• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruising alone and dining

janesdad

Earning My Ears
Forgive me if this has been asked before, am wanting to go on a solo cruise but wondering what happens at dinner services. Where do they put solo cruisers? Are we just relagated to eat at the buffet and other food areas? I have no issues being alone on a cruise by myself but the whole dinner time rotation alone frightens me. Thanks

I’m guessing they will put you with another single person or persons at A table anywhere in the restaurant. No buffet at dinner time.

You will still go to all the restaurants and be at the same table number each night with the same waiters.

They will assign you to a shared table with other single-cruisers, couples or small families, totaling between 6 and 8 guests. They won’t put you on a 2-top with another single person.

Though it may not be granted, you can also request a private table if you would feel more comfortable dining alone.

What would YOU be comfortable with? I did an 11 night TransAtlantic by myself and was offered a private table for 2nd seating. I didn’t really want to eat that late so I foraged . . Either I absconded with rolls and butter and cheese and shrimp (that I put in the little fridge) from the lunch buffet OR got something from the pool deck (pizza, burgers, salads, ice cream) OR you can order room service!

Or, as mentioned upthread, you can eat with other people if you want to be social. Either way, you won’t go hungry!

I have been on many solo DCL cruises. They have returned to table sharing. I sat with two other solo travelers on my last two recent cruises. I am an introvert, so this was my biggest fear. In 17 cruises, with almost half being solo, I have been very fortunate to share a table with great people. Some of us are still in touch. Even the ones where we only interacted during dinner, it was still very nice.

If you find that you are uncomfortable, you can move or request a solo table, but please don't miss out on the main dining rooms in the evenings. Happy to answer any questions you have.

They will assign you to a shared table with other single-cruisers, couples or small families, totaling between 6 and 8 guests. They won’t put you on a 2-top with another single person.
I can tell you from personal experience that the last sentence isn't always true. I cruised solo a few years ago on the Wonder and they put me with another single traveler of the opposite sex at a 2-top. It was a supremely awkward dinner experience every night.

They do! I had that happen TWICE and twice asked for a different table cause it was the most awkward thing especially since both times they put me (as a female in her 30s) with an older man (like 60s/70s)

They do! I had that happen TWICE and twice asked for a different table cause it was the most awkward thing especially since both times they put me (as a female in her 30s) with an older man (like 60s/70s)
That’s a major error on their part. I’ve had conversation with dining managers on DCL and Celebrity and was always told they try to avoid creating a situation where table-sharing guests would be in an obviously awkward situation… Creating a ‘couple’ was always cited as the best example, but also putting one female with a bunch of men. Let’s just say they try to avoid putting singles on 2-tops, but obviously they sometimes fail.

That’s a major error on their part. I’ve had conversation with dining managers on DCL and Celebrity and was always told they try to avoid creating a situation where table-sharing guests would be in an obviously awkward situation… Creating a ‘couple’ was always cited as the best example, but also putting one female with a bunch of men. Let’s just say they try to avoid putting singles on 2-tops, but obviously they sometimes fail.
Another fun one they did to me: putting me with a couple of honeymooners and another one putting me at a table with one big group (7) who spoke Spanish... that was my last attempt in going with the shared table situation. ever since then I ve requested my private table and luckily received it. I rather eat alone then getting in these weird situations where you feel completely out of place.
I'm usually solo and I travel from Europe (so non-English foreigner) so it feels like I'm the last card on the table they put with whatever places they have left.

Cruising on the Wish solo in two weeks. I have requested a private table to avoid these awkward placements. Travel solo to the parks about 2-3 times a year and have no problem eating alone.

I was solo during my Halloween Cruise in October, Cruise was pretty much fully booked and much to my surprise I was seated solo at a 2 top. Did not request it in advance and certainly wasn't expecting it.

I know in the past they would intentionally seat solos at a large table with other solos and pairs of adults. You may also have your own table, depending on what's available in the dining room. Either way you will definitely have a spot in the dining room for rotational dinner.

For more info, Adam Hattan vlogged a solo Disney cruise a few years ago:
Gary from Tips for Travelers also did a solo cruise and compared it to other lines:

Ugh, that sounds horrible! I'm doing a solo cruise on the Wish in April; I've requested a private table but now I'm anxious I'm going to wind up in a situation like yours!

Cruised solo in January and was seated at a 6-top with 3 other solo cruisers, so it was 2 men, 2 women.
I had a great time! Some times I would see my dinner friends during the day, so it was always nice to bump into them and say hi. The other lady at our table I'd see several times a day. One of the guys I only saw at dinner.
We were all pretty social, so it made for a nice dinner.

Ugh, that sounds horrible! I'm doing a solo cruise on the Wish in April; I've requested a private table but now I'm anxious I'm going to wind up in a situation like yours!
My advice is to go in the afternoon to the dining table and double check and even if they initially say no, to insist and explain why it is that important...
My Fantasy cruise last week I wasn't moved from second to first. when I went to check I was indirectly told that people with kids get priority. I explained that on one hand at home I even can't eat later than three hours before bedtime (stomach disease) but that also the 6h timedifference makes me hungry very early.
Headserver kept saying it wasn't possible. Then when I got to my room, there was stuff underneath the bed from the previous guest. That started a chain with guest relations and I explained that each and every of my 9 cruises since Covid I've had issues and I also mentioned the dining rotation issue as being a low priority without kids though it was my 25th cruise... two hours later I was changed to the early seating

I’ve been seated solo and also seated at a table with other solos. I actually really enjoyed the other solo tables, you tend to get a lot of Disney people on them!

Forgive me if this has been asked before, am wanting to go on a solo cruise but wondering what happens at dinner services. Where do they put solo cruisers? Are we just relagated to eat at the buffet and other food areas? I have no issues being alone on a cruise by myself but the whole dinner time rotation alone frightens me. Thanks
Thank you for posting this. I am going on my 1st solo DCL trip since my husband passed. This will be my 17th but 1st without husband or family. These experiences people are posting makes me realize I’m not the only one who has ever gone solo and I know what to look for. But I also know if I’m not happy with the table, I can request a change.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter