• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

curbside luggage checkin

AnnMorin

<font color=babyblue>I HATE SNOW!!!<br><font color
We are renting a car from Avis and driving to the port (returning it at the radisson) On our past twor cruises we used Disney transfers so I am a bit nervous about this. I remember reading that you can check your bags first curbside and then return the car. What time does the curbside checkin start? What is the procedure and how do you get to the radisson from the checkin (map I mean) thanks Ann

Hi Ann.....We did this just last month. We drove to port, stay in the LEFT hand lane, although it is slow, it is the lane to be in to drop off bags. They'll check id a couple times. Follow all the directions.....they will tell you where to stop to unload your luggage (we got out early and got yelled at:rolleyes: ). DH left us there with our luggage....it got checked in about 3 mins and then we went in to check in and get our KTTW cards. I had a map that I printed from dave's site..... www.dcltribute.com to the radisson. (if youcan't find it there, plug it in on www.mapquest.com ) It took about 15-20 mins for DH to get back w/shuttle. He then went straight to the checkin for his KTTW card.

Debarkation is a breeze. Tell the porter who picks up your bags that you are going to the radisson, and quicker than you can blink, he'll wheel your bags directly to the shuttle.........it's a bit of a hike, but very quick.

have a great time:p

what time do they start accepting luggage? Can we just leave it with them and all go to return the car together? DH does not want to do it alone.

Unfortunately, the time they start accepting luggage can vary. I think they <I>attempt</I> to be ready for everyone at 10 a.m., but if for any reason <I>everyone</I> from the arriving cruise has not cleared the terminal (as sometimes happens), the luggage check-in will be delayed. Also, now they do not start accepting luggage until the passenger security check area is set up and ready. A "safe" bet would be to wait until 10:30 to arrive.

I can't imagine a reason why you can't all go return the car(after your bags have been checked) to avis and then shuttle back to port.........

They should have NO problem doing that.

We won't have to worry about departing passengers as we are on the 12/7 cruise which is right after dry docking. Ann, dh is the same way...we are just going to turn in the car and take the Avis shuttle to port...don't think there will be as many people on it so luggage won't be a problem. Unless of course Alex, Michelle, you guys and us all arrive at the same time!:)
I can't see why you couldn't drop off your luggage with the porters and then drive back to the Radisson, drop off the car and head back to port. Just try for around 10:30. Unless they board us late because of what is going on now??

Lisa

The reason I was going to drop it first would be that it seems easier than lugging it into the avis office and then on to the shuttle. What time are you heading over? (you are at the radisson aren't you?) I don't know if we will be having a "normal" checkin time. I guess we could call sometime this week to check. I personally am going to tip higher than usual as they will have lost a great deal of income this past week. It is like they are laid off out of the blue with no unemployment benifits. AS bad as I feel for the 11/30 cruisers (and I do fell horrible for them) I can not imagine if my husband lost a weeks pay, that would really screw us up. These folks depend on tips for their income so we have a responsiblity to treat them well this week!

Ann, I very much agree with that! I have already budgeted more in for them! It must be rough to lose a week's pay through no fault of their own! I realize it is hard for the cruisers that lost their vacation, but at least they were compensated!

As for check in, I am not sure if they will delay our checkin or not? If they don't, I think we will try and get to the terminal about 11.
Yes, we are at the Radisson.
You are right, that is a lot of luggage for the shuttle and I talked to Dh about it and he said he would just drop us at the terminal and take the two way radio and go drop off the car. He will take the shuttle back. Maybe the two dh's can ride back together!!:)

Lisa

We will definitely be dropping off the luggage curbside, and I'll probably go alone to drop off the car and come back. I've done it enough times and I don't mind. :)

I'm not sure about the check-in time, I have to believe it will be back on schedule as normal. If that changes I'm sure we'll hear during the week. :)

With MIL not coming, we recently decided to rent from Avis also. I was wondering about the drop-off, thanks for bringing this up! Considering the large amount of luggage that my family and the SIL will be bringing, I think we will be better off having DH drop us off and then he will go to the Avis and take the shuttle back.

To get back in he will need his documentation and his I.D., correct?

I read on a thread somewhere that the crew would be totally replaced with crew that had been on vacation. So... i think the increase in tipping is nice... but i'm not sure if this is true that it would be getting to the right people.???

Anyone know anything more on this?

Jodie

Actually there is a good reason for just one person to go back with the car. At peak times the shuttle can get full and you might find yourself waiting for the next one.

Originally posted by AnnMorin
I don't see how they could replace 1000 people

I don't either... but i swear i read that somewhere... i'll do some searching to see if i can find it...

Jodie

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter