Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Demand being low, and the property being a potential death trap are two very different scenarios. If there's no demand, and I can use my points and choose not to, Disney keeps my money...no worries. If they cannot provide a reasonably safe environment, they are affecting my ability to make that decision. It is reckless.

Im not a lawyer nor do I play one on the Internet, if they bent DVC policies because they admit they cannot provide a reasonably safe environment, would that not have further reaching implications for them?

I’m missing my last chance to sneak in a Disney “infant”, as my son turns 3 this fall. So I hear ya. Boooooooooo.
If we don't get to go in December we will also miss the 3 year old cut off. We are supposed to go because my oldest is turning 5 and a month later my youngest will be 3.

Im not a lawyer nor do I play one on the Internet, if they bent DVC policies because they admit they cannot provide a reasonably safe environment, would that not have further reaching implications for them?
Not sure. I think a pandemic is an extreme circumstance. Nobody planned for extended closures of this magnitude when the laws were written, I assume. If an earthquake wiped out portions of Disney and they had to rebuild, what would happen then? Would members be compensated by Disney? By insurance? What would happen? Good question.

Not sure. I think a pandemic is an extreme circumstance. Nobody planned for extended closures of this magnitude when the laws were written, I assume. If an earthquake wiped out portions of Disney and they had to rebuild, what would happen then? Would members be compensated by Disney? By insurance? What would happen? Good question.

If a DVC resort was hit by an earthquake the members would be responsible for paying for the repairs because they own the resort. Insurance would pay what it covers and anything left over (deductible etc) would be paid by the members of that resort.

What do you estimate the resort occupancy to be at this time? Just interested how full the resorts run despite the parks being shutdown. Watched a few vloggers at the resorts and resorts looked pretty empty the past few days.
When we got to OKW Monday there were maybe 3 cars in the parking lot for our bank of rooms

By Tuesday there were about 10

By Wed close to 25

We drove around the entire property of OKW looking at all the parking lots. If I had to guess I would say when we left on Wednesday afternoon there were maybe 100-150 people staying at the hotel

When we got to OKW Monday there were maybe 3 cars in the parking lot for our bank of rooms

By Tuesday there were about 10

By Wed close to 25

We drove around the entire property of OKW looking at all the parking lots. If I had to guess I would say when we left on Wednesday afternoon there were maybe 100-150 people staying at the hotel
But is that really surprising with no Parks open?

Don't you see how this is a public relations nightmare for DVC? I get that we bought timeshares, but when I bought 20 years ago, DVCs pitch was that they "weren't a timeshare". Now, I'm not naive. I know what I bought, but if they remain open during an outbreak, and tell me that I have every opportunity to use my points...it's a really bad look. There are many creative solutions that they could use to save face and keep members happy; forcing them to make a decision to visit when it is dangerous to do so is NOT one of them. I am frankly sick of them using the built-in "timeshare laws" excuse. No law is stopping them from "buying" back points, throwing annual passes at members as compensation, or (and this may violate the law...not sure) giving all affected DVC members an extra year on the end of the contract. The later would be a huge PR win and would quell any reasonable outrage. Do the right thing!

This entire situation is a struggle for all areas of Disney in the PR department. I tend to take the approach of what I did and did not sign up for and go from there. If I am entitled to something, based on POS, that is what I expect. If something is decided above and beyond that, great.

If a DVC resort was hit by an earthquake the members would be responsible for paying for the repairs because they own the resort. Insurance would pay what it covers and anything left over (deductible etc) would be paid by the members of that resort.
That’s not quite right.
The members are not on the hook for reconstruction costs.
And it’s been a while since I went through the documents, but as I recall, there is a pretty robust force majeure clause that gives them pretty wide latitude to deny member access and benefits in times of crisis.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter