Creative Solutions For Older Kids Who Need To (but don't want to) Share a Bed on Vacation

We always use an air mattress when needed. We also tell the kids we get a bigger room, but it means a shorter stay. This usually convinces them just to share.

If you find something not-so-packable, you can always order something from Amazon or Walmart or Target, etc. and have it delivered to the resort. Leave it behind or pay it forward on a thread here:flower:

When my boys were teenagers and had to share a bed to make the vacation affordable, they used to put pillows down the center of the bed to separate themselves. I would get an extra sheet and blanket for one of them so that they each had independent bedding, and it seemed to work well. Ear foamies were essential for all since one of them has long, odd conversations to no one in particular in his sleep.

We have an “air sofa bed” that we purchased on Amazon (very inexpensively) It is pretty durable and we’ve used it a few times for kids sleepovers.
I use a small fan to inflate it. It folds up small enough to throw into a suitcase - weighs less then 2 pounds.

It’s kind of hard to describe what exactly it is so i’m posting a link to it - it is absolutely the most ridiculous thing i’ve ever bought on amazon - but it’s been a lifesaver a few times. lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07T3P6P6X/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Last edited:
Is just request extra sheets and blankets. Roll a blanket and separate the bed in half. Give each one their own top sheet and blanket

When we stayed at BWV, we brought one of those egg-crate type foam mattress toppers for DD, as she was sleeping on the sofa bed. I bought a LARGE compressible bag at Dollar Tree, folded the topper into it, and sucked all the air out with my vacuum. It weighed almost nothing and didn't take up much space in the suitcase. DD said it made the sofa bed much more comfortable. We left it at BWV when we left. Perhaps you could try something like this as a topper for your air beds? Also, I have found that people try to fill the air beds completely to make them more firm, but they are actually more comfortable if they aren't full-full. Fill the mattress, lie down on it, and let air out until you reach your comfort-zone.

I would not fly with an air mattress because of the weight. But I would purchase one from the local Walmart and uber over to pick it up and then leave it behind when flying home. It's better than spending $1000 extra dollars to switch resorts. lol.

Totally feel your pain, we we have been in the same boat for many years. My kids, 16 and 9, detest sharing a bed. It's not even about being opposite genders, they just accuse the other of kicking, being generally restless, and stealing the covers. And DH is far too clingy to ever agree to share with one of them instead of me, lol!

I've also oscillated on how accommodating I'm willing to be for their pickiness. I mean, when I was growing up, travelling always meant that me, my older brother, and younger sister were all going to be sharing one bed. And back then, it was always a double instead of a queen. It never even occurred to me to complain about it, that's just how it was. So, maybe they're a little spoiled. But, like many of you have mentioned, when they don't sleep well, everyone is miserable and suffers.

I usually spend (i.e. waste) a lot of time before trips searching for options that involve three separate sleeping options, but most of the time I can't find it and we just end up bringing an air mattress. I always ask at check in if they have rollaways, but more often than not, they don't. The most recent on we have been using is this one:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-QuickBed-Lite-Slim-Twin-Skinny-Airbed-White/40703442
It is very small and lightweight, and we have no problem flying with it, even when we are only bringing carry-ons. It's reasonably comfortable - DS actually complains less about this one than some of the bulkier ones we have used in the past.

I HATED sharing a bed with my sister when we went on vacation. My grandma had a genius solution when we stayed at her house - we still had to share the sofa bed, but she made the bed with 2 sets of sheets and blankets so we each had our own. It made a world of difference. When we stayed in a hotel, my mom did the same thing. I'm guessing she requested an extra set of sheets and blankets to remake the bed...or maybe we traveled with our own? But it made sharing something we could do. Good luck!
This is a genius idea! Also, use one of those pool noodle things down the centre of the bed under the bottom sheets to divide the two halves. Lightweight for packing and does the job :)

We have an “air sofa bed” that we purchased on Amazon (very inexpensively) It is pretty durable and we’ve used it a few times for kids sleepovers.
I use a small fan to inflate it. It folds up small enough to throw into a suitcase - weighs less then 2 pounds.

It’s kind of hard to describe what exactly it is so i’m posting a link to it - it is absolutely the most ridiculous thing i’ve ever bought on amazon - but it’s been a lifesaver a few times. lol.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07T3P6P6X/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I got one of these for Mother's day and it is *so* comfortable! Never thought of bringing it with to use as a bed, I mostly use it to read in the yard.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter