Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't tell if that was sarcastic or not ;), but it's more than just rides/food, that's just how you simplified anyone else's experience with the parks. I already posted what else it "is" for us.

But no matter.
I understand what you're saying, I'm in the small group that enjoys UOR not because of it's coasters but the atmosphere and theming, and well, WWoHP :)
My nephew is 14 and he has always loved Epcot just for the food, he hates rides and shows :D

Totally agree. We bought APs when Universal was running the 15 months for 12 months promo, and we held off on activating them until our next trip in a couple of weeks. We are doing 5 nights at Universal in the middle of our WDW vacation. Our Disney APs expire in January and we won't be renewing until things change dramatically. Our visits from January on will be 100% Universal.....that's a lot of dining and lodging $$$ that Disney won't be getting from us. We've stayed 17 nights since they re-opened, and will be staying 17 more before our APs expire. I was REALLY trying to do my part to contribute to the job security of the CMs, but honestly, I don't think that it makes much difference right now. Disney is content to deliver an inferior product, sacrifice their lower paid workers to keep their executives whole, and gamble on those fans that have, until now (for me at least), continued to pay for the privilege of participating. :worried:
Disney isn't an inferior product. Universal has worse rides and worse food. Have a couple Dr Suess characters walking around and a Frog choir doesn't change that.

I understand what you're saying, I'm in the small group that enjoys UOR not because of it's coasters but the atmosphere and theming, and well, WWoHP :)
My nephew is 14 and he has always loved Epcot just for the food, he hates rides and shows :D

Now my mom loved the shows. Her and my Dad used to visit on their own and that's probably all they did! Unfortunately she can't come anymore, but she would be sad about it.

And I will definitely miss background music. Especially the band at AK (even though they were cut before this I think).

Just thinking about how many people FotLK can hold and now where are they going to go? I imagine the days of wandering into Nomad Lounge and sitting down immediately are over.

What's up with the Pandora performers? Have they been doing anything since reopen?
The people will go the same places they’ve gone since mid-July. And I do recall a trip report saying the days of wandering into Nomad are indeed done.

Unfortunately, I think Disney is realizing that the impacts of the virus will stretch long into 2021 if not 2022 and they felt it was the right time to do the layoffs now. Fauci said a couple days ago that the initial vaccine won’t make people immune from the virus, it will just lessen symptoms, meaning that masks, social distancing, and reduced traveling is here to stay for the foreseeable future. Knowing that, Disney realizes that DL won’t be opening at any time soon so they are making the cuts where they can. I’m hopeful that the laid off people can land at another park, or are able to wait out the lay off period and be rehired by Disney but I know that’s not likely. It’s a sad, but expected day.

Well no, you don't. You seem to questioning that anyone would really come to Disney "Just for rides and food", as if it's not true.

I think everyone agree that these cuts aren't good for anyone and that should be the final thought at the moment.

I didn’t really see his comments that way at all. I think the point is that many people will say that the cuts don’t really affect them when they do. I think many people also take in more entertainment than they realize they do because it’s just part of the atmosphere.

I love the fact that UOR and wdw manage to be similar but different. They focus on different things and have different priorities. They compliment each other.

AH-HA! You can use the health equity metric to jump tiers. Well that’s not rocket science. Bombard poor areas with testing. (I’m not being political, that’s literally what the HE metric measures and this is the response the state wants out of counties.)

ETA: NVM 😭 guess it’s just why they granted SF early advancement to yellow. Not an actual rule. (My county percentage positive is orange level and health equity rate is red and we are still purple because our 8/100k rate.)

Last edited:
There has been a lot of back and forth in here about whether or not demand had returned or is ramping up, and I’m left to wonder if save for the international guests who are willing to come once they can and willing to pay a premium above most US guests to travel to WDW, if they know they are hitting their ceiling with demand soon until the virus is no longer a real threat. Might be a contributing factor into their willingness to let these CMs go, and in turn let go of large attractions at some of the parks.

I don’t know, just thinking out loud.

Seems to me that merchandise is selling pretty well despite everything. shopDisney can't keep things in stock and I saw photos of the lines this morning to buy the new limited merch.
-ShopDisney couldn’t keep stuff in stock pre-COVID
-Disney always has big lines for limited release merch like that

You will know demand is coming back in line with supple when they stop the extra AP discounts.

I never thought there was a chance the Florida parks would shut down again, but I think that Disney is now planning as if that is a real possibility. If they are, they might be correct. Not to get political, but there are a bunch of people who never thought WDW should reopen and would be jubilant if it was shut down again. We have spiking case numbers across the country. We have an election in 6 days that could mean a new administration that has promised to take a more restrictive approach when it comes to dealing with virus spread. WDW could be facing a grim reality when it comes to operations after January 20th.

There has been a lot of back and forth in here about whether or not demand had returned or is ramping up, and I’m left to wonder if save for the international guests who are willing to come once they can and willing to pay a premium above most US guests to travel to WDW, if they know they are hitting their ceiling with demand soon until the virus is no longer a real threat. Might be a contributing factor into their willingness to let these CMs go, and in turn let go of large attractions at some of the parks.

I don’t know. I think they could bring even more people in if they wanted. They clearly are trying with the national ad campaigns. I’ve heard WDW ads even running in CA which isn’t that common with Disneyland. I think many people want to go too but of course still are a lot of uncertainties. Though because they know they won’t be “normal” for 6+ months this is why they are laying people off. I remain in the camp that it didn’t need to be this bad though.

Trouble is, now Fauci and other scientists have said that, even more people will refuse or not bother getting a vaccine.

I definitely think this is true, but Disney will eventually be able to relax some of their restrictions over time. It won't be immediate, but eventually it will be "come at your own risk, but we are relaxing our mask policy effective 1/1/2022 or whatever"

Unfortunately, I think Disney is realizing that the impacts of the virus will stretch long into 2021 if not 2022 and they felt it was the right time to do the layoffs now. Fauci said a couple days ago that the initial vaccine won’t make people immune from the virus, it will just lessen symptoms, meaning that masks, social distancing, and reduced traveling is here to stay for the foreseeable future. Knowing that, Disney realizes that DL won’t be opening at any time soon so they are making the cuts where they can. I’m hopeful that the laid off people can land at another park, or are able to wait out the lay off period and be rehired by Disney but I know that’s not likely. It’s a sad, but expected day.

I was typing while you posted this and didn’t notice at first, but yes these are my thoughts as well. I think at first a lot wanted to believe people weren’t coming because they couldn’t, not because they don’t want to, and as soon as they are allowed they will return in numbers resembling “normal” ones. I wonder if Disney may be approaching the point of hitting the ceiling of guests who are willing to come in the current state of the pandemic.

I dunno.

They're continuing with opening resorts it seems (slowly) so that would suggest they think there is still growth there but that its very slow.

Personally though I think visitors numbers will drop substantially again after Christmas

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter