• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Cruising and Points

bethsg

Mouseketeer
I posted this on the cruise board, but I was interested in what fellow DVC members thought about it, so I am posting on here too. I made an observation today, about using DVC points for cruising. I went to the Disney web site, and used the check on my reservation option. I typed in my reservation numbers and got my reservation details. The thing which concerned me, is I made these reservations back in DEC 2000, for November 10th cruise. When I checked on my reservation, I noticed, that while the deposit was made, the only cash applied was for the required $200 PP and the balance is still outstanding, and due on 9/11/2001. The reservation is booked to Disney Vacation Club. I have friends who have are traveling with me, and paid in cash, and have paid in full. They have already rec'd their excursion documents. I have not. Now, my point here.. is when I booked I had to pay the cash portion of this vacation in full at the time of booking... If DVC didn't give that to the cruise line, then were is it? I plan on calling member services on Monday. I am sure this is just the way they do it, but its kind of the principle of the matter right now. I had to pay about $1200 in cash, as I was doing a combination of points and cash, at the booking... Why should DVC get to sit on that money for 9 months?

I have cruised on points and cash combination also. My feeling is that when I pay for the cruise, I am paying Disney. Whether they put the money in their Vacation Club account, the Cruise Line account, etc, I do not think it matters to me the individual.

As far as the documents, the issuance of documents is the same whether you book with points or cash. There is no bearing on when you receive them versus someone who is cruising totally on cash. I am cruising totally on cash 9/22 and just received my docs Friday.

I am wondering about the information you were able to obtain on the website. Actually, you are only supposed to be able to access it there if you have booked directly with DCL, not thru a travel agent, nor thru DVC. Perhaps it is not complete information, too.

I am very excited for my upcoming cruise, and I would not worry too much about these things, beth. Give MS a call and have them check on when your docs were printed/issued. They should be able to pinpoint when you'll be receiving them. By the way, I was hugely surprised with an UPGRADE from a guaranteed category 8 to a category 6 with VERANDAH!! So sometimes, things are happening for a reason. Good luck!! :)

I am not looking for my cruise docs... I know they will come, but what I am looking for is the excursion information. On the 7 day cruise, you will now be able to book your excursions 60 days prior to sailing. However, you have to have your balance paid in full. Once you balance is paid, you will be sent the cruise excursion details. That is what I am looking for. I have no doubt, that it will all work out fine, but I just didn't realize, that DVC sat on the money, until the typical due date of 60 days prior to the cruise. It just surprised me, when I have already paid in full.

We booked on points for the 9/30 4 day Wonder and received our Shore Excursions info with a postmark of 7/13. I hope this helps you figure out your timeline.

Beth, when you book with DVC your balance IS paid in full. The 60 day due date for the balance with DCL is only applicable to those booking totally on cash. The pre-booking for excursions is something new and the information was just sent in my document package ( I am sailing 9/22) although it is not available for September cruises.

We pay for our cruise with points only. Never had this type of situation before.

Here is the pre-booking information on the new excursion procedure:

"Once the Shore Excursion Order Form is complete and final payment has been made, contact Disney Cruise Lines Special Services Desk at 1-877-566-0968 or fax the completed order form to Special Services at 407-566-7031. Disney Cruise Lines Special Services staff will confirm availability and participants for each excursion chosen and can answer any questions. Once shore excursions are reserved, a separate confirmation document will be mailed or faxed. If traveling with guests in other staterooms, please complete one order form for each stateroom.

Shore excursion requests can be made through Disney Cruise Line's Special Services team. Requests are taken on first come, first served basis and some excursions have capacity limits. Guests may alter shore excursions reservation request anytime up to 7 days prior to sailing. After that time, all shore excursion reservations are considered final and cannot be changed or refunded. Guests who choose not to pre-reserve shore excursions prior to their cruise may stop by the ship's Shore Excursion Desk, located on Deck 3, on embarkation day, to check availability and purchase excursions. Due to limited availability, some excursions may not be available at time of request."

I am sure they can fax or forward you the forms directly. Since your cruise date is November 10 and they don't start taking advance excursion forms till September 10, you should have enough time to still be one of the very first to reserve! Good luck! :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter