Current Youth Activities CM -- Ask me anything!

How do you have your children carry the wave phones. And do they just dial the cabin number. We have 4 kids and Weill needing additional phone ? Any suggestions ? Thanks

Each room will have 2 wave phones. You can get additional phones at Guest Services (for a fee, as long as they last). Be aware, lost or damaged wave phones cost $250.

A little something extra:

If you really want to go above and beyond and thank a youth counselor (for free! Without having to pack anything!), it's by giving them a Mickey Bar.

Did you know you can have as many of these as you want on the ships - for free? Did you also know that we as CMs never ever get to have them unless a guest directly gives us one? In fact, when the kids get to have them for a program/activity and there are a bunch left over - we have to toss them all in the trash.

Heartbreaking. Mickey Bars are actually a big deal for us. We dream up clever ways to sneak one on our last day but never obviously do it. But one time, a pair of guests asked for a whole bunch of Mickey Bars from room service and promptly brought it down to us at closing time in the Club. You should've heard the cheering that ensued around the room.

:cheer2:

I am SO going to try to do this, as well as bring a goodie bag for the CM's. This is my first cruise and didn't even think to do anything like this! So I'm on the Dream, if I were to order a bunch of Mickey bars - how many would be enough? I have NO clue. I figure I might as well take care of the CM's as they'll have their hands full with my 4 year old (he turns 4 on our 2nd day of the cruise!).

I was told there was an XBOX in the older kids' club (EDGE?), but not in the Oceaner's Club/Lab. I understand there is a Wii in there. However, my 9 year old has NO desire to return the the Oceaner's Club/Lab. All he really wants is the availability of an XBOX. He would have NO interest in any other activities in the Edge. He feels he is too big for the Oceaner's Club/Lab and it seems babyish to him. This will be his 4th Disney cruise, and is a bit tired of it (unfortunately) unlike his 2 younger sisters who are really looking forward to it again.
So my question is, what is the best approach and who should I first approach to try to get him privliges in the Edge for only XBOX priviliges?
Thanks for your time!

As posted on your other thread, he will not be allowed to register for the Edge at his age. You will be able to accompany him there during open house hours. There is one game system and other kids will want to use it as well, so my suggestion is for you to get in touch with others on your cruise meet thread with kids the same age so your son can make friends prior to the cruise and possibly be willing to attend other activities in the club with them.

As posted on your other thread, he will not bee allowed to register for the Edge at his age. You will be able to accompany him there during open house hours. There is one game system and other kids will want to use it as well, so my suggestion is for you to get in touch with others on your cruise meet thread with kids the same age so your son can make friends prior to the cruise and possibly be willing to attend other activities in the club with them.

I agree, you'll probably need to take him to play Xbox during Edge open house. This is what I did with my 9 year old once or twice because he was not allowed to go to Edge with his older siblings. My son also did not enjoy the kids club for his age all that much at first, but warmed up to it after meeting some other boys his age.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

I know I had asked months ago on my own thread but since you are a CM I figured I would ask you. Has there ever been an exception of an older child ( 3 months) getting registered in the lab as a special request? I know many have said slightly younger are allowed in but they don't allow older to go in younger. I'm just looking for advice because my daughter is special needs and REALLY loves the clubs and wants to stay with her younger siblings. She will only be 13 and 3 months at time of my Alaska cruise, So is that EVER taken into consideration or is it just a standard rule that is never broken? Thank you so much in advance for answering!

I was told there was an XBOX in the older kids' club (EDGE?), but not in the Oceaner's Club/Lab. I understand there is a Wii in there. However, my 9 year old has NO desire to return the the Oceaner's Club/Lab. All he really wants is the availability of an XBOX. He would have NO interest in any other activities in the Edge. He feels he is too big for the Oceaner's Club/Lab and it seems babyish to him. This will be his 4th Disney cruise, and is a bit tired of it (unfortunately) unlike his 2 younger sisters who are really looking forward to it again.
So my question is, what is the best approach and who should I first approach to try to get him privliges in the Edge for only XBOX priviliges?
Thanks for your time!
I have been right there with you on this front. 2 cruises ago, I had a 9 year old with no desire for the club/lab because it was way too young for her. We only sent her when we had a reservation at Palo, and she was sooo glad when we came to get her.

Based on my experience and everything I have read/ heard, the XBOX thing won't happen, period. They will ONLY allow him in for open house accompanied by a parent. I have never heard of an exception being made for a 9 year old. Also, there are no violent XBOX games, so no Call of Duty, Battlefield, Mass Effect, or other RPG type games. Mostly racing, sports, dance games ect so it may not be what he is interested in playing.

Why not use the cruise as a chance to unplug? We did a no electronics cruise for our last one and had a ball doing it. Getting rid of the screens for a few days was a great way for all of us to reconnect and really talk to one another. If he isn't going to the club/lab, you likely will be spending a lot of time together as a family anyway, so why not make the most of it? We had a great experience with unplugging!

I know I had asked months ago on my own thread but since you are a CM I figured I would ask you. Has there ever been an exception of an older child ( 3 months) getting registered in the lab as a special request? I know many have said slightly younger are allowed in but they don't allow older to go in younger. I'm just looking for advice because my daughter is special needs and REALLY loves the clubs and wants to stay with her younger siblings. She will only be 13 and 3 months at time of my Alaska cruise, So is that EVER taken into consideration or is it just a standard rule that is never broken? Thank you so much in advance for answering!

While it used to be taken into consideration a few years ago, DCL has been very strict on the upper age limits at each of the kids' spaces. My understanding is this is for liability purposes and not flexible. I have not heard of any older child allowed into a younger space, except during Open House times, since the new rules took effect. You can take your 13-yr-old and the younger ones to the Club or Lab during posted Open House hours -- there should be at least 1 hour in each every day, so that would be 2 hours they can spend together in the Club/Lab. There are also many activities outside the clubs for all ages they can enjoy together.

Enjoy your cruise!

The CM actually answered your question earlier in this thread.

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.php?p=50454960&postcount=872

... I'm just looking for advice because my daughter is special needs and REALLY loves the clubs and wants to stay with her younger siblings. She will only be 13 and 3 months at time of my Alaska cruise, So is that EVER taken into consideration or is it just a standard rule that is never broken? Thank you so much in advance for answering!

Hello, I'm so sorry about your travel plans having to change!

Sadly I have to say that there are no exceptions in this situation, especially where it is a 13-year old attempting to be registered for the Oceaneer Lab or Club programming.

Hi, we are going on a cruise next year with our 4 year old. She has a rare genetic skin disorder that causes her skin to blister and peel with any friction. I'm worried about her sleeping with kids club bracelet on. Would DCL be able to put her bracelet on her each day or is there no way around this. Any advise would be helpful. Thank you

We took our son's bracelet off every night when he was finished going to the club for the day and the CM's at the club would put it on for him the next day when he wanted to go back in. Never a problem.

Hello:

Thank you for assisting us guests! It really helps. Especially for a first timer. :)

On a previous post a CM mentioned enjoying recent magazines. Would DVDs with some recent movies, TV Shows, etc be something they would enjoy and be able to share?

Thank you for your input.

What a great thread! I'll make sure not to toss my magazines and save them for the CM's. Also fun size candies coming your way June 7th Fantasy!
I've always wondered how I can reward CM's and now I know giving cash is not as meaningful as getting goodies (for the youth program.) I'll do my best to sneak in Mickey Bars as well. :)

I didn't get to sneak in Mickey bars but dropped of some candies and magazines. I hope you were able to get some.

Is the age of 10 the go-between for the clubs? Trying to find out before I say anything to my kid. They feel they are too old (mature) for the kids club!

Is the age of 10 the go-between for the clubs? Trying to find out before I say anything to my kid. They feel they are too old (mature) for the kids club!

There is no way to know for sure if a 10 year old will be allowed in the edge until you board and ask. Mine was allowed, but others have been told no.

I just got off the Magic. I have a 13 year old and a 10 year old. DS(10) thought he would want to be in Edge, but I told him before I would even ask he had to try out the Lab. While walking into Edge with DS(13), I did ask the counselor. Sure enough he said to give it a couple days and not judge by the first 24 hours. DS (10) never asked again to go to Edge. I will say, this was a very port intensive cruise and not a ton of time was spent in the clubs by either as their was other things they wanted to do in their limited downtime, but DS (10) did enjoy going to the Lab. The only time he didn't like it was when the Lab had an open house and he had to go to the Club, which he thought was too babyish.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter