Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Did only one boat have the plexiglass or all of them? I could have sworn there was one test boat a couple months ago? 🤔

just the one. We waited in line for a whole cleaning cycle and saw all the boats multiple times (longest line of our trip an hour). They had a test boat on Navi and now they all have the plastic.

Of note from the official pdf:
  • Park visitors are permitted to eat and drink only in designated dining areas. Concession stands must be accompanied by additional designated and shaded eating areas.
  • Indoor rides must be limited to no more than 15 minutes.
  • All queuing must be performed in outdoor settings only
  • In-state visitors only
Most of this we knew but now it's even more "official." I'm beyond frustrated but at least I have Disney World to get my magic fix. :wizard:

It is probably already on here but today I saw one small world boat with plastic. View attachment 565381View attachment 565381

So, what's the consensus, do we think these will be permanent? Or just till we get over the hump of Covid (maybe removed in 2022)?

Nuts! Open it up. Make sure all passengers and crew members are fully vaccinated and get these people back to work. Yes... for now not everyone will be able to cruise that want to but you can't hold out and destroy an industry and the lives of those sidelined. There is a path.

It's not that simple. There aren't enough fully vaccinated people out there yet to even support the industry, and they still don't know for sure how well the vaccines are even going to work when it comes to transmission - and even if it does eventually show to have a high rate of stopping transmission, no vaccine has ever had a 100% success rate.

Not only that, some countries are off limits right now, or have requirements that would make it more difficult for the cruise lines. Even if they are wide open, right now where I live, we have an oil tanker stuck off shore in the harbor because they have an outbreak on the ship. They've been there almost 2 weeks. They can't dock and unload until it's under control. What happens when that's a cruise ship? We'll be right back to seeing people stuck on cruises like we were in the spring, which will sink the industry.

A cruise ship is a completely different ballgame than Disney when it comes to transmission risk.

So, what's the consensus, do we think these will be permanent? Or just till we get over the hump of Covid (maybe removed in 2022)?

It's not that simple. There aren't enough fully vaccinated people out there yet to even support the industry, and they still don't know for sure how well the vaccines are even going to work when it comes to transmission - and even if it does eventually show to have a high rate of stopping transmission, no vaccine has ever had a 100% success rate.

Not only that, some countries are off limits right now, or have requirements that would make it more difficult for the cruise lines. Even if they are wide open, right now where I live, we have an oil tanker stuck off shore in the harbor because they have an outbreak on the ship. They've been there almost 2 weeks. They can't dock and unload until it's under control. What happens when that's a cruise ship? We'll be right back to seeing people stuck on cruises like we were in the spring, which will sink the industry.

A cruise ship is a completely different ballgame than Disney when it comes to transmission risk.

I agree that there aren't enough fully vaccinated now. I was responding to (and quoted) the article that referenced the July date that the Governor and Disney were pushing for. By July... different ballgame and I'm sure that their July target is calculated around a generally available vaccine for those who take it or, are incentivized to take it. Nothing ever has, or ever will be 100%. We haven't eradicated the flu, just pushed it down to an acceptable risk and it wasn't novel. That's been the problem with COVID, everyone exposed gets it or has a much higher risk since no one has any immunity to it. We won't eradicate this either I assume. I don't doubt this will be a yearly booster and something we have to get on with. If that tanker were only populated by a fully vaccinated crew it wouldn't be stuck. So we are talking about apples and oranges and that is largely due to the fact that we are using an example of a fully unvaccinated tanker crew today and what would be a fully vaccinated population (forced) aboard the cruise ship in July.

Last edited:
I agree that there aren't enough fully vaccinated now. I was responding to (and quoted) the article that referenced the July date that the Governor and Disney were pushing for. By July... different ballgame and I'm sure that their July target is calculated around a generally available vaccine for those who take it or, are incentivized to take it. Nothing ever has, or ever will be 100%. We haven't eradicated the flu, just pushed it down to an acceptable risk and it wasn't novel. That's been the problem with COVID, everyone exposed gets it or has a much higher risk since no one has any immunity to it. We won't eradicate this either I'm assume. I don't doubt this will be a yearly booster and something we have to get on with. If that tanker were only populated by a fully vaccinated crew it wouldn't be stuck. So we are talking about apples and oranges and that is largely due to the fact that we are using an example of a fully unvaccinated tanker crew today and what would be a fully vaccinated population (forced) aboard the cruise ship in July.

Yes, I know what you were referring to. I don't see there being enough vaccinated people by July, globally, to support the industry. It's not just the Americans who matter in all of this, but the countries these ships will be going to, as well.

As for the tanker, you're trying to argue that everyone aboard being vaccinated means no risk of Covid, which would require a 100% effectiveness, which it isn't. Just because everyone is vaccinated doesn't mean the guests can't still be asymptomatically or pre-symptomatically carrying Covid when they board or contract it once onboard - especially when visiting ports of call, and of course with vaccines that are questionable at their effectiveness at reducing transmission...

While there will never be a 0 risk, there will be a time eventually later this year or next year, when the risk will be much lower than it will be this summer, AND we will know more about the vaccine's effectiveness against transmission, the effectiveness against the variants etc... Which is why I am sure some are wanting the industry to wait.

Yes, I know what you were referring to. I don't see there being enough vaccinated people by July, globally, to support the industry. It's not just the Americans who matter in all of this, but the countries these ships will be going to, as well.

As for the tanker, you're trying to argue that everyone aboard being vaccinated means no risk of Covid, which would require a 100% effectiveness, which it isn't. Just because everyone is vaccinated doesn't mean the guests can't still be asymptomatically or pre-symptomatically carrying Covid when they board or contract it once onboard - especially when visiting ports of call, and of course with vaccines that are questionable at their effectiveness at reducing transmission...

While there will never be a 0 risk, there will be a time eventually later this year or next year, when the risk will be much lower than it will be this summer, AND we will know more about the vaccine's effectiveness against transmission, the effectiveness against the variants etc... Which is why I am sure some are wanting the industry to wait.

I don't cruise so no real dog in this hunt from a personal perspective. My thoughts of a cruise experience this year leaned more toward floating around, visiting a private island (again vaccine required staff or population), everybody gains a little weight and they come back. In the meantime folks can get paid. I do get that the rest of the world (perhaps more so at typical ports of call) will lag behind the US vaccine availability so you might spread it with a vaccinated population visiting an unvaccinated one. So, my perspective was from the position of wanting to see something open up for the Florida cruise industry and put people back to work even if it's a very diminished cruise experience compared to pre-COVID experiences.
And I didn't mean to imply no risk of COVID in my example. I think we will always have to live with an acceptable risk of COVID. I have no illusions of guarantees in life. I've lived with that all year. Wasn't able to cocoon myself unfortunately so I understood that I had to accept a certain amount of risk to support my family.

Last edited:
Now that’s workable. (It was entirely possible they were gonna do stupid rules but these things are doable.)

Hope folks realize how hot it’s gonna be with everything being pushed outside so not much in the way of AC breaks. It sounds to me like eating or drinking will only be allowed in specifically designated places which will suck for hydrating and is a major departure from WDW where you can pull over and grab a sip of water anytime you can distance.

Also wonder if “relaxation zones” will be allowed. Doesn’t sound like it?

Now that’s workable. (It was entirely possible they were gonna do stupid rules but these things are doable.)

Hope folks realize how hot it’s gonna be with everything being pushed outside so not much in the way of AC breaks. It sounds to me like eating or drinking will only be allowed in specifically designated places which will suck for hydrating and is a major departure from WDW where you can pull over and grab a sip of water anytime you can distance.

Also wonder if “relaxation zones” will be allowed. Doesn’t sound like it?

It definitely doesn’t sound like it!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter