Crock pot crazy

I just posted these to the Soups & Stews thread, but wanted to cross-post them here. I keep forgetting about them when I think "crockpot meal". LOL

Ham, Cheese, Broccoli & Potato Soup

5 potatoes, peeled & cut into small cubes
1½ c ham cut into the same size cubes
1 c broccoli florets cut very very fine...almost shaved.
2 cans cheddar cheese soup
4 cans milk
¼ tsp paprika

Mix milk and soup in crockpot with paprika till smooth. Add remaining ingredients. Cook all day on low.

= = = = = = = = =
Winter Corn Chowder

2 c diced potatoes, waxy variety
6 slices cooked, crumbled bacon
½ c chopped white onions
1 lb frozen corn
1 tsp pepper
2 Tbl all-purpose flour
2 Tbl butter
3 c milk

Melt the butter in the stoneware and add butter. Add the milk to the stoneware and stir until combined with flour. Add all remaining ingredients to the slow cooker except for the potatoes. Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours or HIGH for 1½ to 2 hours. During the last 20 minutes of cooking, add the potatoes to the chowder and allow to cook until the potatoes heat through.

I just found another recipe in the Pumpkin thread:

Slow Cooker Pumpkin Pie Pudding

- 15 oz pumpkin (canned)
- 12 oz evaporated milk (canned)
- ¾ cup sugar
- ½ cup buttermilk baking mix
- 2 eggs lightly beaten
- 2 tbsp melted butter or margarine
- 1 tbsp pumpkin pie spice
- 2 tsp vanilla
- Whipped cream

Mix together all ingredients except whipped cream.
Pour mix into greased slow cooker.
Cover and cook on Low for 6-7 hours, or until mix is 160°
Serve topped with Whipped Cream.

This was amazing!! Yummy!

I want to try a pasta/lasagne type recipe on saturday. Thinking on "Almost Lasagne" unless anyone has another suggestions.

BTW should there be a spaghetti sauce in with the AL, or am I just being blind to it?

That's what you get for Dis-ing at work :blush: talk about can't see for looking:rolleyes1

Free tour of sunny Sidcup for the person who spots the idiot :blush: (travel to Sidcup not included)

ETA does it really need 3 jars of sauce :earseek: How many servings will this make, do i need to halve it for my 4l crockpot?

CROCK POT SCALLOPED POTATOES

Low - 8 hours, High - 4 hours.

"Layer" sliced potatoes, onions, butter, flour (lightly sprinkled) and salt and pepper as you would for an oven dish. Add 1 can of evaporated milk, and 1 cup of water. Cover and cook.

With Ham - Layer chunks of ham into layers of sliced potatoes. Pour 1 can of evaporated milk and 1 cup water along sides of crock pot. (Fluid should be two-thirds up side of pot.) Cover and cook.

With Pork Chops - On top of layered potatoes, put 6 or less chops. Mix 1 can evaporated milk with 1 can of mushroom soup (season with onions, oregano, salt and pepper to your taste); pour mixture over chops and cook, covered.

I made this last night with the end of the bag of frozen potatoes (probably about 750g, or 1 1/2 lb) layered with a red onion, topped by rump steak. I had some home-made broccoli and smoked cheese soup in the freezer (a large bowlful - big single serving) so I mixed that with some left over creme fraiche and a little water and poured it over, then left it to itself for 7 hours.

The potatoes were very soft, th steak was cooked right through but slightly chewy (next time I will put it un the middle of the potatoes or on the bottom) but it was all very tasty:goodvibes I thought I was going to have some potatoes left over for DH to have for lunch but DS(15) went back twice until there were none left:lmao: I think next time (depending on the soup) I'll add more herbs or possibly a spoonful of Dijon mustard with the soup - THAT's what it needed:idea:

And neither kid noticed that it had broccoli (the soup was pureed smooth) or that smoked cheese was used (as they don't like that):lmao: :rotfl2: :rotfl:

ETA I've got the Betty Crocker crockpot lasagne in at the oment (the thought of egg in lasagne freaked me too much for the one on here :earseek: ) but I just used one jar of sauce, plys a small tin of tomato juice (the size you get on airplanes) an a little salsa left over from last fajita night, and a little water. Looks OK so far - I thohgt 3 jars was a lot for one little crockpot (especially given they're not on special offer this week ;-) )

ETA again - it was yummy :banana: I could probably have added an extra jar of sauce, or else cooked some pasta first. What I love most about the crockpot is I started it this morning before everything got crazy and didn't have to remember about putting ovens on etc. But the 4 of us ate the lot up - are we greedy or does BC expect you to eat tiny portions?

I tried a new crock pot recipe for lasagna over the weekend. It was easy and good, both my DD and her BFF liked it.

Crock Pot Lasagna

lb ground beef
29 oz can tomato sauce
8 oz uncooked lasagna noodles
4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1 tsp onion powder

1. Brown the ground beef in skillet and drain. Stir in tomato sauce and onion powder. Mix well.

2. Combine both cheeses in bowl.

3. Spread 1/4 of the meat mixture in bottom of crock pot. Arrange 1/3 of the noodles (I broke them up first), place 1/3 of the cheese mixture on top of noodles.

4. Repeat layers, ending with remaining 1/4 meat mixture.

Cover and cook on low for 4 hours.

Howdy DISer's!!! :wave2:

Quick question....if my recipe is calling for 2 lbs of stew beef for this crockpot casserole...how many people would that feed? :goodvibes

8 people. I use 1lb for 4 (generous) portions.

THANKS, perfect as I will have 6 adults!!!! One being my DAD, who will want seconds!!!! :thumbsup2

Family is coming for 8 days over the holidays and I will be using my crock pot ALLOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :goodvibes

Does anyone have a good Asian style recipes? I can do teriyaki chicken but that get old. I need some inspiration.

I have a pound of skinless/bonelss chicken breasts that I'm getting ready to put in the crock pot. I want to eat in about 3-4 hours. Should I cook on High or am I ok going with Low setting? I just have them with a jar of salsa and can of cheddar cheese soup.

Thanks

I have a pound of skinless/bonelss chicken breasts that I'm getting ready to put in the crock pot. I want to eat in about 3-4 hours. Should I cook on High or am I ok going with Low setting? I just have them with a jar of salsa and can of cheddar cheese soup.

Thanks

I'd go high if you want to eat them that soon..........

Anyone have a good crockpot recipe for a cheesy potato soup? I'd like a creamy one & if it includes ham or bacon, even better. DD has been asking for one since Grandma made some but it wasn't crockpot & it took way more time & 'babysitting' on the stovetop than I'm comfortable with.

How about a regular soup and stir in the cheese at the end? Cheese can go stringy with long heating. Corckpot Lady had some good soup recipes:thumbsup2

Has anyone ever done this? I love fish pie but DH doesn't like it because he knows the mound of washing up it represents (even if I've already done it, the thought of 3 saucepans makes him:headache: And I don't like the washing up either:rolleyes1 ) I had a thought today that I could put cut up fish in the bottom, add any veg, pour over soup and top with scalloped potatoes, and it should work OK. But how long would it take? Less than chicken?

Any ideas welcome! I've got a load of fish I'm not cooking because its too cold for "light" stuff and I've not got time for fish pie.

Cooking time is 2-3 hours on HIGH and 3-5 hours on LOW the smaller the pieces of fish, the less cooking time.

So with those guidelines, you can adapt other recipes to be crockpot recipes for fish.

So says the google search.

African Fish Stew

2 whole fish - tilapia, bream, basa or similiar
flour - to coat fish
salt, black pepper
4 tbspns vegetable oil
two onions - peeled and finely chopped
1 can tomatoes - chopped
1 tbspn tomato puree
1/4 pint (125 ml) fish stock or water
cayenne pepper to taste

Cut the fish into sections to fit into the crockpot.

Season the flour and coat each piece of fish.

Heat the oil in a frying pan and quickly fry each piece of fish - then put the fish into the crockpot.

Fry the onions until softened and mix in the tomatoes, tomato puree and stock or water.

Bring the sauce to the boil and taste - season with cayenne.

Pour the sauce over the fish and cook on LOW for 4 - 6 hours.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter