Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
They’ve already figured out how to turn the screws on out of state passholders - the three days of park pass reservations essentially pushes out of state passholders into resort hotel rooms. So they are really in a winning scenario by continuing to allow out of state APs who already pay the highest prices for the two top tier passes on offer, plus now to ensure park reservations for each day of a weeklong stay, you need to be staying onsite.

The AP cancellation thread is full of complaints from out of state passholders who (justifiably, IMO) are upset that their usual vacation plan of staying offsite and using APs as entry media has been disrupted. Disney’s cancellation options give those folks who were likely to stay offsite and use the AP a middling number of times without producing the onsite revenue an option to remove themselves from the AP pool. I don’t think it’s that they aren’t going to offer out of state APs - more that they will offer them on such terms that some who’ve enjoyed them in the past will self-select out of the AP pool.

Self-selecting out of an AP driven by the current non-Florida resident pricing may achieve the same end goal with the current reservation restrictions without having to increase the price. It goes back to my statement of non-Florida AP's generating more revenue due to ancillary expenditures beyond the AP (e.g. resort stays). They appear to drive those out of state AP's to stay onsite if you want to maximize your number of days using the AP, effectively.

I feel confident there is a set of algorithms they use plotting and injecting all the AP variables into an engine to track that maximized revenue model. In fact, I suspect it is updated daily.

Ah! I'm slow this morning.

I've never been on the Ferry! We've taken bus, monorail and boat launches, but never the Ferry. :)

I definitely recommend at least trying the ferry method at least once. I think it is a bit more relaxing and you get the breeze and get to take in your surroundings and just nice as you start approaching the entrance and see the Castle, etc.

Plus I took one of my favorite photos ever from the ferry (so I might be a bit biased)

I definitely recommend at least trying the ferry method at least once. I think it is a bit more relaxing and you get the breeze and get to take in your surroundings and just nice as you start approaching the entrance and see the Castle, etc.

Plus I took one of my favorite photos ever from the ferry (so I might be a bit biased)

View attachment 512157

The ferry is definitely special. First thing in the morning, the way the light hits the castle as you arrive. It's magical.

Great photo!

View attachment 512157

(Thats a wonderful picture)

To be honest, I think the Ferry is faster than the monorail as well. Only time I use the monorail is when I stay at the Poly. You’re never going to be more than 1 or 2 groups away from boarding, and they’re continuously flowing back and forth. With the monorail, you could be 4 or 5 groups back (coming or going from TTC) and theres really no telling how long you’ll wait between monorails. And thats before the reduced capacity of people aboard the monorail during this period.

It shouldn’t just be a free for all, though.

Clearly, mask and distancing enforcement is an issue at Springs. They can enforce that as a health issue, just like they would if someone was urinating on the sidewalk. And even if someone goes and plans to follow the rules, it’s obvious others won’t. And that’s why enforcement is needed.

If people can’t adhere to mask and distancing rules at Springs, they shouldn’t be there. And if there are too many people there to achieve proper distancing, Disney needs to do something about that.

There is inherent risk in participating in any kind of mass gathering at Disney right now, but from numerous reports, there certainly seems to be an enforcement issue at Springs.

Unfortunately because Springs is a free hangout, there will be issues there. People are willing to take the risk to get tossed because they don’t have anything to lose. Different than getting tossed after paying lots of $$$$ to get into the parks.

MickeyWaffles post is bang on about people just not having anything to lose if they get tossed out of DS. But at least if they start tossing people out it could send a message to others and be some kind of deterrent.

We love hanging out in DS but we don't see ourselves spending much time there during our trip mid September, unless things change. We used to go to Raglan road multiple times during our stays and shop a lot but this time we only made 1 dinner reservation for Morimotos. We will probably just go in the morning or early afternoon to do some quick shopping before it gets too crowded.

Does anyone have any reports on how Morimotos has been with social distancing and the other guidelines?

EDIT: Corrected the quote I had and misread one of the posts I responded to.

Last edited:
Lack of cooperation leading to an overall return to normal implies the measures are being taken unnecessarily and spread will be slowed without having to do anything about it. That doesn’t make any sense given what we know about the virus, unless return to normal means accepting the chaos, suffering, and loss that comes with uncontrolled spread. And ironically, without the measures taken the return to normal is halted moreso by people unwilling or unable to go places (even work) and do things either because of safety or because they themselves are sick.

On the contrary, Disney’s strict rules and enforcement (for the most part) would facilitate more of a return to normal than anything else if they were applied everywhere. There is no way IMO Disney pulls back until the threat is significantly lowered. I hope they get a better handle on DS.

Lack of cooperation leading to an overall return to normal implies the measures are being taken unnecessarily and spread will be slowed without having to do anything about it. That doesn’t make any sense given what we know about the virus, unless return to normal means accepting the chaos, suffering, and loss that comes with uncontrolled spread. And ironically, without the measures taken the return to normal is halted moreso by people unwilling or unable to go places (even work) and do things either because of safety or because they themselves are sick.

On the contrary, Disney’s strict rules and enforcement (for the most part) would facilitate more of a return to normal than anything else if they were applied everywhere. There is no way IMO Disney pulls back until the threat is significantly lowered. I hope they get a better handle on DS.

I totally agree with you. I misread one of the replies to MickeyWaffles and have corrected my post.

Another possibility is the things that are being done have very little effect on what is going on and the virus is running its course. Debatable of course and no way of knowing either way.

Disney is doing the best and providing the safest experience and I have no doubt they will continue to be on the overabundance of safety.

Another possibility is the things that are being done have very little effect on what is going on and the virus is running its course. Debatable of course and no way of knowing either way.

Disney is doing the best and providing the safest experience and I have no doubt they will continue to be on the overabundance of safety.

I mean studies are showing more and more the effectiveness of masks, so no I don’t believe it’s a situation that could go either way. But that is not for this thread so 🤷🏻‍♀️

Not to go too far into the weeds here but I really doubt legal would let Disney just quietly stop enforcing its COVID related policies. When an entity takes on additional duties to keep guests safe, failing to discharge those obligations in a reasonable manner is the basis of negligence claims.

Unions in Florida don't have much power. I'm not saying Disney would ignore union complaints. I'm only saying legally speaking, Florida laws are not friendly to unions.

The problem is, theres not 100% compliance and agreement on the masks. Until there is, you’re going to continue to see these trends. Will the virus disappear just because everyone is wearing a mask? No. But it’ll slow the spread mightily. I’m sorry, but if wearing a mask for 6 weeks to basically eradicate this thing is all thats being asked, I’m not understanding why its so difficult to comply. I HATE wearing a mask. Having facial hair in the summer is bad enough let alone having a piece of cloth covering my nose and mouth. No one is enjoying wearing a mask, well maybe not no one I’m sure there are a few that enjoy is, but we’re wearing them for a reason. Whether it works or not, its worth doing it if the best case scenario is not having to still wear masks next summer

The problem is, theres not 100% compliance and agreement on the masks. Until there is, you’re going to continue to see these trends. Will the virus disappear just because everyone is wearing a mask? No. But it’ll slow the spread mightily. I’m sorry, but if wearing a mask for 6 weeks to basically eradicate this thing is all thats being asked, I’m not understanding why its so difficult to comply. I HATE wearing a mask. Having facial hair in the summer is bad enough let alone having a piece of cloth covering my nose and mouth. No one is enjoying wearing a mask, well maybe not no one I’m sure there are a few that enjoy is, but we’re wearing them for a reason. Whether it works or not, its worth doing it if the best case scenario is not having to still wear masks next summer

Mask + sunglasses = no need to wear make up (if that’s your thing) and nobody can see the faces you make at them

😂

Since I know this has been the hot topic to report on: In my experience mask compliance and enforcement at MK has been great everywhere I have been this morning. At one point when I went to put on my sunglasses I accidentally knocked my mask down so my nose peeked out and I was very quickly (but kindly) asked to replace it. So quickly that I was actively in the act of readjusting it when I was asked 😂 ( CM noticed and said thanks!), and this was all the way back in frontierland.

It was great in the bus line at Pop too. Also I'm loving the mobile food order process and ride waits. I got galactic hero twice this morning and was able to coach my mother into getting 600k+ which is arguably more of an achievement 😂 The little cavalcades are adorable. I haven't seen as many photopass people out as usual, but that is the only negative I can really think of right now.

Edit: 1:03pm Currently waiting for philharmagic (escaping rain) and even with everyone else in here also escaping rain I only see one guy with his nose fully out, which I think is pretty good for an AC haven full of (distanced) people during an afternoon rain. I'm honestly impressed with how much most people are actually following directions! It's so pleasant to have personal space at Disney 😂

Last edited:
Unions in Florida don't have much power. I'm not saying Disney would ignore union complaints. I'm only saying legally speaking, Florida laws are not friendly to unions.
I wasn’t even thinking about unions - I was thinking about guests. It seems like there are a lot of good reasons to continue to enforce the policies in place, and liability is just one of those considerations. My point was that a corporation like this has legal departments for good reason and I’m sure they’ve weighed in heavily on developing operations during this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter