Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is actually an example of no idea ever dying at Disney. They did this (albeit not socially distant) in the aftermath of 9/11 when they cut E-Ticket Nights for financial reasons but needed to give Guests a reason to stay onsite. At the time, they called them Character Caravans. They were replaced with EMH in 2003.
Character Caravans is what they're calling them now :)

Not sure if it's required, but we always assumed you didn't take off the mask until we were actually served something that called for the mask to be off. And when we were done eating and/or drinking we put our masks back on. Made it easier for the server to know it was time to bring the check.
All of our TS servers and host staff told us we could remove it as we were seated. But, out of respect to the wait staff, we ordered in masks and waited until at least water was on the table. But, we do the same at home, as well.

Disney has definitely taken a step back, before you wouldn't see a regular vehicle/car in parade with characters etc. That was always a big distinction for me between Universal and Disney, Universal parades were always towed by plain pickup trucks, and cars carried the characters. Always looked cheap to me.

Before in Disney's parades you did not see a regular car or truck they were all hidden. Now Disney is throwing characters on pontoon boats and RV's and driving them around on cars like the prom queen at a small town parade.

Have you seen the RV yet? Do you know what it looks like?

The pontoons are fun. Are they perfect? No. It’s not part of a parade that’s been planned for years. I’m glad they have been able to find a doable way to do distanced appearances at AK, and it seems neat to see them float by.

Also, for years characters rode around World Showcase on a bus.

Have you seen the RV yet? Do you know what it looks like?

The pontoons are fun. Are they perfect? No. It’s not part a parade that’s been planned for years. I’m glad they have been able to find a doable way to do distanced appearances at AK, and it seems neat to see them float by.

Also, for years characters rode around World Showcase on a bus.
There's nothing like the energy and magic that happens when characters come out in any way, they could appear out of a dumpster and people would appreciate it right now, smart move on Disney, they usually offer meet and greets at the resorts this time of year so a nice way to still provide this to them

Disney has definitely taken a step back, before you wouldn't see a regular vehicle/car in parade with characters etc. That was always a big distinction for me between Universal and Disney, Universal parades were always towed by plain pickup trucks, and cars carried the characters. Always looked cheap to me.

Before in Disney's parades you did not see a regular car or truck they were all hidden. Now Disney is throwing characters on pontoon boats and RV's and driving them around on cars like the prom queen at a small town parade.

Well, it's a little fancier than just riding in a car but this was twenty years ago...

Starting this month characters will pop up at resort hotels on customized rv for surprise, social distant meet and greets, they might also be seen roaming the grounds, obviously no set times or set resorts, it'll be a complete surprise when they pop up
Another great replacement of the magic lost from the traditional M&Gs. I always felt they should have more characters at the resorts!

There's nothing like the energy and magic that happens when characters come out in any way, they could appear out of a dumpster and people would appreciate it right now, smart move on Disney, they usually offer meet and greets at the resorts this time of year so a nice way to still provide this to them

plus this is something additional at the resorts ... it's not like they were coming to resorts in super customized over the top vehicles and now they are coming in RVs - this is additive

Another great replacement of the magic lost from the traditional M&Gs. I always felt they should have more characters at the resorts!

even more so now that the benefits of staying on site have been reduced with no EMHs and no FP (so no 60 day benefit), etc

Especially if unique characters - Would be a big benefit if the just regularly had Moana meeting at the Poly, Mary, Burt, and the Penguins at GF, Fab Five int heir old EPCOT space outfits at Contemporary, etc.

Wow, that’s amazing. Too bad the virus didn’t listen in June, July, and August when Florida was having horrible numbers. Or maybe it wasn’t hot and humid then?
I cannot believe we are nine months into this and people still believe such bad/false information. Sad state of affairs in this country.

In other news we are 19 days out from our trip and don't know if it's actually happening. We are still hesitant to activate our APs knowing most of 2021 will be a less than experience. We are concerned about increased capacity. We don't know if our state will implement a quarantine between now and then. Hoping we'll know more in the next week or two. If nothing else we may have to go down for the nights we have booked at DVC since those are nonrefundable, but may skip parks and just come home early. Looking forward to seeing Christmas time reports come out as the month rolls on.

Last edited:
We take our masks off when sitting/dining and put them on whenever getting up from the table. It was outside and definitely social distanced.
We were drinking wine or cocktails, eating apps, would have been pulling it up/down constantly anyways. Everyone was doing it that way.

I'm not side-eyeing anyone with a mask off at their table while dining.
We dined indoors last week (unavoidable) and they had a new rule where you cannot remove your mask until you've ordered and something is front of you. Made perfect sense, we'll often keep ours on until we've ordered anyway. Has anyone seen that at WDW?

Last edited:
Starting this month characters will pop up at resort hotels on customized rv for surprise, social distant meet and greets, they might also be seen roaming the grounds, obviously no set times or set resorts, it'll be a complete surprise when they pop up
This is awesome!

img_1149-png.541403

Recently was sent this audition notice for the NCL production of Footloose, does this mean potentially good news for DCL?

Attachments

• IMG_1149.png
    IMG_1149.png
    254.1 KB · Views: 437
We dined indoors last week (unavoidable) and they had a new rule where you cannot remove your mask until you've ordered and something is front of you. Made perfect sense, we'll often keep ours on until we've ordered anyway. Has anyone seen that at WDW?

Well, it's really the same as I'm talking about. Masks were off while we were eating/drinking, which was most of the time.
We don't have indoor dining here and we haven't been out to eat since late summer, so maybe it's changed, but that wasn't the rule at the time.

I'm just asking because I truly don't know - we have to wear masks on water rides correct? I'm just thinking of Kali, I've been completely destroyed on that ride. I'm assuming people just toss their soaked mask and put on a new one? (if disposable)

img_1149-png.541403

Recently was sent this audition notice for the NCL production of Footloose, does this mean potentially good news for DCL?
The Norwegian Joy is currently in Asia according to Google but they are slated to run the Caribbean in Jan 2021... I read they are required to do test sailings by CDC so maybe this is part of that? Guess the cruise lines are real optimistic about CDC letting them sail.

Hasn’t Disney already sent one ship back from Europe to FL? DCL might be ahead of NCL on that front.*

*yep, it was the Dream. DIS says it’s due to arrive 12/9

I'm just asking because I truly don't know - we have to wear masks on water rides correct? I'm just thinking of Kali, I've been completely destroyed on that ride. I'm assuming people just toss their soaked mask and put on a new one? (if disposable)

Disney will be more than happy to sell you a dry one once you exit the ride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter