Crock pot crazy

My son is lactose intollerant, so many of the recipes I fix in my crockpot are not going to work for him. I'd love to see more recipes without milk and cheese. Anyone have more that would be good for him to eat?

MerryPoppins said:
My son is lactose intollerant, so many of the recipes I fix in my crockpot are not going to work for him. I'd love to see more recipes without milk and cheese. Anyone have more that would be good for him to eat?

I actually left the cheese out of the chicken & stuffing recipe yesterday. We prefer it without. Will that work for you?

That'd work. Unfortunately so many recipes that I have include cream soups and cheeses. Those can make him sick. I'll have to go back through this whole thread looking for recipes that would work. I'm looking with a more critical eye these days. :teeth:

I pretty much never put milk and cheese in my crock...just because my recipes don't call for it, or I don't have any cream of mushroom soup in my pantry...

Ok, here's my experiment from the other day:

country style boneless pork ribs (really you could use any kind of pork, that's just what I had)
1 bottle beer (I used Pyramid Hefeweiszen)
1 orange, quartered
1 large red onion
1 envelope dry onion soup mix
black pepper

spray the crock with Pam or use a liner
slice the onion and spread on the bottom of the crock
place ribs on top
sprinkle dry soup mix on ribs
pour beer around meat (not on top or the soup mix will wash off)
squeeze oranges over all, and put them around the meat
sprinkle black pepper to your liking on top

cook on LOW for 11 hrs. using a turkey baster, skim off the excess fat. make a flour/water slurry and thicken the juice. cook for 30 more min on high.

Serve with rice/bread/whatever...tastes best if you put barbecue sauce on top!

We just had this tonight and it's so yum.

Beef Stroganoff

1 lb. beef stew meat (we use the kind that's already cubed)
1 large jar beef gravy
8 oz. sour cream
1/2 package egg noodles

Combine meat and gravy in crockpot. Cook 6-8 hours on low. Cook noodles and drain. Add sour cream to gravy/meat mixture in crockpot; stir to combine and break the meat apart. Serve over noodles.

You can also add mushrooms, fresh or canned.

Okay - enough lurking...here I go:

White Chicken Chili

1 package of Tyson Southwest Seasoned chicken strips - dethawed and coarsely chopped
1 large jar Randalls White beans (or 2 cans great northern beans)
1 jar mild salsa
1 1lb. block of good monteray jack cheese (cheap brands don't melt well) - cut into cubes for easy melting
2 cans chicken broth

Combine all in a crock pot and cook 4 -6 hours on low. I make this when I know I will be at home because you need to stir it up every so often to melt the cheese.This tastes just like Ruby Tuesday's White chicken chili..... :thumbsup2

left210 said:
For those of you who cook your meat ahead of time and freeze it, what do you freeze it in? Freezer bags or containers? What brand do you find does the best so it doesnt get freezer burned? I have a new freezer but it tends to even get ice crystals on things that are not even opened.

I missed this question when you first posted it. Just in case you never got an answer somewhere else....

I do this with both ground beef & chicken all the time. I just use either the store brand or Zip-Loc bags. Heck, I even use Wal-Marts store brand on-freezer bags! LOL It's better to use the freezer bags I guess, but even the regular ones work. If it's going to sit in the freezer for more than a couple months, I'll put the smaller bags in a gallon bag to help.

I squeeze out all the excess air that I can and I don't get ice crystals if I use the meat in under 3 or 4 months. If you're getting ice on things that haven't been stored, first check your seal. Close the lid/door with a sheet of paper in it & pull it out. There should be at least some drag. Do it along the entire sealing strip. If there is a spot where you have less drag, you may not have a good seal & that's why you're getting the ice crystals.

Another thing, since this is a new freezer - has anyone told you that you're not supposed to leave the freezer largely empty? They don't run correctly/efficiently when they're not full. Putting some empty cardboard boxes in the empty space should help. If you can't find boxes the right size, lightly squishing brown paper grocery bags will do the same thing.

I hope you've been enjoying that freezer! :teeth:

tarheelmjfan - We don't often do dessert here, but thoroughly enjoy the Pumpkin Job recipe someone posted here...especially at this time of year! It's great with vanilla ice cream! :teeth:

piratesmate said:
tarheelmjfan - We don't often do dessert here, but thoroughly enjoy the Pumpkin Job recipe someone posted here...especially at this time of year! It's great with vanilla ice cream! :teeth:

I missed that one somehow. Thanks for the heads up. I'm definitely going back to look for it. ::yes:: In my house, dessert is more important than dinner. :teeth:

I just realized that it might not have been added to this thread. Here's the recipe just in case:

Pumpkin Job

16 oz pumpkin
2½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp vanilla
1 can evaporated milk
¾ c sugar
½ c Jiffy mix (or Bisquik)
2 Tbl margarine
2 eggs

Spray crockery with non-stick spray. Beat ingredients together until smooth with a hand mixer. Pour into crockery. Cook on Low 6-8 hours, High 3-4 hours. Top with cool whip or ice cream. Optional: add 2 apples, peeled & sliced. Serves 6

piratesmate said:
I just realized that it might not have been added to this thread. Here's the recipe just in case:

Pumpkin Job

16 oz pumpkin
2½ tsp pumpkin pie spice
2 tsp vanilla
1 can evaporated milk
¾ c sugar
½ c Jiffy mix (or Bisquik)
2 Tbl margarine
2 eggs

Spray crockery with non-stick spray. Beat ingredients together until smooth with a hand mixer. Pour into crockery. Cook on Low 6-8 hours, High 3-4 hours. Top with cool whip or ice cream. Optional: add 2 apples, peeled & sliced. Serves 6

Thank :) It sounds good! I'll give it a try this weekend or next week.

I tried this recipe the other night and the family really liked it.

Crockpot Pepper Steak

2 lbs. beef round steak sliced thin (note* Fresh raw beef that has not been frozen is easily cut after it's left in the freezer for a few minutes to firm up.)

1 large green pepper, sliced thin

1 large red bell pepper, sliced thin

1 medium onion, sliced

1 cup beef broth

2 tbsp. soy sauce

1/2 tsp. ground ginger

1 1/2 tsp. minced garlic

1 tsp. Worcetershire sauce

In a skillet, cook beef until just browned. Place onion and peppers in bottom of slow cooker; top with beef. Combine remaining ingredients and pour over top. Cover and cook on low heat for 8 hours or high heat for 4 - 5 hours. Serve over rice.

Swiss Steak

I use one package of round steak - any thin cut of meat will do approx 1 pound

mix flour, pepper, onion powder, & garlic coat the pieces of steak and fry in olive oil till browned. I do this the night before and cut all my veggies.
pop it all in crock pot in the morning.

I put in 3 carrots cut in chunks.
2 celery stalks cut in chunks.
2 medium onions sliced thin.
2 green peppers chunked.
1 -28oz can crushed tomatoes. I doctor the crushed tomatoes with a touch of milk and sugar. 1/2 sauce on bottom of crock pot. all veggies added then rest of crushed tomatoes. put the meat on top of that. Then one can of diced tomatoes on top. I add more spices (we like spices) salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder. Cook on low for 8 hrs. Meat just falls apart.
You can cook rice or egg noodles to put this over. I have tried cooking the noodles in the crockpot 30 minutes before its done. My family doesn't like the sauce getting thick and soaked up by the noodles so I have to do mine separate.

Super Easy Ham BBQ's (doesn't sound good, but it is)

3 to 4 lbs chipped ham (yes, I'm from Pittsburgh :thumbsup2 )

Equal parts of ketchup (yes, it's definitely Heinz :thumbsup2 ) and cola of your choice... I use enough of both to coat the ham well.

Few tablespoons of minced dried onions

Cook on high for a few hours or on low for a little longer.

Serve on your favorite sandwich bun.

poohbear158 said:
Super Easy Ham BBQ's (doesn't sound good, but it is)

3 to 4 lbs chipped ham (yes, I'm from Pittsburgh :thumbsup2 )

Equal parts of ketchup (yes, it's definitely Heinz :thumbsup2 ) and cola of your choice... I use enough of both to coat the ham well.

Few tablespoons of minced dried onions

Cook on high for a few hours or on low for a little longer.

Serve on your favorite sandwich bun.

I just have to tell you that my extended family is from the Pittsburgh area and I'm stranded in CA. Whenever I visit I HAVE to have chipped ham. Deli's out here think I'm nuts but they just can't slice it right and everyone is so stinking health conscious that I don't the the right flavor or texture. We went to my cousins wedding in June and I bought 3 lbs and froze it in 1/4 lb blocks, carried it on the plane and am now enjoying it!
CHIPPED HAM RULES! :love:

Does anyone have a crock pot recipe for chicken pot pie? I already had my DH pick up refrigerated biscuits. (I had minor surgery this week & need to do everything the easist way possible.) I mostly need to know the best way to prepare it for the biscuits to end up browned & a bit crunchy on top. TIA :)

PS: Sorry, if this has been discussed. I don't remember seeing this recipe on here though.

Creamy Mushroom Chicken

1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts
1 pkg dry chicken gravy mix
1 can mushroom pieces or 1 container fresh (I buy sliced, but your choice)
10.75 oz can cream of mushroom soup (I use Healthy Request for low sodium and fat)
1 c white wine (dry is better than sweet)
8 oz pkg cream cheese, softened (I use fat free since it's mixed in and you can't tell)

*Place chicken in bottom of slow cooker. Sprinkle gravy mix and mushrooms on top. In separate bowl, combine soup & wine, then pour over chicken.
* Cover and cook on Low 8 hours.
* About 30 minutes before serving, remove chicken, cut up and keep warm. Stir in cream cheese, whisk until smooth, then return chicken to crock pot.
* Serve over noodles or rice.

Such great ideas!!! Wish I would have found this sooner!!!!! Thanks for all the great recipes!!!!!! :mickeyjum :donald:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter