Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Um, Florida's approach is pretty much the sole reason you could even go to Disney.

I'm from Florida. I have seen the approach here, and that's why we aren't vacationing at other Florida destinations like Universal, as I said. Everyone's comfort level is different, but we tried Destin and the Gulf Coast along 30A as well, and it did not make me feel safe at all. The word "haphazard" comes to mind. Disney is not 100% safe, of course, and I get that, but as I said, it made me feel comfortable enough to try again this summer. So, we will go to Disney, not "Florida". Looking forward to when we personally feel that we can return to other parts of Florida. If you are comfortable spending vacation dollars in other parts of the state, more power to you! I'm not debating it, since it's a very personal decision as to what you are okay with risk-wise depending on your family and circumstances. I'm just saying, for our family, Disney felt safer than other parts of Florida that did not have and/or did not enforce the same level of restrictions and safety measures, at least in my personal experience trying them.

As you say everyone "feels" however they like, but Florida being open has performed just as good if not better than many other states that have been under much stricter restrictions. Florida being open allowed Disney to open and you felt comfortable there.

Yes...but, what I'm saying is that in my personal experience at multiple Florida vacation spots over the past year, Disney went beyond what Florida required and/or enforced, and THAT is why I felt comfortable there. The "Florida minimum" is not enough for me, personally, to feel safe and want to spend my money there. But, yes, I'm glad that Disney was able to open, as opposed to Disneyland. I'm sorry that Florida did not institute more restrictions such that I would personally feel safe trying to vacation elsewhere in Florida again, but again, we have our own circumstances and risk-comfort level. I'm not debating which states did it "right" or "wrong". This is about Disney's reopening efforts and why I personally felt they went above and beyond and that made me feel better about it. I realize that my "feeling" of safety may or may not correlate to an actual safer experience, but since I have a choice on vacation spots, I'll go with what makes me feel safer. I'm not sure what about this is controversial to say, and it seems to be straying off topic, so I will leave it at a kudos to Disney for making such an effort when given the opportunity to do less.

Tron's construction is stopped. They sealed the building up. It looks likely that Ratatouille is going to open at some point in the spring. Not sure what either of those have to do with the comment you're replying to.
you stated "Restrictions aren’t changing much anytime soon," All I am saying is soon is very relative.

I was the one that said that. Chapek said expect masks through the year. So for me “not anytime soon” means “not in 2021.” That better?

Not what he said.

Here are the exact quotes - keep in mind he is speaking for all parks including Disneyland which is not even open.

"We have no doubt that when we reopen up in parks that were closed or increase the capacity that we'll have some level of social distancing and mask wearing for the remainder of this year."

"And that could accelerate our expectations and give people the confidence that they need to come back to the parks. Will there be some overlap until we know that we've hit herd immunity? Sure there will. But do we also believe that we'll be in the same state of 6-foot social distancing and mask wearing in '22? Absolutely not."

The whole “Disney/theme parks are only open because they’re in Florida” argument is disingenuous because it assumes that all theme parks/major attractions (and cities with economies built around them) are in Florida or California (the two most extreme examples). If you look at the first page of this thread, you’ll see that many other states also allowed theme/amusement parks last summer. Busch Gardens VA, Dollywood, several Six Flags and several Cedar Fair parks all opened. Heck, OK allowed their Six Flags to open almost two months before WDW. The only reason these parks are not open right now is cold weather; they’re outside their operating season. California’s theme park reopening guidelines are the outlier from the norm, not Florida’s guidelines.

There are plenty of other states that have also pursued more aggressive reopening strategies with just some adjustments to capacity. What’s the difference then between those states and Florida? The largest difference is weather. This isn’t something new: Oct-April has always been Florida’s busiest time especially during rough winters up north. Many for the time being just have more flexibility with work. It seems like common sense that way more people care about warmer weather than weather dining rooms are out 50% or 100% of capacity. I know I do. And if for whatever reason, you cared more about having totally full dining rooms, why would you be going to WDW where dining rooms are still at 50% capacity?

It really has nothing to do with PC (not sure how that’s even relevant at all). Not everything is political or part of some grand narrative. People like warm weather, and if it’s between working from home in 30 degree snowy weather or working from “home” in 72 degree sunny weather, those that can afford it will choose the latter.

The whole “Disney/theme parks are only open because they’re in Florida” argument is disingenuous because it assumes that all theme parks/major attractions (and cities with economies built around them) are in Florida or California (the two most extreme examples). If you look at the first page of this thread, you’ll see that many other states also allowed theme/amusement parks last summer. Busch Gardens VA, Dollywood, several Six Flags and several Cedar Fair parks all opened. Heck, OK allowed their Six Flags to open almost two months before WDW. The only reason these parks are not open right now is cold weather; they’re outside their operating season. California’s theme park reopening guidelines are the outlier from the norm, not Florida’s guidelines.

There are plenty of other states that have also pursued more aggressive reopening strategies with just some adjustments to capacity. What’s the difference then between those states and Florida? The largest difference is weather. This isn’t something new: Oct-April has always been Florida’s busiest time especially during rough winters up north. Many for the time being just have more flexibility with work. It seems like common sense that way more people care about warmer weather than weather dining rooms are out 50% or 100% of capacity. I know I do. And if for whatever reason, you cared more about having totally full dining rooms, why would you be going to WDW where dining rooms are still at 50% capacity?

It really has nothing to do with PC (not sure how that’s even relevant at all). Not everything is political or part of some grand narrative. People like warm weather, and if it’s between working from home in 30 degree snowy weather or working from “home” in 72 degree sunny weather, those that can afford it will choose the latter.

Disney parks discussion on a Disney board. if I mentioned other parks (wouldn't because this is a disney board) usual suspects would claim derail, off topic etc etc.

The irony that if Florida had chosen a reopening plan like California (regardless of weather) that we wouldn’t even be able to have this conversation is golden. Not debating you- I just can’t be the only one to see the irony right?

how blessed are we to even be able to moan about opening procedures when half the world is still on tight lockdown

Disney parks discussion on a Disney board. if I mentioned other parks (wouldn't because this is a disney board) usual suspects would claim derail, off topic etc etc.
The thread is called “Theme Park and Operational Updates due to Coronavirus.” The original moderator of this thread consistently said this thread is not just about Disney parks. His first posts of the thread include operational updates on not just Disney but also Universal, SW, Busch Gardens, Legoland, Six Flags, and Cedar Fair parks amongst others.

That’s all I’m going to say on this, because frankly, I don’t have much more to say. I’m taking a break from this thread; too many seem to see this thread not as a means to share operational information, experiences, and rumors about theme parks and cruises but rather a place to just vent their political feelings and desired narrative on reopenings, Florida, California, and lockdowns. I’d imagine I’m not only in feeling like DISboards is not the place I come to for that.

I don't disagree. I live in Colorado so cold weather and snow is a factor. We have an amusement park / water park in Denver that has announced they are reopening May 1, 2021. They will be doing social distancing and I would assume there will be a mask mandate. Also, College Basketball has announced that they will have audiences for March Madness. I think companies are to the point where they cannot keep closed.

Did anyone see the email from Disney Cruise Line on Friday titled "Let's Dream"? Disney is starting to ramp up advertising. I thought the DCL email was interesting because the cruise industry will be the last to come back because of the close quarters situation. They are certainly trying to get people to think about Disney and start booking trips. The link in the email opens up a webpage that not only includes all the COVID restrictions but has a section called "Book with Confidence". Based on this and the advertising and specials they are beginning to run for WDW, I would expect that we will see some operational updates before summer begins, at least for the Parks.

I received a mail letter from Disney Destinations outlining our upcoming stay (which happened a week and a half ago) at Caribbean Beach. Is this new? In many stays this was the first of its kind. Seems against the cost cutting they're doing to be sending basically what's on my account exactly in MDE in the mail.

I received a mail letter from Disney Destinations outlining our upcoming stay (which happened a week and a half ago) at Caribbean Beach. Is this new? In many stays this was the first of its kind. Seems against the cost cutting they're doing to be sending basically what's on my account exactly in MDE in the mail.

I know we got something in the mail our last two trips just confirming our stay etc...

I know we got something in the mail our last two trips just confirming our stay etc...
When were those trips? Like I said we haven't received anything in the mail in a while, definitely not since reopening, and this looks very different than anything else in that it's just a letter confirming the stay. Not a huge deal obviously just wondering why now. And again it arrived after our trip which made me lol.

When were those trips? Like I said we haven't received anything in the mail in a while, definitely not since reopening, and this looks very different than anything else in that it's just a letter confirming the stay. Not a huge deal obviously just wondering why now. And again it arrived after our trip which made me lol.

Oh, definitely before Covid - 2015 and 2019.

I got a letter for my upcoming stay as well, suprised me as it was a first in a while. I think some of the marketing team must be coming back online.

We didn't get that in December but it was also a DVC stay. I don't know if that matters. We did get the email a week before to make sure we knew about the COVID rules and to make sure we were still coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter