Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was underwhelmed by Riviera as a whole when we visited on our last trip. To paraphrase: it was a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to stay there. Not sure why, but that was our impression.

Maybe. I think the food there sounds good, but I am underwhelmed by their lounge/bar situation. Mostly I think it's gorgeous (love the artwork) and I'd enjoy the SkyLiner. :)

Maybe. I think the food there sounds good, but I am underwhelmed by their lounge/bar situation. Mostly I think it's gorgeous (love the artwork) and I'd enjoy the SkyLiner. :)

Skyliner is fine, but you'd get it at YC too.. I'd be all over YC in a second.

Skyliner is fine, but you'd get it at YC too.. I'd be all over YC in a second.

Yeah, Yacht/Beach is our normal spot, but Gran Destino is soooooo much cheaper, we couldn't pass up! We'll be back to Yacht/Beach again at some point.

I was underwhelmed by Riviera as a whole when we visited on our last trip. To paraphrase: it was a great place to visit, but I wouldn't want to stay there. Not sure why, but that was our impression.

We haven’t been there yet (just passed through its station before it opened) but just based on its pricing it’s not appealing to us. At that price range, if I’m looking for Epcot or DHS access I’m staying at either YC, BC, or BW. Skyliner is great, but walking freedom is even better. If it was priced between the Epcot resorts and mods it would hold way more appeal to us.

Seems as if they overbooked CSR due to the NBA G-league being there.

Reports of people in Tower being offered Grand Floridian (which weirdly, I would not like) and guests booked for regular CSR being moved from Casitas to Tower, Cabanas and now Ranchos!

whoops! :D

I'm booked in the tower and would take GF in a heartbeat. I'll be sure to update if I hear anything :) I check in the 12th for 5 nights.

Where did you see these reports? I took a quick look over on the resorts board and didn't see the usual moved by Disney thread. I'm pretty familiar since my summer reservation had ran the entire monorail loop by the time they stopped moving it ;)

Yeah, Yacht/Beach is our normal spot, but Gran Destino is soooooo much cheaper, we couldn't pass up! We'll be back to Yacht/Beach again at some point.

Our first trip to WDW back in the 90's - we stayed at CSR. Kids loved the pool. We haven't been back since after doing BW on our next trip. I probably wouldn't recognize CSR now with the tower there.

And I'm really not dissing on Riviera, but I'd stay at an EPCOT resort and take the Skyliner over to Riviera to eat anytime. It's a win-win.

you're not wrong.

we stayed in a studio in November 2020 because I wanted to try it out. It was the last leg in a 9 day split stay between Beach Club, Wilderness Lodge/Copper Creek and Riv.

The food at the Riviera (bar, lounge, signature dining, pastries in the coffee bar) was outstanding. Even their quick service was incredibly good. We had breakfast and dinner from Primo Piatta (however you spell that, I'm too lazy to look it up) and we had lots of signature coffee drinks, I had adult bevs, and we had dinner at Topolino's Terrace. I would absolutely go back to the Riviera to eat. Even if we had to take separate transportation/uber etc - it was that good.
But for my resort preferences it missed the mark.

I wouldn't stay in the Riviera again necessarily unless we had to add extra days for flight change purposes or some random thing came up and there was availability. It's very nice, very new, but it wasn't very comfortable for me at least. The layout is confusing. It was all pomp and circumstance in presentation.
My son loved the pool and slide. The aesthetic is fine and I know what they're trying to go for - I just don't think it's up our alley. We are Wilderness Lodge people.

I'm booked in the tower and would take GF in a heartbeat. I'll be sure to update if I hear anything :) I check in the 12th for 5 nights.

Where did you see these reports? I took a quick look over on the resorts board and didn't see the usual moved by Disney thread. I'm pretty familiar since my summer reservation had ran the entire monorail loop by the time they stopped moving it ;)

Facebook

There used to be posters here who knew this kind of thing, but I swear I read that Disney hotels were usually near capacity during normal times.

disney did a really good job of filling spots in the calendar, but it certainly wasn’t at rack room pricing.
Think about all the competitions, business retreats and conventions, pop Warner contracts, cheer and dance contracts and overseas groups, adding in new events/festivals/limited offerings to entice more people in “low attendance times”, packages for European guests for onsite options that were close to two weeks long, etc.

If Disney was at capacity I doubt they’d be jumping through all those hoops- I for one was happy to see pop warner gone for 2021.

disney did a really good job of filling spots in the calendar, but it certainly wasn’t at rack room pricing.
Think about all the competitions, business retreats and conventions, pop Warner contracts, cheer and dance contracts and overseas groups, adding in new events/festivals/limited offerings to entice more people in “low attendance times”, packages for European guests for onsite options that were close to two weeks long, etc.

If Disney was at capacity I doubt they’d be jumping through all those hoops- I for one was happy to see pop warner gone for 2021.

So you are saying they offer food/wine and have cheer comps because they are having trouble filling rooms, pre-covid?

I dont know...I'm not saying they were booked to capacity but I'm not sure about the 7% numbers you are posting. But I don't have access to that info, so who knows!

Reports of people in Tower being offered Grand Floridian (which weirdly, I would not like) and guests booked for regular CSR being moved from Casitas to Tower, Cabanas and now Ranchos!

For what dates?! I have friends staying there in March.

Same. I was super excited for it based on the DVC model we saw when we took a tour of the model rooms at SSR. The rooms were also quite nice. But I visited and had breakfast on my last trip and I was underwhelmed. I am a DVC member and can’t see myself using the points needed to stay there.

When does G league start? I've seen very little about it.

@hereforthechurros When does G league start? I've seen very little about it.

I think it started or is about to. Supposed to end March 9th I think...
They were arriving when we were there the week of 1/16, I think 1/19 we first saw signs of them. I think official check-in date was 1/26 so they should be underway by now.

March 9th sounds about right!

Edited. I hit my quotes wrong :)

I know POR is a “seasonal resort” in the it has its diehards and it’s an overflow during peak seasons, but the number and current history do not bode well for my favorite resort!
In spring 2019 I went to POR and the CM told me they were at 7% capacity. (Granted it’s got a lot of rooms!)
in fall 2019 I overheard the Uber guy talking to a CM who said he’d have better luck staging at another resort- they were under 10% capacity on a Friday night.

we went there weekly for beignets and the atmosphere was always awesome because it was never slam packed like other value and moderates can get in the main areas

they’ve been wanting to shut it down for a long time- maybe this is it for POR as we know it.
I hope not! As a family, we love POR! We took a mother/daughter trip last Oct and we stayed in POP because there were just three of us. The rooms were very nice, but I like the POR grounds a lot better!

We stayed there for 3 nights at Christmas, it was fantastic! Rooms were gorgeous and comfortable, food at the QS was awesome, coffee from the coffee place/bar in the lobby was always on point, and the CMs were so amazingly friendly. It was too cold to swim, but we're going back this summer and plan on trying the pool because it looked nice from what we could see. We stayed in the one bedroom and the shower is AMAZING. Tub is AMAZING. Loved all the storage, room is gorgeous, and even with a standard view we had a view of Spaceship earth and TT (a lot of fun at night to watch). Just lovely all around. DH and I visited on thanksgiving week since had never been, wanted to scope it out before staying there (ordered lunch as a break on a HS day) and I can see how it could be underwhelming if you're not actually staying in a room there.

Discounts so far this year have been stingy. Even AP rates aren’t great. I remain baffled but most signs point to WDW laying low-ish until the 50th or maybe even 2022.

Edit: I forgot about the buy four get two ticket promo. We only focus on the resort discounts.
I dunno, I got some pretty good room discounts with my AP rate, better than they used to be. Honestly not complaining on my end about the amount of money I've saved on all of our rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter