CRITIQUE My Itineraries PLEASE

Barefoot On A Plane

Mickey Mousin' for Mari
I am touring (5 People) Disneyland and DCA on June 9 and June 10, 2024 WITH GENIE+ (1 park per day). I have attached my plans for each day. PLEASE let me know if you would make any changes or see any thing that will just not work out based on your experience.

**I Have abbreviated some words to fit on small index card**

DISNEYLAND
GOAL: BEAT LL LINES BEFORE 10AM
NO GENIE+ BEFORE 9am!!! RESIST THE TEMPTATIONDISNEYLAND
ARRIVE 7:10am @ DISNEYLAND(8) GENIE+ SELECTION
ROPEDROP: TOMORROWLAND (direction: Right)(9) TIME FILLER
8:05 (1) STANDBY SPACE MOUNTAIN (TMRW)(10) REPEAT (8) & (9) TIL CLOSE
8:15 (2) STANDBY MATTERHORN (TMRW)INDIVIDUAL LL:
8:40 (3) STANDBY BIG THUNDER MTN (FRNTIER)- RISE OF RESISTANCE
9:00 (4) STANDBY INDY (ADVNTR) 20 min wait
GENIE+ FOR 1ST SELECTION (MMRR or PIRATES)GENIE+ OPTIONS:
9:25 (5) STANDBY HAUNTED (NEW ORL SQ)- PIRATES (ADVTR)
9:40 (6) STANDBY SMUG RUN (if @ 20 min)- MMRR (TOONTWN)
OR MMRR (30 min wait)- JUNGLE CRUISE (ADVTR)
10:00 (7) STANDBY TOAD OR ALICE (FNTSY)- SMUG RUN (STR WRS)
RIDE 1ST GENIE+ RESERVATION- AUTOPIA
MAKE 2ND GENIE+ SELECTION- BUZZ LIGHTYEAR
LUNCH- SMALL WRLD ENCANTO

CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
WAIT TIL GENIE+ WINDOWS ARE 8:30-9:30am (OPTIMAL: 8:45-9:45)
THIS WILL LET US TO RIDE STANDBY FOR 90 MINCALIFORNIA ADVENTURE
ARRIVE 7:00am @ CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE13) AVENGERS CHARACTER PERFORMANCE (BEFORE 4:30)
1) GET GENIE+ FOR SPIDERMAN14) DINNER @ FLO'S V8 CAFÉ
2) ROPEDROP: RADIATOR SPRINGS15) CARS LAND "SH-BOOM" LIGHTING
3) STANDBY GUARDIANS (DO 2X IF POSSIBLE)16) STANDBY MATER or LUIGI'S
4) STANDBY TOY STORY (others @ Pixar if time)17) RIDE Indiv. LL RADIATOR SPRINGS
5) STANDBY INCREDICOASTER18) RAD SPR 30 MIN BEFORE CLOSING
6) STANDBY GRIZZLY RIVER RUN (GET WET)
7) RIDE GENIE+ RESERVATION SPIDERMANINDIVIDUAL LL:
8) GET GENIE+ FOR SOARIN' or MONSTERS INC- RADIATOR SPRINGS RACERS
9) STANDBY LITTLE MERMAIDGENIE+ OPTIONS:
LUNCH: PARADISE GRILL or BOARDWALK PIZZA-SPIDERMAN -TOY STORY MANIA
10) RIDE GENIE+ Rsrv. SOARIN' or MONSTERS-SOARIN' -MONSTERS INC
11) GET GENIE+ FOR SOARIN' OR MONSTERS-LITTLE MERM -INCREDICOASTER
12) BUY Indiv. LL FOR RADIATOR SPRINGS-GUARDIANS -GRIZZLY -GOOFY SKY

So a few thoughts, Haunted Mansion won't be open while you're there. From most accounts, it won't be back till September. Jungle Cruise does not offer a Genie+ option. I wouldn't do Smuggler's Run and Rise at different times. That's a lot of back and forth walking.

I would rope drop Guardians and then go to Spiderman or rope drop Incredicoaster since you're already getting the ILL for Radiator Racers. Unless you just really want to ride it twice.

As others have mentioned, Haunted Mansion is closed.

I think it might be better to just have a list of what you want to do in order, but with a backup plan. If something goes down it would mess up your whole itinerary, so perhaps think of what you'd do if that happens. Move on to the next ride? Go on something else that's close by? Take a little break?

If you're definitely getting LL for Radiator Springs, you don't necessarily need to rope drop. That's sometimes down in the morning, plus loads of other people will be trying to rope drop it, too.

When we've rope dropped DCA we've been able to walk on Guardians twice, plus walk on Spiderman. I guess it can depend on the day, though.

I like your dinner idea for DCA! I might copy that lol.

So, the thing with LL is, you can select one asap, but then keep changing it to a later time to use when the park is busier. That gives you time to do other stuff while it’s quieter before 10.

I’d also start with guardians since you’d like to ride twice. Frankly I’d save RSR for after dark since it’s looks so nice.

Toy Story has a deceptively long line. Definitely use Genie+. Incredicoaster & GRR also have G+. I don’t do standby.

I’ll also agree with others that this level of planning isn’t necessary for DL. Things go down often here.

Are you watching world of color? Get a VR for that if you’re not doing dessert party.

You are making a mistake by not booking a LL right away. You should make a LL selection right upon scanning into the park at 7:30, then modify it to a different time for when you're ready to use it. If you pick Indy or Matterhorn for 8:00, you might get lucky and get a gold tier MEP to accelerate your LL for the rest of the day. If you wait until 8:30 or 9:00, many of the return times for the most popular attractions will already be several hours into the future and you might have to wait 2 hours to get your next LL pick. This reduces the value you get out of Genie+ by being able to select fewer attractions over the course of the day.

Since you also mentioned attractions that don't have LL at DLR, you might be thinking about the WDW system. The DLR and WDW Genie+ systems work VERY differently (DLR's is much better). I recommend reading up and watching videos about the DLR system. There's a great sticky thread on these boards about Genie+ at DLR.

I'll disclose that I haven't been back to DLR since they made Genie+ selection times moveable. We were operating under you can only do it once or you have to cancel. So saving the Genie+ selections for later to ride some rides again was our priority.

I will share a trick I've seen on Indy. If the wait time is 30+ minutes, walk around to where the queue is viewable. If the line is small outside or there's no line at all, get on. The Genie+ selection only helps you bypass the outdoor queue. You are merged into the main queue after you get to the door of the Temple. So the only benefit is skipping that portion. If you go early, it's really not an issue.

Last edited:
I'm gonna be honest. You can plan your day to the second and it will all go out the window the moment a ride goes down or if it ends up being a longer wait that expected.

Look at your itinerary as a guideline of what you want to ride but don't stress out when you need to deviate (and you will).

Thank you ALL for the help and suggestions…keep ‘em coming 😁 I will definitely modify my plans with your suggestions in mind. And about the “over planning” I know…I know it’s gonna get some wrinkles due to unforeseen things but I just want to make it great for my kids. My wife was the planner on all our Disney trips (we’ve only been to DW) and she isn’t here with us anymore. She had a bout with Brain cancer and passed away Aug. 2, 2023 and we want make it the best trip IN HER HONOR.

AGAIN, thanks for all of the help. Take care, all.

So, the thing with LL is, you can select one asap, but then keep changing it to a later time to use when the park is busier. That gives you time to do other stuff while it’s quieter before 10.

I’d also start with guardians since you’d like to ride twice. Frankly I’d save RSR for after dark since it’s looks so nice.

Toy Story has a deceptively long line. Definitely use Genie+. Incredicoaster & GRR also have G+. I don’t do standby.

I’ll also agree with others that this level of planning isn’t necessary for DL. Things go down often here.

Are you watching world of color? Get a VR for that if you’re not doing dessert party.
Great advice. Thanks.

I’m sorry for your loss. If you lower your expectations just a little and go with the flow it will be the perfect trip. If you must wait a little longer or go through a queue, maybe you spot a little treasure in the line. If Indy goes down for the whole trip, you’ll still be ok. Have an awesome DLR visit!

Thank you ALL for the help and suggestions…keep ‘em coming 😁 I will definitely modify my plans with your suggestions in mind. And about the “over planning” I know…I know it’s gonna get some wrinkles due to unforeseen things but I just want to make it great for my kids. My wife was the planner on all our Disney trips (we’ve only been to DW) and she isn’t here with us anymore. She had a bout with Brain cancer and passed away Aug. 2, 2023 and we want make it the best trip IN HER HONOR.

Oh that changes things a bit. Feel free to disregard the following advice if it's not the type of trip your family wants.

I've often read the advice of "have everyone in the group pick 3 things they want to do, everything else is a nice bonus" If it's in your wife's honor, maybe you can each pick 3 things she loved/each loved to do with her. With that list you can prioritize those and everything else you get done is a bonus. Doesn't need to be rides either, it can be a show or a specific food item.

I would also suggest you research the various strategies that can be used for G+. We've had folks being able to ride every ride in a day with those!

I'm so very sorry for your loss. I hope you enjoy your trip.

GRIZZLY RIVER RUN (GET WET)
Make sure you bring a change of clothes or, at the minimum, a change of shoes. We usually change into clothes that can get wet and put on cheap flip flops for the ride, then change back into our regular clothes and shoes afterwards. If you get really wet (and at least one person in your party will), it won't be fun on Webslingers or Soarin.

Last edited:
I think its hard to come up with a plan like you have and have it actually work. Rides break down. ALOT. One ride breakdown and your whole plan is gone.

You can certainly give it a shot but its rare that it will come to fruition as you have it planned out. Give it a go but prepare to deviate from it.

I've often read the advice of "have everyone in the group pick 3 things they want to do, everything else is a nice bonus" If it's in your wife's honor, maybe you can each pick 3 things she loved/each loved to do with her. With that list you can prioritize those and everything else you get done is a bonus. Doesn't need to be rides either, it can be a show or a specific food item.
That's a wonderful and thoughtful idea, Starlite. I think that approach would make for a very meaningful trip for the family.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter