Danube River Cruise Meets Thread

We're going on the Christmas one as well - me, DH, DD will be 13 then and DS who will be 15. There are also a number of people who were on our South East Asia Xmas and NY who have also booked this already

Very cool! We are doing SE Asia this Christmas. I'd love to hear any itinerary changes and tips (probably should move them to the SE Asia board, though).

My son is nine and he will be glad to hear there are some younger types already booked!

I should say that my DD will be just a couple of weeks shy of 11 on this trip, so it sounds like there will be a good range of kids coming along. That is the whole idea as far as I'm concerned.

We just booked on the July 14. Is there a reason everyone chose the following week? I can switch if we should. It is my husband and I, plus our 3 older daughters (18, 22, and 24). My in laws were thinking of coming. They are in their late 80's….thoughts? Thanks!

'Cuz we're cool. :) Just kidding. I'm actually trying to predict when my kids' summer activities will be and that seemed the best compromise between likely multiple camps and marching band dates. We are definitely not set in stone and it may change if needed.

We just booked on the July 14. Is there a reason everyone chose the following week? I can switch if we should. It is my husband and I, plus our 3 older daughters (18, 22, and 24). My in laws were thinking of coming. They are in their late 80's….thoughts? Thanks!
I picked the 3rd sailing because I do a Summer Musical each year with the local Arts Council, and it always goes up the second weekend in July. :) And I liked the Westbound itinerary with Prague afterwards. But you all should want to cruise with me! ;)

I'm thinking your inlaws will love it. There's a lot of choices of activities, and the Adventure Guides will spoil them. Up until recently, river cruising was an "older folks" thing, anyways!

Sayhello

It starts with Hungary though, right? Does that mean the final party becomes the welcome dinner?

OK, here it is! The Meets Thread for the new ABD Danube River cruises! Post here to talk & share about this trip.

Let me know if you sign up for one of these cruises, and I'll add you to the Roll Call so you can hopefully connect with other DISers on the same departure.

Roll Call:

Current:
  • Jul 14 - 21, 2016 - tsgirl, husband & 3 older daughters (18, 22, & 24)
  • Jul 21 - 28, 2016
    • - Sayhello
    • - aggiedog, DH, kids (16, 16, 13 & 10), & aggiedog's parents
    • - Hlee, husband, daughter (8) & Hlee's mother-in-law
  • Dec 22 - 29, 2016
    • - sabremc & daughter (11)
    • - acndis, DH & DS (9)
    • - Kez250, DH, DD (13) & DS (15)
We signed up yesterday for our first ABD for December trip. Me, husband, daughter(13) then, daughter (11) then, and my sister in connecting cabins.

Just a note to Tsgirl. In Europe there is no ADA (American Disability Act) laws. There are areas where anyone with walking problems may have problems accessing. The ramp on and off the ships are skinny and some times you must climb through a couple river boats tied up together to get to the dock. A number of cobblestone older town areas aswell as hilly terrain in towns like Melk. I know today 80 is the new 60 and many, many function better than the younger folks but I just want you to know what to expect and since you know your in-laws ability make an informed decision. I hope they can travel with you for there is nothing greater than an extended family sharing priceless memories. You will fall in love with the romantic Danube and all it's history.

It starts with Hungary though, right? Does that mean the final party becomes the welcome dinner?
Correct. There's dinner and a magic show and the Illuminations cruise for the Welcome Dinner instead of the Farewell Dinner. If you go to the Daily Itinerary on the ABD website, there's a drop-down to switch between the Eastbound and the Westbound cruises.

Just a note to Tsgirl. In Europe there is no ADA (American Disability Act) laws. There are areas where anyone with walking problems may have problems accessing. The ramp on and off the ships are skinny and some times you must climb through a couple river boats tied up together to get to the dock. A number of cobblestone older town areas aswell as hilly terrain in towns like Melk. I know today 80 is the new 60 and many, many function better than the younger folks but I just want you to know what to expect and since you know your in-laws ability make an informed decision. I hope they can travel with you for there is nothing greater than an extended family sharing priceless memories. You will fall in love with the romantic Danube and all it's history.
Thanks for the reality check, carpenta. I've never done a river cruise, so things like that didn't occur to me. Great information!

Sayhello

We signed up yesterday for our first ABD for December trip. Me, husband, daughter(13) then, daughter (11) then, and my sister in connecting cabins.

Yay! My daughter will be just a couple of weeks shy of 11 for this trip. I wonder how they will break apart groups and guides...it will be interesting to see. This itinerary really appealed to me, as did not having to move hotels so much. I think that will be a bit easier with a child along. Kind of like combining ABD and DCL into one. Are you doing the post-trip Prague? We are considering it, though I've been to Prague a number of times and would feel comfortable doing it on my own. I think DD might like to have kids along though. We might try to go over early and take in some of the castle region around Fussen. I did that back in college and it was so pretty. Ugh, so much to think about! We have B2B cruises coming up in a little over a month thought (Baltic and then Norway), then Disneyland Paris, so I need to get through that trip first, lol.

Yay! My daughter will be just a couple of weeks shy of 11 for this trip. I wonder how they will break apart groups and guides...it will be interesting to see. This itinerary really appealed to me, as did not having to move hotels so much. I think that will be a bit easier with a child along. Kind of like combining ABD and DCL into one. Are you doing the post-trip Prague? We are considering it, though I've been to Prague a number of times and would feel comfortable doing it on my own. I think DD might like to have kids along though. We might try to go over early and take in some of the castle region around Fussen. I did that back in college and it was so pretty. Ugh, so much to think about! We have B2B cruises coming up in a little over a month thought (Baltic and then Norway), then Disneyland Paris, so I need to get through that trip first, lol.

We are doing Prague! Super-excited. You will love ABD and your daughter is the perfect age. We started my son when he was 4. Most of the kids on our trips have been in the 10-15 range so he has always been the youngest. However, he has still found great friendships and LOVED the Junior activities.

We have never been to Prague so we thought letting Disney plan it would be easiest!

We are doing Prague! Super-excited. You will love ABD and your daughter is the perfect age. We started my son when he was 4. Most of the kids on our trips have been in the 10-15 range so he has always been the youngest. However, he has still found great friendships and LOVED the Junior activities.

We have never been to Prague so we thought letting Disney plan it would be easiest!

Awesome! That's great to hear. Honestly, we have wanted to do ABD for some time, but the whole hotel changing thing and the pace of it just hasn't been right for us. We did Europe when she was 4, doing our own touring and then a 10 night Med cruise, and that was great. We went at our own pace, took lots of breaks (she was still napping in the afternoon then) and did the activities we wanted. So, I think this trip will really work out well for us and how we like to travel. We do plan to do ABD for China in a few years, but she will be older then. It is just me and her, so I'm hoping she meets lots of other kids to entertain her! I know she'll miss the club/lab like on the cruise ship, but it sounds like they have lots of events for the "junior adventurers" planned. Anyway, great to hear there will be a good range of ages onboard!

Out of curiosity, I called ABD and our July 14 trip has over 100 people with money down, 20 cabins on hold, and over 20 teenagers between the ages of 13 and 17. That is pretty incredible in only 3 days! The ship only holds about 150 passengers!

Out of curiosity, I called ABD and our July 14 trip has over 100 people with money down, 20 cabins on hold, and over 20 teenagers between the ages of 13 and 17. That is pretty incredible in only 3 days! The ship only holds about 150 passengers!
That's amazing! Thanks for sharing that. That's a pretty impressive start.

You aren't on the "meets" list. How old are your teens?
We aren't on because we are hoping to switch to the DVC cruise and depending on what we find out about ABD china we may switch to that for 2016 and do the river cruise 2017 assuming they are a success. Too many decisions (but all fun :))

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter