• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Crazy to purchase at a resort I've never stayed at???

JasonMak2000

Mouseketeer
I am considering a resale contract at VGF. On paper it checks a lot of boxes for what I'm looking for but I have never stayed there before. Closest I've come is passing by riding the monorail. The thing that makes it seem less risky to me is the fact that the rental market seems strong for this resort and the resale opportunity should be good as well ( I know no guarantees). Anyone else been through a similar situation and essentially bought sight unseen??

I always always advise people to buy somewhere they are sure they will want to stay. While never having stayed somewhere wouldn't necessarily deter me, it's definitely worth looking at the options/ amenities there and making sure you'll be happy staying there.

I think the cost of renting points or staying at the hotel for 2 nights or so is well worth making sure you're not going to regret the 15+ thousand dollars you're probably about to spend. Contracts aren't rare, so doing your due diligence is a smart move.

You may find you don't like it. Sometimes things that look great on paper are less great in person. I love the Grand Floridian, but it's not for me. Other people love it and that's wonderful. DVC is great like that, something for everyone.

With VGF's premium point cost and premium point chart, I would definitely make sure I wanted to stay there before spending the money on those points.

I may be a rarity, but I bought 200 points without ever staying at any DVC or deluxe property prior to purchase. Before DVC the most expensive room I stayed in was Port Orleans. I'm 3 years in and have no regrets about DVC. On top of that I go multiple times a year and still haven't stayed at my home resort.

I know I am in the minority here but I bought in at SSR a few years back and have still never stayed there. I have stayed at Poly, BLTx2, Aulanix2, BWV, and AKL though :teeth:.

Then again in your case I might pause a bit considering you are paying a premium for points that also come with a high cost point chart. I bought in with the mindset of cheap points that I can use anywhere. It's frowned upon around here but worked for me so far. It sounds like you are buying with the intentions of strictly staying at VGF but I myself would be reluctant to commit myself to those high point rooms if I hadn't ever stayed in them. I would hate to pay that premium then get into the room and think 'these are overpriced'. You may not be as cheap as I am though :rotfl:

I do think though with how many internet reviews, resort walk through videos, etc that are available online you can get a solid feel for the place without having been there.

We too bought 210 BWV points without staying there but did look at many resort videos and room tour videos on YouTube so we definitely liked the look of it. We also just bought direct points at SSR but We have stayed there and we do like it there. So I guess you could say ours was a success story on taking chances lol. So I guess I wouldnt advocate for or against it but as the pp said as well as what we said about videos and reviews you can get a pretty good feel whether or not you like a resort. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Hmmm, I'd be a hypocrite to suggest you NOT buy VGF under the conditions you've described: You've done some research, it checks your boxes.

My personal history, related to this topic:
  • 1996: Said, "No." to buying BWV after staying there on a Land/Sea Package and attending the presentation.
  • 2000: Purchased Worldmark while attending a sales presentation at a shopping mall. Had NOT seen or experienced a single Worldmark location but had researched the club prior to attending the presentation. It seemed to "check the boxes." (FWIW, we've loved our Worldmark. Later swapped out our original developer purchase for a grandfathered resale but continue to use and love the product.)
  • 2001: Purchased a fixed, summer week at a local timeshare to use as a trader and for "day use" of the pools, gym, sauna, etc. We walked around the property once before buying it and have only stayed there once since. We had researched "trading" thoroughly and selected this purchase for its "checking the boxes." Still have it, still trading it. Works for us.
  • later 2001: Purchased a week in South Africa to use for trading. Loved it. Never visited that particular resort but traded it faithfully. Had a blast with that ownership until it changed hands and ceased to operate as a timeshare.
  • 2002: Tried visiting a local ranch timeshare with intent to book a weekend stay and/or buy. We were turned down on all counts (couldn't even get a tour from the sales team as we were told, "You wouldn't like it here.") Found a share on eBay many months later and bought it, sight unseen. Loved that ownership until its final death 10 years later. Would do it all again in a heartbeat.
  • 2004: Finally got onto the waitlist for DVC at BWV. Ended up buying SSR instead, pre-opening, sight unseen. Still have it. Works for us!
FWIW, we bought a house once, too, as "sight unseen." That is, we put our offer in having driven past the property from the road but before ever getting a tour. I'm in that house now. My happy place. Love it.

Sometimes research prevails. If you know yourself well enough ... and are content with the research ... I'd green light the plan.

Last edited:
No, not crazy. We bought AKV resale without ever staying there.

With YouTube video tours and hundreds of photos online, we didn't feel it was necessary.

The price was right when we bought, and with 3 year old triplets (at the time), we weren't going to spend a trip at WDW touring/visiting resorts. We wanted a resort that would sleep 5 in a 1BR, and there are only a handful that fit that bill and we decided on AKV after doing a lot of research online.

Wow. Thanks for all the great replies. I totally see the wisdom in staying/experiencing the resort before purchasing. It is a huge investment for sure. But even a "quick" trip down to stay at the resort or resorts, is not cheap and would be more money and time that could be put toward the dvc purchase. Originally I was looking at AKV since it was the cheapest dvc that i would actually want to stay at. But there is a reason that it is cheaper and that is because it is not as popular. And that affects availability, and rentals and resale. So while most people may think they will never need to sell or at least downsize, it seems that most people actually do at some point. If not, then the resale restrictions wouldn't be an issue with Riviera. Also, based on what I'm seeing, if I buy at VGF I wont have much trouble finding a room at AKV from time to time. The converse does not seem nearly as likely if I buy AKV.

I know I am in the minority here but I bought in at SSR a few years back and have still never stayed there. I have stayed at Poly, BLTx2, Aulanix2, BWV, and AKL though :teeth:.

Then again in your case I might pause a bit considering you are paying a premium for points that also come with a high cost point chart. I bought in with the mindset of cheap points that I can use anywhere. It's frowned upon around here but worked for me so far. It sounds like you are buying with the intentions of strictly staying at VGF but I myself would be reluctant to commit myself to those high point rooms if I hadn't ever stayed in them. I would hate to pay that premium then get into the room and think 'these are overpriced'. You may not be as cheap as I am though :rotfl:

I do think though with how many internet reviews, resort walk through videos, etc that are available online you can get a solid feel for the place without having been there.

We did the same thing with SSR. We had rented points and stayed at Old Key West to see how we liked the "DVC atmosphere" and jumped in. Since buying we have stayed at OKW and Poly a few times and AKV - Kidani. I know other people in the same boat, until recently. They purchased at SSR because of cost per point for dues and fees, and finally just stayed there after 8 years! It's all about your preference - you don't HAVE to stay where you buy all the time - if ever! That's the beauty of DVC!

I bought SSR without staying there too, that said I had stayed at others (AKL and BRV). I wanted the financial benefit of SSR and wanted to be DVC, I don't regret it, I generally try to stay elsewhere (because SSR needs its refurbishment quite badly not because I don't like the resort) but will stay there if no other options and I won't have a problem with that.

I spent a lot time research where to buy, and talking to a friend of my that had been DVC for years before I bought. I am not sure I would buy VGF without staying there, but my reason for saying that is because of cost both in $ per point and points per stay. Also this resort has an upscale feel to it that not everyone likes (including my wife :smooth:). If you have researched the resort and are comfortable with the costs, I don't see why you shouldn't.

Originally I was looking at AKV since it was the cheapest dvc that i would actually want to stay at. But there is a reason that it is cheaper and that is because it is not as popular. And that affects availability, and rentals and resale.

Not trying to start an argument, but some of your assumptions are wrong and AKV is a very popular resort. It's lower price has nothing to do with it's popularity. People love AKV and contracts sell pretty quickly.

Other reasons AKV is a lower cost per point than other resorts

1: Location. Monorail and Epcot area resorts carry a higher premium due to their location.
2: Dues. The dues at AKV are a bit higher than other properties. This may or may not negatively affect resale prices by a couple dollars.
3: Size. AKV has over 7.3 Million total DVC points allocated to the two properties (Kidani and Jambo) VGF has appx 2.5 Million DVC points total. More availability tends to depress prices a bit, where scarcity (Grand Californian anyone?) drives prices up.

2 years ago AKV was selling in the 85 dollar a point range on the resale market. Today contracts are listing in the 110 a point range, with some folks paying upwards of 115 a point for loaded contracts. If people weren't buying, resale prices wouldn't have shot up 25% to 30% in the last 2 years. It's outpaced other DVC resorts resale increases when comparing percentages. The entire DVC market the last 2 years has been nuts though.

AKV has over 700 potential rooms available, while VGF is the smallest DVC at WDW with 147 max possible rooms. You mention rental possibilities and availability, AKV due to its size has better availability and is easier to rent than VGF. There are owners at VGF that can't get rooms during certain times of the year due to it's size. Popular times need to be booked at exactly 11 months out and unless you have a pre-arranged rental you might have more difficulty renting the points than you would at a larger resort.

I don't really care what you do with your money, but I just feel like it's important to point out some of your statements about DVC are incorrect, and give you better information to work with.

We bought SSR for 80$ per point without ever staying there (had stayed at POR, so knew the area - hated POR by the way :upsidedow). However, I would not have paid 132$ for BCV like I did without staying there.

It turned out great. We love SSR and are happy to stay there, but I wouldn't buy even SSR today at +/- 100$ per point without staying there. The 7 month window is getting fierce. I did not like VGF at all the one two night stay, and I thought I'd love it :confused3

Not trying to start an argument, but some of your assumptions are wrong and AKV is a very popular resort. It's lower price has nothing to do with it's popularity. People love AKV and contracts sell pretty quickly.

Other reasons AKV is a lower cost per point than other resorts

1: Location. Monorail and Epcot area resorts carry a higher premium due to their location.
2: Dues. The dues at AKV are a bit higher than other properties. This may or may not negatively affect resale prices by a couple dollars.
3: Size. AKV has over 7.3 Million total DVC points allocated to the two properties (Kidani and Jambo) VGF has appx 2.5 Million DVC points total. More availability tends to depress prices a bit, where scarcity (Grand Californian anyone?) drives prices up.

2 years ago AKV was selling in the 85 dollar a point range on the resale market. Today contracts are listing in the 110 a point range, with some folks paying upwards of 115 a point for loaded contracts. If people weren't buying, resale prices wouldn't have shot up 25% to 30% in the last 2 years. It's outpaced other DVC resorts resale increases when comparing percentages. The entire DVC market the last 2 years has been nuts though.

AKV has over 700 potential rooms available, while VGF is the smallest DVC at WDW with 147 max possible rooms. You mention rental possibilities and availability, AKV due to its size has better availability and is easier to rent than VGF. There are owners at VGF that can't get rooms during certain times of the year due to it's size. Popular times need to be booked at exactly 11 months out and unless you have a pre-arranged rental you might have more difficulty renting the points than you would at a larger resort.

I don't really care what you do with your money, but I just feel like it's important to point out some of your statements about DVC are incorrect, and give you better information to work with.
I agree, and I'm not a huge AKV fan.

We bought AKL without every staying there. We had visited hotel but never slept a single day there. We love it. Never looked back. Just our experience.

We bought AKV sight-unseen but having stayed at BCV (which we enjoyed but didn't feel the need to pay a premium for). Since buying in, we've stayed at BWV, GCV, Poly, and finally AKV. Poly will always be my favorite, but we like larger villas if possible. Once we stayed at AKV, my kids said as long as we had a 1 or 2bd at AKV they loved it as much as Poly. No regrets.

Yes. The cost and point charts are considerable especially compared to AKV. I have stayed at BLT and really liked it but didn't like the pool or the fact that I had to hoof it over to the Contemporary for food. I know I wouldn't be happy with OKW or SSR even though they are a good value. I usually stay in 1 or 2 bedrooms so PVB is out. BWV and BCV are too expensive for the length of contract for me. Stayed at CCV in February in a 1 bdrm and the resort was nice but the size and layout of the room just felt a little cramped to me. So by process of elimination, I am down to AKV and VGF. I have watched many videos online as others suggested and I love the room style and layout at VGF. Plus it just feels like OG Disney to me. Monorail buzzing by, Magic Kingdom off in the distance. What's not to love? I definitely plan on sleeping around if I can, but if I get "stuck" at my home resort in the future, I can think of a lot worse places to be. Still open to suggestions and willing to let anyone talk me out of this.

Anyone else been through a similar situation and essentially bought sight unseen??

I will tell you my experience - we rented points for a stay at SSR, only chose SSR because it was kind of a last minute trip and nothing else was open. The first day or so we thought the resort was nice, we had a studio room which was fine. Something seemed to be missing -- then it hit me -- there were no Palm trees on property. Well it is modeled after Saratoga NY so of course there are no palm trees. I am from New England, so when i go to FL I want to see Palm trees. When we decided to purchase a resale contract we had a set amount we could spend to buy enough points to go every other year. SSR was out as an option despite it being the most economical. Our other choices were OKW -extended or AK. We ended up buying AK - an amazing, unique resort, great dining options and we do love it but unfortunately after a split stay between Poly and AK -- we fell in love with Poly. We noticed a huge difference with the grounds - the Polynesian grounds are so spread out, tropical with lots of room to roam, plus you can look out and see the castle. At AK - we stayed at kidani - the only place to walk is basically out around the parking lot or just over to the pool (Or down the very long hallways). These are just some things that we never really noticed or considered with all the youtube videos we watched about the resorts before buying.

So I guess had we done the same stay before we bought in it probably would have changed out initial purchase decision. Which now we are in the midst of buying a poly contract.

So no it isn't crazy to buy sight unseen, many people do it, but it might benefit you to watch as many you tube videos as you can, many youtubers do resort tours walking around the grounds (check out tim tracker). The rooms are just rooms for the most part, some a little bigger than others with different furnishings, but i think the bigger feel about a resort are the grounds, restaurants, pools etc that might add or take away to your enjoyment.

So if you have the time I would first narrow down to your 2 favorite resorts and then plan a couple nights at each resort, make it a resort only trip so you can really get a feel about the resort you are considering buying. This way you will know for sure that it is the resort for you.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter