• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruise and Theme Park Operational Updates due to Coronavirus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sorry if someone already explained, I'm on break at work and just scanning the boards
Let's say 50 people have fp and 50 are on standby. When they reach the attraction almost all 50 fp people will be let through while the standby continues to grow. There's stopping to ask how many, to tell people where to go and although this process seems like it takes seconds the constant doing of it builds time
Compound that with thr fact that the ride is operating at less capacity it means either they cut gp allowance significantly, meaning that they will be harder to get, or, they keep current numbers and thr standby will just balloon
With just standby operating now the process to load attractions goes much quicker and smoother and makes for a standby line that looks long but it's constantly moving.
This is even without counting the stoppage time due to cleaning

The pin was sold out 3 hours after the release that day
I’d rather spend more time in a line that constantly moves than wait in a standby line that stays still for 5-10 mins at a time while all the FP people merge in.

This was our day I most feared. MK on a weekend. But, it was actually great if you toured it like us. At the bus stop at 6:40, on bus @ 6:50. Temp check by 7:05. In gates by 7:20. Rode 7 dwarfs, Dumbo and Barnstormer by 8. Hit Pooh @ Peter Pan by 8:30 then headed over to splash. Was a bit chilly but we are used to it. Rode it then country bears and COL. Then headed to let grandtinker drive at speedway, Teacups and finally Buzz before our 12:15 Plaza Ate a d headed back to Riv for nap and swim before Toppolinos tonight. Good day.
ALSO- Saw 3 short parade like things. One with toy soldiers and band. One witb princess float and one with Santa and reigndeer. Grandtink loved them. Got back to our hotel and saw charachter bus parked. Pluto and Goofy were on 2nd floor lobby balconys waving down to kids below.
Hearing they are running transportation 70 minutes ahead of park opening is encouraging.

I’d rather spend more time in a line that constantly moves than wait in a standby line that stays still for 5-10 mins at a time while all the FP people merge in.
Yeah if standby stayed the same even with FP back in rotation it would be miserable. Guess the data we’re missing is how many FPs are allowed through each hour and how many people that would move from standby while capped at 35%.

Bottom line is wdw isn’t doing it for a reason. If it helped with wait times and improved onsite bookings no doubt they’d bring it back. So I get it.

Last edited:

Now that would be sweet lol. In all seriousness, it is easy to fall behind on the chatter when you only check in once in awhile. I'd say news, but from some comments I have seen, it doesn't appear there's been a whole lot of that lol.
With a brief recap of what you missed lol

Good explanation, thanks! I honestly didn't understand it either when I asked a few pages ago. So... just out of curiosity then (knowing this could open a whole other discussion, lol)... if FP+ slows down the standby lane that badly, why even offer it at all? Would it not be better to just keep it all at standby?
It’s a money thing. You can sell it as a perk to get people to stay on property with the early booking, also by having people book them ahead of time they know what park people are planning to be in on a particular day for staffing. Also allows for people to be spending money elsewhere in the park instead of having everyone waiting in line at the same time.

Good explanation, thanks! I honestly didn't understand it either when I asked a few pages ago. So... just out of curiosity then (knowing this could open a whole other discussion, lol)... if FP+ slows down the standby lane that badly, why even offer it at all? Would it not be better to just keep it all at standby?

There are other benefits to disney under normal times. First people know that even during the middle of the summer they have 3 rides a day they can get easy/quick access to. That is a good selling point since people may be concerned (like we see in this thread) that they won't be able to ride much with long lines. Some "guaranteed" rides is good.

The other point is that when people are waiting on their FP time to come up if it is close they may decide to go to a store and shop or go to a QS location for a bite to eat or to a bar for a beer (at HS I have waited out FP times at baseline MANY times). That is normally something disney wants. Problem right now is with limited capacity in stores and limited seating at restaurtans and bars they don't really want everybody taking up those seats right now.

Basically the lower capacity affecting not just rides but stores, restaurants, bars, and even just sitting on a bench makes it harder to put people waiting out a FP time which is not the case normally.

There are other benefits to disney under normal times. First people know that even during the middle of the summer they have 3 rides a day they can get easy/quick access to. That is a good selling point since people may be concerned (like we see in this thread) that they won't be able to ride much with long lines. Some "guaranteed" rides is good.

The other point is that when people are waiting on their FP time to come up if it is close they may decide to go to a store and shop or go to a QS location for a bite to eat or to a bar for a beer (at HS I have waited out FP times at baseline MANY times). That is normally something disney wants. Problem right now is with limited capacity in stores and limited seating at restaurtans and bars they don't really want everybody taking up those seats right now.

Basically the lower capacity affecting not just rides but stores, restaurants, bars, and even just sitting on a bench makes it harder to put people waiting out a FP time which is not the case normally.
As a family with small kids, knowing we can do 3 rides with little wait was a huge deal. We've been twice since the reopening, and we found that the only way riding 7DMT, FOP, etc. was possible for our family was to be in the first crowd through the gates at the new "rope drop." This was fine when we drove to the park, but on the days we were at the mercy of WDW transportation, getting a 15 minute later start meant the difference between walk-on to 7DMT or a 90 minute posted wait. I realize everyone is different, but there is zero chance we are standing in a line for more than 20-30 minutes. We've managed 2 good trips under the current circumstances, but especially now that parks are opening earlier, it's exhausting to wake up early and rush to the park every day on vacation. If one of the goals is to make certain people miss FP enough that we'll pay extra for it, mission accomplished. If we could pay extra for FP (or similar) on our next trip, I'd totally do it.

To add to the discussion about lifting the pass for NYE. Half the parks are already booked for NYE anyway (I checked because I was curious to see among other things what the hours currently were). MK and DHS are booked. I don't think they have an incentive to lift it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter