has been rare. I really don't get using this minor impact policy to segue into an Evil Greedy Disney rant.

Because that is the only reason some posters post. To rant about how Disney is evil/greedy/dirty and that no one should go.

I both love this rule (when it helps me get a table when I have food vs people lounging that don't) and LOATHE it with young children. We had a nightmare of a time when the kids were smaller at Pecos and at Cosmic. I can feel my stress level rising just remembering it. It's very very difficult to manage small kids and juggle food and drink and condiments and is easier if they can be seated.

I think we could probably all sort the posts here by the age of people's children, or lack there of. This thread is reminding me of how strongly I dislike counter service. (Yes, I have young children.)

We first experienced CMs enforcing this rule at Pecos Bill the first week of December last year. Our party of 10 actually found it helpful, as the CMs kept the flow moving and directed us to tables. When we were there the week before Easter this year, they were not enforcing it. It was an incredible pain. I wandered through the massive area looking for a place to sit and for my party while carrying two trays. It was inefficient and such a pain. I'm assuming it was due to staffing cuts, as it was no surprise it was a busy day.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter